The Picco .26 Max Red Dot and shimming...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flatblack

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
OK, before I start the break-in process, I wanted to get some advice. I plan on running 30% nitro in the truck. Now I've read both sides of this conversation. Some say to add .1 mm shim, others say it's just fine stock.

Does anyone have hands-on experience with this? Also, I know older Picco's have had leak issues. Does this also exist in the .26 Red Dot? Should I pull off the back plate and such and seal up everything? Don't really want to crack the new mill open...but if it'll prevent headaches later, then I'll go for it.

Picco has addressed a lot of their leaky carb issues. Don't worry about it unless you see an obvious problem. Leave the head shims alone. It will run fine on 30%.

i got a red dot that i run 30% never put a shim in it its all stock

Sssshhhhheeewwww! This is good news. I really didn't wanna crack the thing open and mess with going to the hobby shop for a lousy head shim. I'll hopefully have the mill bolted in tomorrow. Then off to the parking lot for break-in!

I have a picco 26 max and ran it with .1 mm shim removed on 20% and the engine did not like this at all. Ran good for a few tanks then lots of problems. I will probably run fine in your situation, but adding .1 mm shim will make it last longer, easier to tune and keep glow plugs in... 85 cent shim....200 dollar motor.

I just ordered this motor and I'm waiting for it to arrive since the manual is so outdated and poorly done.

How many shims come with the motor stock and what size?

I ordered a .1mm shim b/c i plan to break it in at 30% as well but i see they offer a .2mm shim. But when i mentioned about using the .2mm instead of stacking two .1mm shim the tech support guy thought i had no idea what i was talking about and maybe i don't b/c i don't have the motor with me but the manual shows 2 shims i believe?

already ordered the shim as it was advised by OFNA and others. But my question is still unanswered.

I ran into this with my Revo. Add the shim. All picco .26s come shimmed for 25%

And don't bitch people who aren't being paid to help you.

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

who is bitching? The guy made himself look like a fool b/c he clearly missed my post where i stated i don't have the motor yet. Again my question is how many shims come with the motor and what size are they? I already know it comes shimmed to run up to 25% which is why i ordered another shim. I want to avoid staking and might order a .2 but i don't know what it comes with and what sizes. Hence my question!!!

who is bitching? The guy made himself look like a fool b/c he clearly missed my post where i stated i don't have the motor yet. Again my question is how many shims come with the motor and what size are they? I already know it comes shimmed to run up to 25% which is why i ordered another shim. I want to avoid staking and might order a .2 but i don't know what it comes with and what sizes. Hence my question!!!

So I missed some details, big frickin' deal! I told you to run it as-is, it'll be fine, this isn't rocket science.

If you're gonna come in here acting like a little punk then you better prepare for a good punking.

Really?

You make a asinine post about why don't i take the motor apart when I already said i don't have it yet.

Then you follow it up by calling me a punk and threaten me by "punking" me over the internet. What are you in in the first grade.

Get lost if you have nothing positive to add to this thread. I didn't come here to argue with a child. I came to get an question answered, and you keep making yourself look like a fool. So do yourself a favor and do not bother posting if you don't have the answer to the question.

Some peoples kids....

Hey Guys, We are here to get some idea about the hobby , not fighting with each other. This is just a hobby to enjoy. All of us have different point of view and experience its up to us to follow or not what being shared. thanks.
For me if you want to make longer the life of your engine you can put shims, but if you are after the power let it go.

What's the difference between running 30% and 25%? It says to run 25% nitro 10% lube. what's the better type n brand?

I'd like to hear what's recommended from prople who have ran this engine n not the manufacturer recommendations.

What's the shimming for? Sorry, I'm seriously new with these RCs

Thanks again

Leave the shims alone unless you're some kind of hardcore rc racer.
The difference is 5% more nitromethane and 5% less methanol.

:hehe:

Obviously there is a 5% difference but i do not know what that 5% does or changes?

more nitro fuel content can give more explosion inside the compression chamber as the results it gives you more power and torque, even the timing changes and it depends also in the glow plug you use, 5% has a lot difference, try it then you will see, but you have to make some adjustment to your tune.

Yes it will give you slightly better performance. Nitromethane is an oxygenated fuel, which basically means the fuel is bringing in more oxygen to create a bigger bang.