THINKING of getting a R/C Plane

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC/Racer

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hello everyone... I have been into R/C's for a long wile now & own 3 Traxxas Off-Road Rig's & enjoy very much running them. But I am also getting interested in R/C Aircraft... There's a guy that brings 2 WW-2 era R/C War Birds to the park where I run my Rig's on a Sunday Morning & I walked up to him & I was amazed on how these PLANES looked & even Flew.. He even gave me the controls on a B-25 bomber "of Course after he got it up pretty HI & let me make a few turn's & CLIMB & DIVE a bit"... After talking to him for a wile He directed me to a few R/C Plane sights. I have an aircraft in mind on what I would like to get on this 1 sight & they are a P-51 Mustang or a B-25 Bomber I am leaning toward the Bomber cause of it 2 engine prop setup but I do like the P-51... They say these PLANES are for newbee's & novice Flyers & come with CRASHPROOFING already installed in the Planes " WITCH IS A GOOD THING FOR ME " & come with a Lipo Battery & charger & controller & comes shipped ARTF witch stands for " Almost Ready TO FLY " & States about an HR of assembly time before FLY Ready.. I am assuming the plane comes shipped with the wings & tail not-together. The B-25 Bomber is around $400.00 shipped & the P-51 Mustang is about $370.00 shipped... I am thinking of Getting one of my choices this FALL. But my issues is I do not want it to be I TOTALY SHELF my OFF-ROAD RIG's for this plane.. What do you guys think.....

Honestly, you need to start off with a trainer plane like a Piper cub, or something that's high winged. Neither of the ones you listed are beginner aircraft, and also are more expensive as well when you crash, and you will crash, trust me. You do NOT want a multi engine bird for a starter either, again due to crash costs.

This is a great trainer, and very reasonably price as well as most LHS having parts as well, and it's RTF

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/super-cub-dsm-rtf-HBZ7400#t1

The Piper Cub is not a good trainer, even though it's a docile flyer. It's a tail dragger and will go on its nose in a bad landing. Look for anything that's tricycle gear like the one in the previous post or an Avastar.

Take it from them, you're not ready for low-winged aircraft. Start with a simple low-dollar plane as there are plenty of park flyers that can take a beating for a low cost. Get used to them before moving on up as you'll be going through a few planes as you move up. Get one that your LHS carries spare parts for like wings and props as you will probably be back for them.

Thanks guys for the input but I already took the plunge & ordered a T-28 War Bird From NitroPlanes.com It's an electric RTF plane & its for NOVICE Pilots but the Girl in customer service said if I watch the included DVD that comes with the plane before I take it out on it's 1st flight I should not have trouble FLYING it.. Flight time is 15-17 minutes @ Full Throttle & 20-24 minutes & 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.... It shipped today & I should have it by beginning of next week....

Last edited:
My first fixed wing was an E-Flite UMX T-28. They are fairly forgiving but as a high=wing trainer or something like a Cessna 172.

I hate to be a downer but you will crash that plane on your first flight. Your best bet is to keep that plane and go out and buy The Champ, it is the perfect park trainer. Flies nice and slow, easy to control and will teach you the muscle memory you will need in the air.

Yeah, you will crash. I had to replace the wing on mine after a tree jumped into my flight path and grabbed my T-28. lol Damn jumping trees.

noooooo.... all i can say is BIXLER 2

i am now on my 2nd one. at 70$ arf u can't go wrong

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ess_Motor_Servos_and_Optional_Flaps_ARF_.html

iv crashed mine a fair bit. i ended up building a 2nd one after i got use to landing etc. its a great plane and when u crash it u can just hot glue it back together. my mates have had noses snapped off completely and we just glue it back on. good as new. and i mount my gopro on the canopy with this mount and its works perfect. just put a kebab stick through the body and rubber band over and around the stick and if u have a hard landing it just pops off.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__22731__DIY_Bixler_FPV_Camera_Mount_.html

If you really want to get into planes, just go into it with an open mind and prepare to shrug off any potential frustrations that come with crashing. I'd pick up a simulator program and a good radio with enough channels to grow with. I purchased the phoenix simulator and a DX8 after I quickly crashed my first 800mm t-28 RTF. I did something stupid for 2nd plan and purchased a FMS 1400 T-28, and even with the DX8 (which I didn't understand all the programming functions, so it may as well not been a computer TX) I crashed that one just as fast, if not faster. My third plane was the plan that really taught me how to fly (and figured out expo, which is your friend) I went through three of these and still have the third along with eight others up to 80". So my point is my suggestion on a good plane to learn is:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...EPO_PNF_USA_Warehouse_.html?strSearch=Pioneer

get a super cub dsm best plane to start of with, well for many anyways, steps i took before jumping the gun.

1. Simulator for about a week.
2. Fired up the supercub
3. wrecked, lost, broke, repaird.
4. about a month into the supercub i felt comfortable to get a warbird. FMS Giant Focke-Wulf
5. Flying around like a dream.

Last edited:
engines at the front is not the best way to start flying.... you crash nose first and you basically up for a new motor/prop. at least with near mount motors its the last thing to get hit.

Invest in a descent radio and build your own. Thousands of free plans on rge web and building materials are dirt cheap. Adams Foam Board (Dollar Tree Foam) is very popular at only $1 per sheet, most planes can be built for just a few bucks. If you crash, it a little hot glue and your ready to go again. If you destroy it, build another. Electronics are really cheap also.

Brushless motors / esc combos - less than $20 (move from plane to plane)
Servos - $3 or less
Receivers - $10
Batteries - $10 usually less

Check out Scratch-Built Foamies.

If you build one you will be hooked.

-Buk

My advice would be, regardless of what "starter" plane you buy, have the man at the park put you on a buddy box and have him teach you how to fly. It's not as easy an it looks...to start out with.

I've had over 100 planes probably, from .40 all the way up to a 1/3 scale Cap with a Zenoah G62 engine. They all fly different.

Have an experienced pilot train you and you won't get as frustrated from smacking the ground. It's a proven fact, no trainer equals alot of crashing. Always remember, take-off is optional..landing is mandatory. It will come down...somewhere...somehow.

Flying is fun, enjoy it mate.

Back