Tekno ET410 Truggy Kit

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Administrator
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
tekno-et410.jpg

After teasing us for a while with compatible parts and track side pictures – the Tekno ET4101/10th scale 4WD truggy kit is finally available for pre-order! Tekno is well known in the racing community, but their proven record for durability has started to get bashers interested as well and the ET410 is no exception.

Based off the popular EB410 4WD buggy, the new Tekno ET410 features new shock towers, shocks, body mounts, and new suspension arms. In addition the ET410 Truggy uses 1/10th AE offset stadium truck or traxxas slash short course offset wheels.

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Trying to squeeze 1/8 scale ESC in the chassis...:naughty:

The Hobbywing EZRun WP-SC8 fits. Heck, I think I have room for a 550 sized motor should the need arise. The 540 sized Speed Passion motor has a weird way of soldering motor wires on and makes it the same length as a 550 motor almost.

Now comes the fun part of finding the best place to attach/mount the receiver and routing the wires

Been kinda busy doing other things, and forgot about posting up some shots of my finished lil' monster.

Yeah, I know the stock plastic servo horn will probably crap out on me in short notice.

I was going to test everything with stock parts. After reading about turf guys having bulkhead issues, my main concern is the front bulkhead snapping. I thought I'd just go ahead and add some extra insurance. I had Trinity's camber plate bulkhead saver laying around; staring at me...on she went. Why wait to put it on? Right?

Exotek Racing makes a camber plate bulkhead saver as well. I just think Trinity hit it out of the park with their bulkhead saver plate. The chamfered silver edging/black anodizing is right up my alley.

I had to come up with an alternative mounting spot for the receiver since the BIG ol' WP-SC8 won't go on a weight loss program. I don't know how the Futaba FASST compatible receiver will hold up. I just could not bring myself to buy the $79 R603FF receivers each time I want to use my trusty 3PM radio to control another RC.

I went ahead and put on an aluminum servo horn, because the more I thought about it, I didn't want to hear, "I told ya so." :naughty:

Attachments

• 20190310_153451.jpg
    20190310_153451.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 364
  • 100_9005.JPG
    100_9005.JPG
    355.6 KB · Views: 619
  • 20190310_212428.jpg
    20190310_212428.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
I forgot to post finished product.

I'll admit, I absolutely hate painting RC car bodies. Prepping, masking, spraying, cutting, spraying, cleaning, spraying, cleaning...it's all tedious work to me, and I'm just not that good at it. Simple designs is all I'm good for :woot:. JConcepts Finnisher body was used instead of the stock Tekno body. I was just not feeling it.

It took awhile to have a perfect warm enough day. Anyways...

Attachments

• 100_9023.JPG
    100_9023.JPG
    422.5 KB · Views: 442
  • 100_9022.JPG
    100_9022.JPG
    419.1 KB · Views: 466
Last edited:
When the ET410 was being talked about in pre-release terms, people were going back and forth between the terms 4wd stadium truck, and 1/10 scale truggy. I planned on running the ET410 with your standard ST wheels, and tires. Somewhere between then, and now I got into a predicament/panic that I would not be able to find real off-road ST tires in the near future...you know, the big knobby type. That lead to me using some short course tires on my T4 stadium truck. That look you get from using narrower SCT tires on a 1/10 stadium truck really caught my eye, and resembled a mini 1/8 scale truggy. I liked that mini truggy look so much, I knew I had to run the ET410 "truggy" with SCT wheels and tires to truly get that winged truggy vibe.

During my outings with the ET410, I have concluded that the truggy is just as tough, or tougher, than my stadium/short course trucks. Landing awkwardly on each corner of the RC, I thought for sure I'd be looking at a bent hinge pin, or two. So far, so good :thumbs-up:! I'll give it a couple months for final verdict on the platform.

My only complaints about the Tekno RC 1/10 scale truggy is the rear springs not being long enough (for my liking), and wing material.

LOL. Wing? What wing? I got tired of trying to fix a lost cause. Maybe the lexan wings, that come with ET410 bodies, will last on a smooth astro, or carpet track. But, on a rough off-road "dirt" track...FORGET IT! Run without a wing? I can't do it. Too stupid looking IMO. The ET410 is a truggy. #GottaHaveWing

SWorkz to the rescue...

It's thick, and very flexible! It's the wing that Tekno RC should have included with the ET410 kit in the first place. Oh well. The SWorkz wing should last a very long time. I don't foresee it ever tearing.

The ET410 is quickly becoming my all time favorite RC. I though for sure it was going to fly somewhat nose heavy. Not the case at all. The truggy extremely well balanced on the ground and in the air.

The ET410 is quickly becoming my all time favorite RC.
I've heard this similar statement from a number of others. I have been toying with the idea for a while now about picking one up myself.

The stock rear yellow springs are too stiff to get desired ride height. I can't see anyone using the stock rear springs to get a low ride height, unless a different shock tower is used, or the coils are cut. I currently have to use the 2.61 lb/in, green springs in the rear (and find them just barely soft enough) to get the truggy's rear at "bones level" height that I strive for. This is only possible when rear spring collars are adjusted so that they are only touching the rear springs while the springs are fully extended. I will be getting the softer pink rear springs shortly, and they should be (hopefully) perfect for my situation.

I run my RCs on a rough off-road track (backyard) with little pebbles, and rocks imbedded in the soil (as show in picture below). A layer of the mixture is usually in the corners.

I never had issues with my 1/8 buggy getting something lodged in center diff gear, but the ET410 picked up a little something extra the other day.

