The battle of the two buggies

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

studcow00

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I've pretty much decided on a .26 RTR for around 300,
ofna seems to be the brand I've come up with, and the 2 decent looking buggies are

LX comp rtr
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGUS1&P=ML
Or the
Ultra MBX Pro rtr
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAXV1&P=ML

the only differences i see is one is electric start (is that like the tmaxxes ez-start?) and the other is pull... and one kit comes with 2 yellow and 4 blue tires...

i need to know if these trucks are worth me looking at, if tower has a good price, but mostly, if those are garbage buggies and i should get a diffrent one all together (like lightning or something :shrug: )

man for a lil more u can get so much more car, radio, engine, etc...

try an hang in a lil longer and get a better piece. w/electric start too.

-Ult

yes this is true
look into a mayhem or a jammin even hyper

sounds good, maybe a better buggy, but i have no clue what kind of buggy to even look for

Mayhem and Jammin X1 RTR are great ones. I love my X-Terminator Deluxe, its another great one too look at, although the others are better for racing, and the X-T is for bashing.

i looked up 2 but not the mayhem hehe, the terminator looks cool... I'm not ready to throw around 500, 300 is a bit of a strech lol... if there was truley something diffrent in the buggys ide probibly get jammin or the term, but i just dont know what makes the cost diffrent, it seems they all use the same ofna force .26... i already have a MX3 and hitec ultra torque servo... i just dont know what makes them diffrent :(

If 300 is a stretch go with the regular X-Terminator. Its around $340 I think, and is much better than the Ofnas I think. The engine is much better. The difference in price is usually because of the materials used for certain parts. Like, the regular X-Term uses thinner shock towers, crappier tuned pipe, worse radio, non anadized parts, where as the Deluxe version has thicker towers, better pipe...etc and costs more.

I have a used Ofna Ultra MBX that I may be willing to part with...PM me for details. Would cost under $300 RTR...

Whatever you do... even if its under your price range, Dont get any COMP's. Plus, the Force .26 SUCKS trust me. Why do you want a .26? a XTM 24.7 is much better and the buggy is a WHOLE lot stronger and better than any LX or MBX comp. "STRENGTH" is key in this hobby, if you can get a stronger car for more money than a cheap car that will break, you'll save a bunch of money. I had an x-terminator for a year and I havent even broken one part on it. A wise investment.

I have the older lightning. It's not top of the line, but it's taken a hell of a beating from me. I got really lucky with the purchase. Bought it without electronics and engine for $80 off of fisherman. Maybe if he hits his head again you can get something from him!

I've run over just shy of two gallons through it. So far, I've bent one shock, cracked one rim and cracked a engine mount adapter. The engine mount adapter might have been cracked when I got it, the break looked old. But I can't ask for more for $80. I've beat the living crap out of it and buggies just beg to be ramped off stuff...

Yeah lightning or sacker as we no then are not bad, but we find that we go threw a fair few parts on them over here

well, I've owned a tmaxx2.5 and an rc10gt Plus... the rc10 was good for about 2.5 gallons, then it was physically decintragating, the chassy was so scraped i wore a hole in it, the throttle linkage became warped and had to be replaced, and chipped the motor heatsink lol... the tmaxx was great till i got big joes, a spool, and a sirio .18... i broke a billion parts that way lol... I'm aiming to get this buggy to bash and take to the track maybe once or twice ever. i dont want to get a used one... I've almost setteled on the ofna with yellow and blue wheels, cuz their 25 bux off, its 307.50 with overnight shipping.

damn lol, now I'm loocking at either the hyper 7 rtr with starter box, or the violator and getting the 2 speed converson... any exp with the 2 speed?

Get the Hyper. In fact, they have a new one out. I'll see if I can find the name of the new Hyper series.

I have a Hyper 7 PCR and I prefer it in most respects to my TTR SB4 S3. The only thing I love about my TT is the V-Spec motor.

ok, i was checking prices and trying to figure out preformance, it comes down to the more xpencive 3... ill list them in odds of me getting...
1) http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDUS7&P=ML i hear nothing but good things about the hyper and its motor
2) http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJDB5&P=ML this actually sounds better than the hyper... if it is, ima splurge to get it... i like how ppl have won races over mugen and kyosho with them

a weak 3rd is) http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHEX3&P=ML I've heard the lightning 2 pro is hella good... i dont see any pro only the rtr... this is just here as a tribute to the fun i have with my mamba8k lipo powered, nitro-killing Minizilla LOL

From what I read in a RTR buggy shootout, the lightning 2 RTR was a good rig, but the engine kind of sucked. The shootout was trying to figure out out of 5 (I think 5) RTR 1/8 buggys, which was best out of the box. I think it was either RC Driver or Xtreme RC that ran the article a month or two ago.

I know the lightning 1 can take a lot of punishment...

I'm in the same boat as studcow...trying to get a decent buggy for around 300...what are used buggies that are worth that much? Coz brand new, we're pretty much stuck with Comps lol

go get a mp777 sp1 (runs away crying)

I just got my new mayhem and its sweet!!! i got it rtr so it was nice. It comes with a sweet radio system and everything. Or you can get the xterm like buggyracer said that is sweet too. a hyper 7 pbs would be kinda nice too. :) :cheers: :)

i aint getting an xterm (ide get the delux...) just because towerhobbies dosent supply the parts... that is my LHS now lol! fiddlesticks hobbytownusa... fiddlesticking terrorist store or something, I've raised my budget to like five hundred bux... if the tmaxx sized servos fit 1/8 scale buggys, i have a servo... so a kit with an engine would be O.K... as far as RTR goes... I'm down to either the hyper7 PCR RTR w/ box, or the jammen RTR with shaft start... anyone want to look at tower hobbies buggies? i was thinking about getting the VIOLATER and putting the 2 speed kit into it (107.99).. but i dont know if 2 speeds are race legal lol

Back