The "What did you buy today?" thread...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some truly wireless BT earbuds, with a magnetic charging case.

Ffcg9N7.jpg

Zero doubt those sound better, but I needed something with no wires for running. I have another pair with a short wire connecting the two, and once I start to sweat the cord sticks to me and yanks on the earbuds.

^^LOL I hate over the ear stuff. My ears are sweaty just looking at those vinyl ear cups. I have a fairly nice pair of Kicker headphones here, good sound, just never found a pair that are really comfortable that don't make my ears sweat after a short while.

^^LOL I hate over the ear stuff. My ears are sweaty just looking at those vinyl ear cups. I have a fairly nice pair of Kicker headphones here, good sound, just never found a pair that are really comfortable that don't make my ears sweat after a short while.
Yeah, I spent a long time finding headphones that would work for me at work after going with "open office enviorment", but I never found any that worked well with a PC based phone. Something always clashed, either with media playing or with the stupid softphone software. I ended up in an office, so now it's not an issue.

Anyway, I ended up with the bose AE2W's, which I now use at home on my home theater. They are basically a blueetooth version bose tri-ports and they were the most comfortable for wearing more than an hour. Not good for running though. Turn your head too fast and they would fly off.

I have a pare of plantronics like those klipsh ones that have the thing that rests on your neck. I hate them. Turn my head and they fall out of my ears. I just use a pair of skullcandy hesh grind's (or some other stupid kitchy name) when I'm on my PC at home. They are on-ear types and they pinch my head.

Stupid headphones.

I've got my new toy in. I've started a new thread in the Projects thread.

1539386142493.png

Still getting it dialed in for the first real printed item.

Yeah, I spent a long time finding headphones that would work for me at work after going with "open office enviorment", but I never found any that worked well with a PC based phone. Something always clashed, either with media playing or with the stupid softphone software. I ended up in an office, so now it's not an issue.

Anyway, I ended up with the bose AE2W's, which I now use at home on my home theater. They are basically a blueetooth version bose tri-ports and they were the most comfortable for wearing more than an hour. Not good for running though. Turn your head too fast and they would fly off.

I have a pare of plantronics like those klipsh ones that have the thing that rests on your neck. I hate them. Turn my head and they fall out of my ears. I just use a pair of skullcandy hesh grind's (or some other stupid kitchy name) when I'm on my PC at home. They are on-ear types and they pinch my head.

Stupid headphones.

Yeah, I just can't seem to get sound and comfort both in my price range. For gaming, I have an old set of Turtle Beach over the ear with a mic when I'm not playing in VR. They're ok for about 90-120min, after that, they start hurting my ears, but I don't sweat in them. At work, because I'm in such remote areas, I still use a pair of wired earbuds with a mic so it doesn't drain my battery any faster. I also still have an OLD pair of Skull Candy Full Metal Jackets, with the metal braided cord that are still going strong after something like 10 years (they stopped making them, probably because they wouldn't die LOL), but no mic.

The new wireless buds actually have pretty decent sound if you use the EQ on your phone, and seem to stay put really well. I'll know for sure once I get to run with them. I'm waiting to see a new ortho (mine retired) for a shoulder/elbow injury and need to make sure I'm okay to go run until I can get in. I'm going nuts with no fitness activities whatsoever in my life right now.

What big project are you going to print first?
The first really big project that I was looking at was a 3d Printed Cessna 152. Before that, I need to get it dialed in and learn to use it. This is my first Print:
1539572309825.png

Our main data center and CoLo facilities are growing fast, and thus are noisier than when I started. So, my old UE roll bluetooth speaker was no longer loud enough to hear over all the fan noise. So I picked up a JBL Flip 4 and carrying case over the weekend. I did a lot of research before buying, and settled on the JBL because the design includes passive radiators, and actually has audible low end for full range sound. Most of the BT speakers I've demo'd or researched lack big time in this area, even though they may be loud. I'm pretty blown away by how great it sounds for such a tiny speaker. I do run the stock EQ on my phone, and left the factory DSP in place on the speaker for protection at higher volume levels. Using a tone generator, I get audible smooth bass response down to 55hz, in something the size of a tallboy. Don't get me wrong, you're not going to shake the windows with it, but it's very impressive for what it is to my ears.

jKu0Evr.jpg

Passive radiators

aQfEh6q.jpg

55hz is LOW for such a small speaker. How is it powered, rechargeable battery?

55hz is LOW for such a small speaker. How is it powered, rechargeable battery?

I agree! Yeah, it has a rechargeable battery onboard. 3000mah if memory serves, and reviews say that below 75% volume, it should run for around 12 hours. It's got two 40mm drivers, and the two passive radiators, and 8w x 2 for power. Granted, I'm using a tone generator on my phone, but even JBL lists it as 65-20,000hz. But the 55hz is still audible to my ears, anything below that gets nothing at all.

So, it's not super scientific, but I downloaded an app for my phone and it confirms what my ears heard. I get audible response down to 55hz, but it really starts to kick at 60hz. Keep in mind this is at low volume levels, at night (I try to be a good neighbor), and from something the size of a tallboy. It's mind blowing to me they can get this kind of sound out of something this tiny. When I was growing up, we had battery eating boom boxes that had virtually no boom at all. :D

ijirGcG.png

Bought some manzanita wood for a new aquarium and a CRKT minimalist.

Red Dead Redemption 2, I've never understood why people call in sick for work to play a new video game release, until now. I didn't call in sick because I can't do that to my co workers, and I'm an essential service worker, but I'm off for a week starting monday.

Red Dead Redemption 2, I've never understood why people call in sick for work to play a new video game release, until now. I didn't call in sick because I can't do that to my co workers, and I'm an essential service worker, but I'm off for a week starting monday.
I'm not a console guy, but I've heard nothing but amazing things about RDR 2.