Throttle issues

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Awhal82582

RC Newbie
Reaction score
First time post! I’m in need of some help! So I have 2 cheaper RC’s on Amazon (Soyee). A 1/16 scale truck, and a 1/10 scale dual motor truck. Both having the same issues. I can run them for a few minutes, but then throttle drops out. But I still have steering. Both have been taken apart and cleaned. I’ve rebuilt the smaller truck with a new ESC, and motor. The larger truck has been cleaned with new diffs, shocks and batteries just in case that was the issue. The ESC will flash after it happens.

what type of batteries. what are they at voltages? thats were id start
esc flashing usually means something look up esc . there should be info on flashes.

That truck comes with LiOn batteries according to the description. But if you look at the photos it shows two LiPo packs. So show what batteries you got with them.

Last edited:
Yea sound like lvc. Mean your batteries are dead or to low. To supply the esc with power

It comes with 2 1600mah LiPo’s. I figured I’d try new ones. So I got a set of hard case 2s’s to test. It ran longer without shutting down, but still shut down.
EECC27B0-9BE3-4478-82FD-8815646D9810.jpeg
564D8259-63A2-40F1-8CFC-3A1605A37AF5.jpeg

Then it thermal shut down. Does it work again after a while of sitting there. And then it happens again after you run it. What type of driven up and down the street aka speed runs or bashing with the full throttle all the time?

If I cycle power it will work fine again for a bit. ESC doesn’t even have time to warm up before it shuts down/errors out. Think I ran it for I’d say 5 minutes at the most before it went out on the new battery today. Through some shorter grass, but mostly up and down the sidewalk a few times. Varying speeds to test it out. Nothing crazy. When it does go out it blinks about 1x a second, with a very dim constant light. It normally just stays lit when on.
Then it thermal shut down. Does it work again after a while of sitting there. And then it happens again after you run it. What type of driven up and down the street aka speed runs or bashing with the full throttle all the time?

If I cycle power it will work fine again for a bit. ESC doesn’t even have time to warm up before it shuts down/errors out. Think I ran it for I’d say 5 minutes at the most before it went out on the new battery today. Through some shorter grass, but mostly up and down the sidewalk a few times. Varying speeds to test it out. Nothing crazy. When it does go out it blinks about 1x a second, with a very dim constant light. It normally just stays
Did you calibrate your controller to the new esc.?
If I cycle power it will work fine again for a bit. ESC doesn’t even have time to warm up before it shuts down/errors out. Think I ran it for I’d say 5 minutes at the most before it went out on the new battery today. Through some shorter grass, but mostly up and down the sidewalk a few times. Varying speeds to test it out. Nothing crazy. When it does go out it blinks about 1x a second, with a very dim constant light. It normally just stays
Did you calibrate your controller to the new esc.
If I cycle power it will work fine again for a bit. ESC doesn’t even have time to warm up before it shuts down/errors out. Think I ran it for I’d say 5 minutes at the most before it went out on the new battery today. Through some shorter grass, but mostly up and down the sidewalk a few times. Varying speeds to test it out. Nothing crazy. When it does go out it blinks about 1x a second, with a very dim constant light. It normally just stays lit when on.
Did you balance charge the lipo battery fully. You might have to bind/calibrate controller to esc again. Try that and just keep tiers off ground so doesn't shot a across floor. Did you check and make sure the wires are all plugged in tight and in correct channels 1) steering 2) esc/throttle.

Last edited:
The ESC in this truck I posted pictures of isn’t replaced. The 1/16 was changed along with the motor, and it acted the exact same as it did before the swap. As for calibration.. I have yet to find the correct way to re bind or calibrate the esc. Tried holding the button down, holding the throttle down while turning the truck on. They don’t have any other buttons or resets. Both trucks will operate on each other’s transmitter. They always have. They will lock on a different frequency if both on though. Regardless of transmitter they both do the same thing. The smaller truck drops out as soon as I hit throttle though. I’ve tried disconnecting steering in both just in case it was a bad servo. No luck. The only thing left would be the transmitter..

Or your esc. Or a bad solder joint.you could take out the motor and touch the red to red and black to black on your battery. If the motor runs its your esc. Did see if the transmitter works other vehicle? Since it works both you said?

