The Crawl Chronicles

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peabody Town Forest 7/16/21

Car thermometer reads 99°, but it didn't feel oppressive. After work, I decided to start the weekend with a crawl session, but it would have to be a shorter session since we had dinner plans. Well, the session started out not so smoothly.
Arrived at the parking area, and as I'm getting Reaper ready, I come to find that I'd left the 4 body clips at home. Annoyed, but not a big deal since I only live about 5 minutes away. Got home, got the body clips, and gets a call from my wife that I need to go pick up our middle daughter from a friend's house....15min away. Ok, now this will cost me at least 30min. I'd decided to cancel the session. Take everything out of the car, and went to pick up my daughter.
After we got back to the house, I changed my mind and decided to go crawling again. It would just be shorter than my original plan. Pack up the car again and needed back to PTF. Got to the parking lot, douse myself with bug spray, getting the car ready and realized I forgot the remote! 😤 A few F bombs might have been uttered. Call it a day? Only 5 minutes away......this is gonna happen!

This is my first time hitting the trails with Reaper using the new Traxxas Canyon Trail tires. Wow, it's like driving a different vehicle, compared to the stock tires. This thing was crawling like a class ii rig! The only "mods" are some brass portal covers and different tires.
0716211723c.jpg
0716211728b.jpg
0716211729d.jpg

0716211747.jpg
0716211753.jpg
0716211756_Burst01.jpg

@WickedFog Seriously, don't trust @Xraycer , I heard he exploits his crawlers and rents them to the crawler slave trade. :eek: If you sent it this way, I would respect any crawler you built, and love it as my own. 😍

You can always get 1/24 scale micro crawler, still lots to upgrade, and you can make a course in a pretty small area and still have lots of fun.

@WickedFog Seriously, don't trust @Xraycer , I heard he exploits his crawlers and rents them to the crawler slave trade. :eek: If you sent it this way, I would respect any crawler you built, and love it as my own. 😍

You can always get 1/24 scale micro crawler, still lots to upgrade, and you can make a course in a pretty small area and still have lots of fun.
Oh, I wasn't saying you guys could keep them lol. I would just be sending them for a photo shoot lol.

Yeah, that is the plan. I don't have a lot of space in my RC room, but I have a few WPL crawlers, and will be grabbing a Deadbolt or two with the Furitek kit. Eventually I want to break into my model railroading scenery stuff and build a diorama. Thinking of making it modular so I can just keep adding onto it. I have about 5' x 8' I can play with, and can do some shelves for other levels. But that will be a few months out before I can start that.

Last edited:
@Xraycer Glad she's handling well, after the fiasco of getting her her actually on the trail!

I had a similar day today. Went flying this morning , everything was fine with my first flight of the day, and then I lost one of my planes. Not sure if it was signal loss, or loss of power, but I suddenly had no control, muttered "oh 💩 " and had no stick input as she came plunging back toward earth straight down. At this point my flying buddy is cringing as we hear the solid thump out in the field.

PSX_20210717_115803.jpg

She is a write off, cheaper to replace than repair. I think it bothers my buddy that I don't get more upset, but what is done is done.

So I brought the Sendero of Doom! With me this morning because there are some dirt hills near by I have been wanting to try. They were really loose and slippery but I did find a couple of lines I could fight my way up. It was still good fun and quite the challenge. I got my flying buddy to try for a bit, he really enjoyed it but handed the remote back after not too long and said "here I'm afraid I'm going to like it too much." I told him I hope so! Well after a few more tries up the hill my rear wheel shoots off! I'm thinking what the heck? Then I realized the inner axle was still attached to the rim. Not sure If It's missing any parts but I will give it a once over after lunch.

Here it is playing king of the hill, you will have to excuse the photo quality, with my sunglasses on I can't see my phone screen to get a good shot.
PSX_20210717_120141.jpg

@WickedFog I want to build a course in my garage for the micro crawlers as soon as the weather cools down again. I like the shelf idea! Modular is also good, you can change things up easier and keep it fresh

Last edited:

Car thermometer reads 99°, but it didn't feel oppressive. After work, I decided to start the weekend with a crawl session, but it would have to be a shorter session since we had dinner plans. Well, the session started out not so smoothly.
Arrived at the parking area, and as I'm getting Reaper ready, I come to find that I'd left the 4 body clips at home. Annoyed, but not a big deal since I only live about 5 minutes away. Got home, got the body clips, and gets a call from my wife that I need to go pick up our middle daughter from a friend's house....15min away. Ok, now this will cost me at least 30min. I'd decided to cancel the session. Take everything out of the car, and went to pick up my daughter.
After we got back to the house, I changed my mind and decided to go crawling again. It would just be shorter than my original plan. Pack up the car again and needed back to PTF. Got to the parking lot, douse myself with bug spray, getting the car ready and realized I forgot the remote! 😤 A few F bombs might have been uttered. Call it a day? Only 5 minutes away......this is gonna happen!

This is my first time hitting the trails with Reaper using the new Traxxas Canyon Trail tires. Wow, it's like driving a different vehicle, compared to the stock tires. This thing was crawling like a class ii rig! The only "mods" are some brass portal covers and different tires.
View attachment 129700View attachment 129701View attachment 129702
View attachment 129703View attachment 129704View attachment 129705
Just wait until you cut those tires- they get better!

Before

20210717_132400.jpg

After

20210717_132337.jpg

All I did was cut the triangular knob out of the middle two rows. They're surprisingly good!

