Tips on how to remove stripped hex screws.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
I am like my grandfather and uncle. I over torque/ over tighten a lot of screws. And I stripped a few. What are some tips to get them out? One is holding the trans onto the chassis. I never opened up the trans on my slash so going to inspect it before upgrading to brushless on it.

I am like my grandfather and uncle. I over torque/ over tighten a lot of screws. And I stripped a few. What are some tips to get them out? One is holding the trans onto the chassis. I never opened up the trans on my slash so going to inspect it before upgrading to brushless on it.
if you have a welder weld a piece of metal onto the end of the screw and twist it if not try to get it to catch onto the spot wheres its the least stripped also if you can get it out and brake off the screw head use plyers to unscrew it hope one of these ways helps

Pics?
Can you try a vrand new allen? Sonetimes that works for me. Another trick idms do dremel a slit and use a flat head. I've done that quite a few times.

Dremel trick works pretty good. Make sure you're using quality tools that have good sharp edges on the hex. If the start to round off youll strip a lot of screws that way.

Quality tools are KEY in this hobby. If you have a torx wrench you can fit in the screw socket tightly, that will usually work. Heat the screw a little with a soldering iron first, since it's just going into plastic, a little heat should loosen it up.

One tip... put some force inward on the driver as you turn. You need the tip of the tool to dig into the material that may be left at the bottom of the hex socket and get a bite.

Whats up bud. What type of screw you trying to get out. A cap head, button head. The dremel cutting trick works well if you cam get to the head of screw.

But good quality tools are definitely key in the hobby. To get a good tight fit in the head of screw. Once your hex tool doesn't have a good fit. They will start to strip screws.

I personally updated all my old tools recently. I purchased "A+" tools made by Team ED's rc tools. Made with spring rolled steal. They have been used and around since the 80's. Very good quality tools at a good price.

And finding the happy medium between tight and too tight. You don't have to make the screws super tight. Especially if your useing lock tight.
16634165999264678313706262412234.jpg

Whats up bud. What type of screw you trying to get out. A cap head, button head. The dremel cutting trick works well if you cam get to the head of screw.

But good quality tools are definitely key in the hobby. To get a good tight fit in the head of screw. Once your hex tool doesn't have a good fit. They will start to strip screws.

I personally updated all my old tools recently. I purchased "A+" tools made by Team ED's rc tools. Made with spring rolled steal. They have been used and around since the 80's. Very good quality tools at a good price.

And finding the happy medium between tight and too tight. You don't have to make the screws super tight. Especially if your useing lock tight. View attachment 152681
Agreed. Team EDS and A+ tools are Hudy quality for half the price.

Agreed. Team EDS and A+ tools are Hudy quality for half the price.
Hell yeah. You put me on to these tools. THANK YOU!!! And I must say I'm very happy with the quality of them. Very well built. And a good feel in my hand. Also at a very good price. You don't have to spend ridiculous amounts of money for good quality tools. Just have to do research and not believe that higher the price the better the tool. That's not always the case. LOVE TEAM ED'S 👍👍👍

Hell yeah. You put me on to these tools. THANK YOU!!! And I must say I'm very happy with the quality of them. Very well built. And a good feel in my hand. Also at a very good price. You don't have to spend ridiculous amounts of money for good quality tools. Just have to do research and not believe that higher the price the better the tool. That's not always the case. LOVE TEAM ED'S 👍👍👍
Yeah, I've had my core set of EDS wrenches for over 10 years and the edges on the tips are still sharp. I also like the fact that they sell replacement tips for them just in case so you dont have to buy the whole wrench over again if something were to break.

Here are some. I think the 2 smaller ones one the top are stripped. And those screws are probably from one of the screw kits I have. And I was planning to get new tools too. Thinking about MIP or Protek tools. Once I get a new set ill have my dynamite tool kit in my hauler for when I go out.

20220917_101929.jpg

20220917_102006.jpg

Here are some. I think the 2 smaller ones one the top are stripped. And those screws are probably from one of the screw kits I have. And I was planning to get new tools too. Thinking about MIP or Protek tools. Once I get a new set ill have my dynamite tool kit in my hauler for when I go out.

View attachment 152693

View attachment 152694
MIP makes some good drivers. I dont have any experience with protek tools. Just make sure you either buy tools that are made from hardened tool steel like the MIP tools or buy tools made from rolled spring steel with precision ground tips like Team EDS, A+, or Hudy.

Those don't look too terrible. Good drivers should get those out. But I wouldn't use those screws again.

MIP come highly recommended. If not for having a decent set of drivers already, I would buy those.

good driver left handed drill bit easy out. even grind down over sized alien . and a Dremel tool cut a slut used a flat screwdriver back that out

@WickedFog I got that set of dynamite tools that you mentioned in that thread. I got those tools about 6 years ago and still work and in good condition.
20220917_110555.jpg

Also just got that screw out. Going to replace it with another new one.

@WickedFog I got that set of dynamite tools that you mentioned in that thread. I got those tools about 6 years ago and still work and in good condition. View attachment 152695
Yeah, mine are still going strong, and look like new. The only problem I've had is I broke one trying to use it for a prybar, and it costs almost as much as a new tool just to replace the tip 🤣

@WickedFog I got that set of dynamite tools that you mentioned in that thread. I got those tools about 6 years ago and still work and in good condition. View attachment 152695
Its kind of a bad pic so maybe its just the pic but the corners of your hex drivers dont look very sharp to me. They look a bit dull and rounded off. Compare yours to these pics and see if they look a bit rounded. If they do then Id replace them.
20220917_113908.jpg
20220917_113550.jpg

Bought my Dynamite set right before Breydon turned 3. He is now 10-1/2.

The left one is my .050" for the SCX24's. Y'all know how much that one has been used lately lol.
20220917_120129.jpg

And these Dynamite ones have the slightest edge break on the tips from deburring at the factory.

Last edited:
Something I've been doing recently to revive old worn hex wrenches with rounded edges is to file the end down with a grinder or belt sander to remove the rounded section and get back up to the sharp edge. Works pretty well.

If you have a set of torx bits, I've had pretty good luck using the torx bit that is just barely too big to fit in the hole and then, using a swing press (aka hammer) drive it into the hex head bolt.

If all else fails, left handed drill bits are your friend.

Something I've been doing recently to revive old worn hex wrenches with rounded edges is to file the end down with a grinder or belt sander...
Just be careful not to overheat the tool. You can easily take the temper out of a tool with a grinder. If you take the temper out, the bit will be softer, and wear out much quicker.

Back