Test the true MAH capacity of battery?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRX1

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
I want to test one of my batteries for the tru MAH capacity. Do I just discharge to 3.0v (from storage mode), then charge it til full? Then whatever is added is the true MAH? What could cause this value to be innacurate?

For NImh batteries I cycle them Run them down until the car stops and then use a stock motor to run the battery down until it stops. Wait then let the battery rest for 6 hrs. then slow charge over night and repeat. After several cycles I can then quick charge 1C and usually get the full Mah or more.

mah lose thru heat in charger or even solder joints.. 3.0v is below storage mode in my book..3.75 (a cell)is normal...

you can never test the true mah of a lipo .as you have a standing charge on battery that 1 can not go below those will always be unused mah no getting around that..some fyi . I was asked to test a 4000mah battery back in the day by a guy I knew that was going to sell these batteries and have his own label on them. he said run it hard and use as many mah as you can so I took a pack out and ran it for a2 minute practice lap and then a 7 minute qualifier , Gave him the pack pack he put it on his charger and a hour late came up to me and said man you took 3200mah outa that pack. how? he then sold100 of the 102 lipos he has purchased

With lipo you will never see the true mah rating. Never charge any faster than 1c rate.

I'd run it down to where your LVC kicks in, let it rest for 30 minutes, check the voltages so you know where LVC is, then fully charge. That's as close as your going to get as to how much you can get out of it. Running it down to 3V doesn't tell you much since your esc likely kicks in LVC before that. Going any lower than your LVC doesn't help you much.

you can charge a lipo at whatever the manual says its mac C charge is..I've charged lipos at 5c b4 never had a issue the ir dropped a few mohms..

Back