My Best Beginner RC Plane Advice

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you so much! I highly recommend electric planes to learn how to fly. Gas or nitro are both far too finicky for consistency while learning to fly. Electric planes work or they don't and are more crash resistant/repairable in foam form. Balsa planes turn into a pile of toothpicks after a good beginner style crash.

Once flying skills are developed, that is when I would suggest a cool kit like that one. I hope this post helps!
Thank you!
I got so many questions to ask, dont know even where to begin.
I get what you are saying regarding balsa kits, crashing and all that, but they are so satisfying to build.
Would you recommend I go with a foam model first?

Too late, I just purchased this model today, I could not resist for the price.
On the box, it says rubber or gas powered, how difficult would be to install a brushless set up on it?

Thanks!

1685322384012.png

Thank you!
I get what you are saying regarding balsa kits, crashing and all that, but they are so satisfying to build.

On the box, it says rubber or gas powered, how difficult would be to install a brushless set up on it?

Thanks!

View attachment 166493
Great questions! My answer is yes. Please start with a nice foam kit designed to be a trainer. Warbirds like that one you show here are low winged and will last a minute in the air if you are lucky as a straight beginner. That is why most trainers are high-winged planes.

Some freaks of nature are able to pull it off due to amazing natural aptitude, but the majority of people wash out with the starting point of a plane like this. It also wouldn't hurt to connect with a local RC Club for some hands on help.

To answer your question, balsa does fly better, provided you have the skill set to take advantage of the differences. Setup (trims, center of gravity (CG), and other details) will impact how things fly the most. This Spitfire has narrow landing gear and is the equivalent to a student driver trying to control a manual race car. It is a very tall order.

Please ask more questions. Giving back and paying the hobby forward matters a lot to me.

Great questions! My answer is yes. Please start with a nice foam kit designed to be a trainer. Warbirds like that one you show here are low winged and will last a minute in the air if you are lucky as a straight beginner. That is why most trainers are high-winged planes.

Some freaks of nature are able to pull it off due to amazing natural aptitude, but the majority of people wash out with the starting point of a plane like this. It also wouldn't hurt to connect with a local RC Club for some hands on help.

To answer your question, balsa does fly better, provided you have the skill set to take advantage of the differences. Setup (trims, center of gravity (CG), and other details) will impact how things fly the most. This Spitfire has narrow landing gear and is the equivalent to a student driver trying to control a manual race car. It is a very tall order.

Please ask more questions. Giving back and paying the hobby forward matters a lot to me.

Thanks

Are you able to tell me please, what gear will I need to make this build flyable?
I already own a futaba I believe 6 channel TX and RX, so that's sorted.

In terms of servos, motor ESC, what would you recommend, and what other bits and pieces will be required?

Many Thanks!

Honestly, I am the wrong guy to offer that kind of direction as that is an advanced build way out of the scope of what a beginner should do. I prefer BNF and PNP models that come with everything you need in the box, sans your battery and radio system.

There are so many ways you can go wrong with a kit like that. I have flat out avoided that part of the hobby for many reasons. I like to fly, but strongly dislike building lol

With that being said, RCGroups might have some information to help you with your kit. Also tell them you are a beginner and they will echo what I have said here about that not being a good choice for a beginner :)

Honestly, I am the wrong guy to offer that kind of direction as that is an advanced build way out of the scope of what a beginner should do. I prefer BNF and PNP models that come with everything you need in the box, sans your battery and radio system.

There are so many ways you can go wrong with a kit like that. I have flat out avoided that part of the hobby for many reasons. I like to fly, but strongly dislike building lol

With that being said, RCGroups might have some information to help you with your kit. Also tell them you are a beginner and they will echo what I have said here about that not being a good choice for a beginner :)
I am the opposite, I love building and fixing, flying is secondary.
Understood, I will get a foam plane and practice on that first, this build will be something I would like to get started in the background.
I will post here about my foam options and seek your advice.

Cheers

I have been flying RC for 27 years. I got my very first plane when I was 9 years old I received it as a gift and the person who bought it for me didn't know anything about airplanes...it was an extra 300...lol....by some miracle I was able to handle it just fine ...

I have been flying RC for 27 years. I got my very first plane when I was 9 years old I received it as a gift and the person who bought it for me didn't know anything about airplanes...it was an extra 300...lol....by some miracle I was able to handle it just fine ...
You are one of the chosen ones my friend! I was not, so I work hard to help folks like me succeed in the hobby :D

GB

You are one of the chosen ones my friend! I was not, so I work hard to help folks like me succeed in the hobby :D

GB
And your work is appreciated sir. I do what I can to help others in the hobby as well I have successfully thought a few people to fly myself one of witch is now far better than me lol

Thank you!

Thanks!

View attachment 166493
This kit is not designed to be RC...it is at best a gas control line airplane..I suppose maybe you could make an rc out of it but you would be better off using a kit that is designed for RC

This kit is not designed to be RC...it is at best a gas control line airplane..I suppose maybe you could make an rc out of it but you would be better off using a kit that is designed for RC
Thank you!

Bump for the after Christmas noobs trying to learn :)

Back