Before

View attachment 129719
After

View attachment 129720

All I did was cut the triangular knob out of the middle two rows. They're surprisingly good!
I don't see why those don't already come like that. I mean, you can look at it and see it is better. Nicely done.

@Doom! - yeah, modular is nice for that. You just have to make the entrance and exit in the same places if you want to swap pieces around. Wouldn't be as hard to do on a crawler course. But like in model railroading, they would have get-togethers and everyone bring a module, and all the track had to line up. Really tough!

Last edited:

View attachment 129700View attachment 129701View attachment 129702
View attachment 129703View attachment 129704View attachment 129705
Dude that's a cool crawler love that gray body 😍 what scale is that 1/24 I'm guessing? And way to make the crawl happen man. You worked hard u deserve it. Well done looks awesome

@WickedFog Seriously, don't trust @Xraycer , I heard he exploits his crawlers and rents them to the crawler slave trade. :eek:
That has never been proven!
@Xraycer Glad she's handling well, after the fiasco of getting her her actually on the trail!

I had a similar day today. Went flying this morning , everything was fine with my first flight of the day, and then I lost one of my planes. Not sure if it was signal loss, or loss of power, but I suddenly had no control, muttered "oh 💩 " and had no stick input as she came plunging back toward earth straight down. At this point my flying buddy is cringing as we hear the solid thump out in the field.

View attachment 129717

She is a write off, cheaper to replace than repair. I think it bothers my buddy that I don't get more upset, but what is done is done.

So I brought the Sendero of Doom! With me this morning because there are some dirt hills near by I have been wanting to try. They were really loose and slippery but I did find a couple of lines I could fight my way up. It was still good fun and quite the challenge. I got my flying buddy to try for a bit, he really enjoyed it but handed the remote back after not too long and said "here I'm afraid I'm going to like it too much." I told him I hope so! Well after a few more tries up the hill my rear wheel shoots off! I'm thinking what the heck? Then I realized the inner axle was still attached to the rim. Not sure If It's missing any parts but I will give it a once over after lunch.

Here it is playing king of the hill, you will have to excuse the photo quality, with my sunglasses on I can't see my phone screen to get a good shot.
View attachment 129718

@WickedFog I want to build a course in my garage for the micro crawlers as soon as the weather cools down again. I like the shelf idea! Modular is also good, you can change things up easier and keep it fresh
Dang, sorry about the plane!

I'm glad you got some crawl time in with the Sendero. That's a really nice pic!

Before

View attachment 129719
After

View attachment 129720

I just recently saw a YT video on this very exact thing with Canyon Trail. I may do it as a long term project. Doing about a dozen snips at a time.

Last edited:
Dude that's a cool crawler love that gray body 😍 what scale is that 1/24 I'm guessing? And way to make the crawl happen man. You worked hard u deserve it. Well done looks awesome
Thank's, Bro! That is actually a 1/10 Axial SCX III.
0615211729a.jpg

Thank's, Bro! That is actually a 1/10 Axial SCX III.
View attachment 129728
Hell yeah you guys are really killing me with these crawlers. Was at HT last week almost walked out with that roller turbo got few weeks back. 100 and change can't remember. But wouldn't know what to get for those little guys. But I'm really itching for one 🤫🤫 don't tell the wife lol

No joke the wifey walked in garage to say light the grill. OOO what's that a jeep that a real jeep. NO dear that's racyers Rc. As I'm typing You back she say you can get that one.😏🤨 I just started laughing

Ok guys. I just can't take it no more. I am grabbing my son a Deadbolt. I would go ahead and get the Gray Chevy C10 as well, but it is backordered. So I am saving some money back for it when it comes in stock. I am ordering this from Tower. I have about $80 left in the budget I can use to buy some upgrades for the Deadbolt, so they all arrive with the truck. So help a brother out.

Love the tires on the Taco Truck @Pat_ranch. Love the stance too. What should I hopup first? Spend my $80 for me. Shocks? Wheels and tires? Brass hopups?

Thanks for getting me hooked! 😉

I finished up my SCX10 II kit and built another crawler with all the parts I have laying around. I'll buy a couple bodies when it gets closer to payday..;)

Last edited:
Perfect timeing bud thanks 🤣😂
So ? It that just a body or thats a rtr? I saw jeep at HT but only 1/24
Mine was an rtr. You can get it in kit form as well. They also have the Jeep Gladiato
Ok guys. I just can't take it no more. I am grabbing my son a Deadbolt. I would go ahead and get the Gray Chevy C10 as well, but it is backordered. So I am saving some money back for it when it comes in stock. I am ordering this from Tower. I have about $80 left in the budget I can use to buy some upgrades for the Deadbolt, so they all arrive with the truck. So help a brother out.
For $20, these made a big difference in performance!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JKBQGF...abc_ZZBHBCQGVJD8EGENE2XQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Cool Thread! Well Done. I guess when I am done with all my "in the attic" projects - I will need to build a crawler. That is one thing the son or grandson ever showed interest in. I showed my grandson a video of one of you crawling the other day, and he said "but they move so slow". We will get past that.

Cool Thread! Well Done. I guess when I am done with all my "in the attic" projects - I will need to build a crawler. That is one thing the son or grandson ever showed interest in. I showed my grandson a video of one of you crawling the other day, and he said "but they move so slow". We will get past that.
My son is the same way, but he is starting to come around after seeing Pat's Taco Truck vids.

Thanks @Xraycer

Last edited:
Back