Tekin vs Castle

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sur3fir3

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
I am building a brushless LST2, and its going to be time to pick a ESC/motor combo. I have been looking at the Castle 2200kv combo, and the Teking Rx8 + 1550kv motor or a 1700. I have heard good and bad things about both, and have done countless hours of research. I know that older castle ESC's were known to fry(even catch fire). Is that the case still today?

I also read that the Tekin motors had a tendency of grenading the rotor... is that still an issue?

I know people who have both setups, and say the tekins run cooler, but usually they havent tried either or them in the same setup. so the information isn't scientific or anything.

I would be interested in hearing from someone who has either put a tekin rx8/1550 in their savvy, or put a castle 2200 in their lst2. I have to say though the castle warranty is better than Tekin on their ESC's.

Please give me any input. This setup is going to be my baby for the next year at least, and I really don't want to make the wrong decision.

I have the 1900kv RX8 system in my buggy, I think highly of this system, it's great IMO, easy to tune via hotwire too. Mine has run a little warm, and I'm going down one tooth on the pinion as Tekin tech support suggested to bring it into the proper operating temperature range. Oh, and Tekin customer service is A+. Other than the slightly warm issue, I'm real happy with Tekin products.
I'm not anti Castle either, I have a Castle ICE ESC and another BEC for a plane.

Heres a vid of my LST2-E with an RX and a 1550kv on 6S. 63/34 gearing (single speed conversion). I wondered the same thing about the castle 2200 and I do have one but its in another kit. I havent taken it out of my other kit to try it but Id say either way you go you'll be happy with the results You'll just have to gear lower with the 2200.

I went with the Tekin cuz I think they are better quality than Castle and I like the Dual Drive feature. Castle however can be had cheaper off of eBay.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbr7s6ewJRE"]LST2 E Conversion Bashing Vid - YouTube[/ame]

I have some pics here: https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=977575&postcount=124

Last edited:
^^^ any excuse to show off your badass truck? lol its ok I would do it too.. :)

I like Teken & Castle both have good product's on the market... But will say Teken's products have some cool looking artwork on there motors & ESC's.. & I myself would buy Teken products just of the Coolness factor...

^^^ any excuse to show off your badass truck? lol its ok I would do it too.. :)

I do like to show it off and youo gave me the perfect excuse! The video was so you could see what to expect from the Tekin 1550KV set up on 6S though so it was for a good cause! :)

I like Teken & Castle both have good product's on the market... But will say Teken's products have some cool looking artwork on there motors & ESC's.. & I myself would buy Teken products just of the Coolness factor...

Dont get me wrong I wasn't trying to hate on Castle I have Castle systems too and there 2200kv is a beast. What i really like about Tekin over Castle is their Dual Drive. Its sooooo much smoother than Castle sensorless systems however with dual drive once you get it going it switches over to sensorless so you get the full power out of the motor. the other thing I like is that their RX8s have a higher continuous Amp rating than the MMM.

I actually won a Castle contest the other day for a free ESC/Motor Combo So I'm getting an extra MMM and 2200kv soon and the first thing I want to do with it is put it in my LST2-E and do some side by side 6S comparisons because this type of question is a rather common one especially for anyone doing an LST2 electric upgrade. I'll end up doing running and comparison videos for each along with a review of both setups once I've had time to do it all. Probably not until next Spring since I dont really do much running in the winter here in Ohio. I dont like the cold lol.

Last edited:
I do like to show it off and he gave me the perfect excuse! The video was so he could see what to expect from the Tekin 1550KV set up on 6S though so it was for a good cause! :)

Dont get me wrong I wasn't trying to hate on Castle I have Castle systems too and there 2200kv is a beast. What i really like about Tekin over Castle is their Dual Drive. Its sooooo much smoother than Castle sensorless systems however with dual drive once you get it going it switches over to sensorless so you get the full power out of the motor. the other thing I like is that their RX8s have a higher continuous Amp rating than the MMM.

I actually won a Castle contest the other day for a free ESC/Motor Combo So I'm getting an extra MMM and 2200kv soon and the first thing I want to do with it is put it in my LST2-E and do some side by side 6S comparisons because this type of question is a rather common one especially for anyone doing an LST2 electric upgrade. I'll end up doing running and comparison videos for each along with a review of both setups once I've had time to do it all. Probably not until next Spring since I dont really do much running in the winter here in Ohio. I dont like the cold lol.

LOL I am in the next state over in PA 57 miles North from philidelphia "& no I hate the Eagles LOL " but anyway I am going to be putting my Nitro Rig's up for the winter time in my basement buy month's end.. I will still run my 2 electric rigs probley up to around Thanksgiving Than that's pretty much it for R/C running until spring time for me;)

@Greywolf I read up on the dual drive feature, and the timing and gearing setups with the RX8, and looked into the setup of the RX8 vs the Castle. I like the config of the Tekin, and since I'm not too concerned with top speed, I think I'll got with the tekin setup.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if you go with the 1550kv on 6S get a 34T pinion and run the single speed conversion with the 63T Spur. It will have a lot of torque and have plenty of top speed for a MT IMO. :)

I dont know if this helps but I run a 1515 series 2200kv CASTLE MONSTER setup and one of the few complaints is the configuration of the fan being built into the esc case makes it a pain when very small debris such as small pine needle, blade of grass etc. gets in the fan its sort of irritating due to having to remove the esc off chassis to blow it out. Compared to Tekin the Tekin appears a litle smootheras far as throttle response and acceleration throughout and appears to run a little cooler but I've had zero overheating problems with castle. It appears that the Castle just has more raw power and the Tekin is more precise.

Back