Yeah, I tried seeing if run time was different if I used the opposite transmitter on both trucks and it didn’t make a difference. Soldier joints looked good. And I’m getting full voltage to the motors. The larger model is soldered directly to the esc leads, the smaller has a connector. Tested both before putting it bad together. Just doesn’t make any sense that I changed 1 esc and the issues continued. Unless the esc’s just suck.

Yeah, I tried seeing if run time was different if I used the opposite transmitter on both trucks and it didn’t make a difference. Soldier joints looked good. And I’m getting full voltage to the motors. The larger model is soldered directly to the esc leads, the smaller has a connector. Tested both before putting it bad together. Just doesn’t make any sense that I changed 1 esc and the issues continued. Unless the esc’s just suck.
That is a very good possibility. That the esc took a crap. Transmitter won't change drive time. That is from the mah of your batteries

The problem with Toy grade RCs is they dont use standard hobby grade electronics and most of the time little to no documentation can be found on them. You need to find out what the blinking led mean on the ESC. Hopefully that information is in the manual. I tried to look it up but I can't find the manual online.

If that info can't be found then the next thing I would do is get a temp gun and run the kit until it stops and then see what the esc and motor temps are. That will at least prove or rule out thermal shutdown.

Just out of curiosity what are you using to charge the new 5000mAh LiPos?

Are the motors getting any voltage after the ESC shuts down and starts blinking?

For the time being I’m just using a usb charger. Only ran through 1 charge to test. And no, no voltage to motors after it cuts out. Just the esc blink. Manual doesn’t give me any info as to what it is. No error coding in it at all. I’ve yet to find any info about the esc at all! I haven’t shot it with a temp gun, but will say nothings warm to the touch when it does it. I really just want to get the trucks back up for the kids. Got my 5 year old into it and he’s been getting better with it. Throttle setting all the way down that is!

For the time being I’m just using a usb charger. Only ran through 1 charge to test. And no, no voltage to motors after it cuts out. Just the esc blink. Manual doesn’t give me any info as to what it is. No error coding in it at all. I’ve yet to find any info about the esc at all! I haven’t shot it with a temp gun, but will say nothings warm to the touch when it does it. I really just want to get the trucks back up for the kids. Got my 5 year old into it and he’s been getting better with it. Throttle setting all the way down that is!
You NEED a good LiPo balance charger. Watch some vids on LiPo charging, find a decent charger. If you need help picking one, tell us your budget. You will need adapter cables to to mate to your battery as well. Do this ASAP.

Oh thats not really charging your lipo battery. You need a balance charger. That battery is probably dead. And That's why your RC isn't working.

Agreed. Sounds like the LiPo isnt really getting charged much and when you put it back in the truck its quickly hitting low voltage cut off.

A lipo should be balanced charged. And supervised while charging. They are VERY sensitive batteries. You can see on my venom quad. All the cells are been charged individually. At a 2amp charge rate. The USB charger won't and can't charge lipos correctly sorry bud
Do you have a electrical meter? Or a battery capacity checker. Like either of these?
16277379112935402397830225285783.jpg

You can use them to check your battery charge levels.a full 2s 7.2 lipo should be 8.4 at full charge. Each cell will charge to 4.2.

Attachments

• 16277373633819050147126373647571.jpg
    16277373633819050147126373647571.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 16277374086708546815969090284305.jpg
    16277374086708546815969090284305.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 16277376128816350333396906121757.jpg
    16277376128816350333396906121757.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I borrowed a balance charger from the bro in law ( he has the same truck ). I charged the smaller pack, and the larger. Both continue to do the same thing. On the new 5200mah I’m reading 8.39v total, 4.2, and 4.19 on the cells. I ran it for like 3 minutes in the house and it cut out. Cycled power on the truck and it came right back on. I’d attach a few short clips, but it doesn’t look like I can. Only photos.

I borrowed a balance charger from the bro in law ( he has the same truck ). I charged the smaller pack, and the larger. Both continue to do the same thing. On the new 5200mah I’m reading 8.39v total, 4.2, and 4.19 on the cells. I ran it for like 3 minutes in the house and it cut out. Cycled power on the truck and it came right back on. I’d attach a few short clips, but it doesn’t look like I can. Only photos.
That esc is the problem then
Did you get it wet cleaning the RCs?