That little pebble sure was reeking havoc with my ears. I couldn't pinpoint the grinding noise. At first, I thought the set screw on the pinion gear had come loose (like it did once before)...nope. I put the truggy down to do another lap and noise went away, until I smacked the rear end on a rut or something. Apparently that jarred something (pebble) the wrong way again.

This is the first time in two months that this has happened. If this was happening every time I threw the truggy into a corner, I probably would be disappointed to the max. It would be hard for me to let this platform go, and search for a 1/10 truggy with enclosed spur gear/slipper clutch setup.

Anyways, a big shout out to Tekno RC for using a 32 pitch center diff gear! I know, by the looks of things, I had some debris gone into; got chewed up, and spat back out.

I run my RCs on a rough off-road track (backyard) with little pebbles, and rocks imbedded in the soil (as show in picture below). A layer of the mixture is usually in the corners.
View attachment 119065
I never had issues with my 1/8 buggy getting something lodged in center diff gear, but the ET410 picked up a little something extra the other day.
View attachment 119066
That little pebble sure was reeking havoc with my ears. I couldn't pinpoint the grinding noise. At first, I thought the set screw on the pinion gear had come loose (like it did once before)...nope. I put the truggy down to do another lap and noise went away, until I smacked the rear end on a rut or something. Apparently that jarred something (pebble) the wrong way again.

This is the first time in two months that this has happened. If this was happening every time I threw the truggy into a corner, I probably would be disappointed to the max. It would be hard for me to let this platform go, and search for a 1/10 truggy with enclosed spur gear/slipper clutch setup.

Anyways, a big shout out to Tekno RC for using a 32 pitch center diff gear! I know, by the looks of things, I had some debris gone into; got chewed up, and spat back out.

have had similar things happen with my nephews RC10GT when i was tuning it in for him, and a few times had to clear rocks out of the driveshaft.
that truggy looks awesome anyhow, looks so aggressive.
kind of a strange question, what is the distance between body clips on that body/truck?

have had similar things happen with my nephews RC10GT when i was tuning it in for him, and a few times had to clear rocks out of the driveshaft.
that truggy looks awesome anyhow, looks so aggressive.
kind of a strange question, what is the distance between body clips on that body/truck?
Center to center body post measurements 250mm x 40 mm

The stock rear yellow springs are too stiff to get desired ride height. I can't see anyone using the stock rear springs to get a low ride height, unless a different shock tower is used, or the coils are cut. I currently have to use the 2.61 lb/in, green springs in the rear (and find them just barely soft enough) to get the truggy's rear at "bones level" height that I strive for. This is only possible when rear spring collars are adjusted so that they are only touching the rear springs while the springs are fully extended. I will be getting the softer pink rear springs shortly, and they should be (hopefully) perfect for my situation.
Well, after a couple months of using the truggy, I've noticed the rear end sagging. Not much, but like 4 to 5mm to where the rear CVA bones are below "bones level". That's exactly the ride height that I was after (should I need it), but couldn't achieve it. I tried to explain why in earlier post.

Now, the front springs have not allowed the truggy's front end to sag. I even loosened up the front spring collars one full turn, I think, to bring the front end down to "bones level".

I'll have to keep an eye on those rear springs.

Every time I put this RC on the track, I'm so thankful Tekno RC made the mini truggy a reality. Even though what happened next, this thing is stupid fun I tell ya.

First part to give out on this truggy, besides the Lexan wing, is the spur gear. In actuality, two-thirds of the spur gear got chewed up. Spares should be arriving today.

This is the second time this year that a pebble got lodged in the gears, but this time visible scarring occurred. I pried the pebble out, adjusted the mesh, and kept going. So far, I got three runs on the chewed up spur gear. I am quite impressed as I gave the ET410 all the abuse I could muster up. With a bit more noise coming from the gears, I'm just gonna see how long the gear can survive.

The stock wing mount is super flexible. Too flexible? I'm always having to force the wing back into position after a hard tumble. With the EB410.2 coming out, a new updated wing mount is now available. My search for a workaround has ended! Hurray! It will make my truggy one step closer to perfect.
TKR6546Bs.jpg

I thought all you Tekno mini truggy guys were crazy when you said your shocks leaked. I don't know that I read anything on this forum, but other interweb chatter had people scratching their heads. Then it happened about a month ago to me. Rebuilt the shocks with stock x-rings, and within one battery pack worth of laps, shock were leaking again...what the heck :unsure:.

I heard of people using Axial o-rings with great success, but all the online sources were out of them. I turned to HPI's 3.5x2mm o-ring offering.

Now that I have another set of shock seals to compare, I totally understand what's going on. The stock x-rings will almost slide down the shock shafts just with gravity alone. The HPI o-rings grab the shock shafts much more securely for a better seal. So far, so good :thumbs-up::thumbs-up:. No more leaks coming from the bottom of the shocks.

The Hobbywing EZRun 3652 4000kv is the motor I should have gotten in the first place. If I had a longer straightaway to run the truggy, I probably would have gone with the 4300kv Hobbywing G2 motor, but most days I turn down the throttle EPA to 85~90% to better keep control in the rough stuff with the 4000kv motor.
1599227084136.png

Going on two years now, and the ET410 is definitely one of the cheapest RCs to maintain. A torn wing, worn spur gear, and (worn?) o-rings were all the parts that I had to replace from the original kit to keep the mini truggy up and running. The Tekno ET410.2 has been out for awhile now, and has a couple of upgrades done to it. One of my main concerns, on the original ET, was the hinge pins. I'll probably continue using the 3mm hinge pins since my bad landing/tumbles have not been nasty enough to do damage.

Back