tmaxx wont start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds like it may be hydrolocking, the first thing to do would be remove the glow plug, turn it upside down, and crank it for 2-3 seconds, then replace the glow plug and try again. While you have the glow plug out, test it separately with an igniter if you have one, or just throw in a new one since that one is old and has been run for a while.

Last edited:
It sounds like it may be hydrolocking, the first thing to do would be remove the glow plug, turn it upside down, and crank it for 2-3 seconds, then replace the glow plug and try again. While you have the glow plug out, test it separately with an igniter if you have one, or just throw in a new one since that one is old and has been run for a while.
Ok I will try that. The glo plug is new and I have tested it with my igniter and it works.

Unfortunately that did not work. The ez start will still sometimes freeze but it’s happening less often now. I still have the grinding noise too. Also noticed gas is leaking. Looks likes it from the motor and exhaust. Way too much gas comes out from exhaust pipe too.

Using the ezstarter, I constantly had the one way slipping. If it stops spinning, maybe a lose wire or connection on the starter or something inside the starter motor?

The grinding may be the "starter box" so to speak as it has plastic gears and I stripped one before.

If your spitting, it may be too rich. I would factory reset the carb. If its a darker color, check header screws and gaskets.

The clutchbell wont spin from a starter motor, so I'm eliminating that.

https://traxxas.com/support/Factory-Carburetor-Settings-TRX-25-25R-and-33

Using the ezstarter, I constantly had the one way slipping. If it stops spinning, maybe a lose wire or connection on the starter or something inside the starter motor?

The grinding may be the "starter box" so to speak as it has plastic gears and I stripped one before.

If your spitting, it may be too rich. I would factory reset the carb. If its a darker color, check header screws and gaskets.

The clutchbell wont spin from a starter motor, so I'm eliminating that.

https://traxxas.com/support/Factory-Carburetor-Settings-TRX-25-25R-and-
My clutch bell spins when I try to start it. I have already tried to factory reset carb it didn’t fix that issue. Should I open up my gear box to see if I have a stripped gear?

I would open the starter housing and look at the gears. I would also take the clutchbell off and check the spring.

Not as helpful but I know EZ start can be a pain in the ass.
It will start cranking the car, and then as soon compression increases due to fuel being sucked in, EZ start becomes too weak to crank it further.
Then if you keep holding the button while this happens, EZ start motor starts smoking.
Happened on every EZ I owned, and I tried different batteries.
In the end, its best to use a 2S lipo with it, rather that NIM that it came with.
If the engine is newish and has good compression, EZ will have a hard time starting it.
For this reason, I installed Rotostart on all my traxxas cars.

Not as helpful but I know EZ start can be a pain in the ass.
It will start cranking the car, and then as soon compression increases due to fuel being sucked in, EZ start becomes too weak to crank it further.
Then if you keep holding the button while this happens, EZ start motor starts smoking.
Happened on every EZ I owned, and I tried different batteries.
In the end, its best to use a 2S lipo with it, rather that NIM that it came with.
If the engine is newish and has good compression, EZ will have a hard time starting it.
I have seen smoke before too. I will look into that

That’s what I thought at first, I will try to order one to see if that fixes it. That still doesn’t solve the grinding noise though. No gears looked shredded

Took off my exhaust pipe and all of this came out. Any ideas why?

image.jpg

Rich tune, battery can't glow and turn starter, and bad glow plug, any single or combination would be my guess.

Hi

Yes, you are running too rich, which make it even harder on EZ to crank the engine.
Do you have a 2s lipo that you can run EZ on? Lipo will give you a bit more power than stock NIMH battery.

Maybe post a video of the prob...so we can see whats going on.

Hi

Yes, you are running too rich, which make it even harder on EZ to crank the engine.
Do you have a 2s lipo that you can run EZ on? Lipo will give you a bit more power than stock NIMH battery.

Maybe post a video of the prob...so we can see whats going on.
Ok I will try to get a video

Yup. A spring is supposed to go around it and allow it to expand.