Taking the E-LST2 to the track build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i use 30 front and 35 rear. a bit soft but it sticks to the ground better at speed runs on the straight. i use stiff sway bars - both front and rear as I do hard/sharp and throttle turn most of the time..this setup seems to have very little body roll and forces my LST2 to slide in the corners, depending on the surface of that corner. if it is over the limit, sometimes one side of the truck gets lifted (stiff sway bars effect) gets lifted while taking the corner(dethrottle it to put it back on all 4 tires)

this set up suits my driving style and track/surface condition plus firm inserts on 420 bowtie tires.

just to share.

I would try that with the sway bars, have you tried loosening the brakes up so it doesn't lock up the tires? Maybe go to a 30/40 oil setup and try that with the new bars.

the brakes are no where near locking anything up they are already at 65%, but I will try dropping another 10%. Thanks aqeel, I am patiently trying to grab a used tire lot from ebay, for practice. Plus I am trying to sell some nitro gear from my XL so I can convert it to brushless also. Probably going to go with a hobbywing xerun setup for the esc, and a used t8 or some other truggy/mt motor.

if you are getting the XERUN, i suggest go for the 150A ESC. I would go for that.

BTW, I use 2XSavox HV1268SG to steer my 420 low profile tires - running at 7.4V lipo..so i can really do a hard sharp turn.

I would'nt recommend any other tires except low profile tires for track use..other tires are either heavy and or the its side wall flexs too much making the steering spongy and less responsive. in my opinion, tires like the superking pin are heavy and to high. stock XXL/LST2 tires have seller grip on the straight on my track surface. crmefighter or bowtie type is best suited at most normal surfaced track. Truggy tires is also a good option..lighter giving more responsiveness.

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

the brakes are no where near locking anything up they are already at 65%, but I will try dropping another 10%. Thanks aqeel, I am patiently trying to grab a used tire lot from ebay, for practice. Plus I am trying to sell some nitro gear from my XL so I can convert it to brushless also. Probably going to go with a hobbywing xerun setup for the esc, and a used t8 or some other truggy/mt motor.

the XL - either you change the shock using an XXL/LST2 ones or you limit the shock travel so that it is not bouncy..guys at my track using savages have serious jump problem as they nose dive more easily compared to LST2/XXL. when they limit the shock travel with fuel line tubing, only they they can do nice well balanced jumps with lesser control. Unlike LST2/XXL - practically no control - it can jump like a truggy/buggy with easy... Then again, CG for savage is higher compared to LST2/XXL due to its chassis design.

just sharing.

if you are getting the XERUN, i suggest go for the 150A ESC. I would go for that.

BTW, I use 2XSavox HV1268SG to steer my 420 low profile tires - running at 7.4V lipo..so i can really do a hard sharp turn.

I would'nt recommend any other tires except low profile tires for track use..other tires are either heavy and or the its side wall flexs too much making the steering spongy and less responsive. in my opinion, tires like the superking pin are heavy and to high. stock XXL/LST2 tires have seller grip on the straight on my track surface. crmefighter or bowtie type is best suited at most normal surfaced track. Truggy tires is also a good option..lighter giving more responsiveness.

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 PM ----------

the XL - either you change the shock using an XXL/LST2 ones or you limit the shock travel so that it is not bouncy..guys at my track using savages have serious jump problem as they nose dive more easily compared to LST2/XXL. when they limit the shock travel with fuel line tubing, only they they can do nice well balanced jumps with lesser control. Unlike LST2/XXL - practically no control - it can jump like a truggy/buggy with easy... Then again, CG for savage is higher compared to LST2/XXL due to its chassis design.

just sharing.

On the LST comments, I just purchased a used lot of truggy tires from ebay. the all have 17mm, and I have the adapters.

about the XL. I was hoping they have a v3 of the 150a out, but they dont. the one thing I am trying to make up my mind about is whether I still want to go with a tekin truggy motor, or a different one. the 1550kv is an amazing motor. One thing I do know is if I go tekin it will be a used one i get cheap. I dont plan on putting my savage on the track at all. I already have the lst2 shock bodies, and shafts for my XL, and I still have another LST2 I am going to muggify.

All in all once I get the sway bars for the e-lst2, and throw on some truggy tires.. maybe lighten the shock weight, I should be ready to hit up a track. And if it performs well, I will rebuild it using the hard anno main and upper plates I got.

and btw thanks for all the tips everyone. I've bashed for many years, but never ran at a real track.. all advice is appreciated

Last edited:
@greywolf74 I did some reading on the TENSHOCK X802 motors... what do you think of the leaopard motors? do you think i can get away with running the 2100 on 6s like u can do with the castle? The more I think about what I want to do with my savage the more I am leaning towards speed runs. After bashing for so many years, doing huge jumps really doesn't't appeal to me like it used to.. too many things broken, and unless its a 12Ft+ jump its just not worthit to me.

Its time for me to upgrade my skillset to racing. so I know modding a savvy for speed runs teaches you alot about handling and etc. plus with my e-lst2 on the track I will be learning alot there. I don't want to race in real races vs others yet.. I just need to hone my skills. not to mention I'm pretty antisocial IRL.

Last edited by a moderator:
same here bro. been bashing and been braking too many things. ever since our club have been given a BMX track, we convert it to an RC track, best suited for MT and all other off-roads.

Agree with you, only now I know my skill level in handling and controlling. also it teaches me to be more detail in my setup and learning new things about my LST2 from a 'track angle'. i believe its another form of the hobby. I just race for fun which our MT club organize every other month. fun with friends, fun racing regardless of brand and category and everything else that comes with it - a healthy fun factor.

just sharing

I'm not really sure if the X802 V1 2100kv's can handle 6S or not. I can't seem to find any specs on them and the one on ebay has been sold. the newer version 2 is capable of 25V which would suggest that you could run 6S on them although since 25V is kinda borderline Id think it might run hot, IDK for sure though. The newer V2s look much nicer though cuz now they come with wire posts you can solder and unsolder your wires to it and they come in a range of KV ratings now. They run about 100 bucks. They also have a sensored version called an X812 if you were racing you may want to look into that one but its about $150 bucks.

changed the hexes to 17mm, and put some phaltlines on her. I am taking her to the hobby shop, they asked me to bring her by when I got most of my mods done. Just waiting on some wheels, and to order the sway bars.

IMG_0200.jpg

IMG_0198.jpg

IMG_0191.jpg

sorry bottom pic is a little tilted

How do you have those shocks mounted. Id like to see detailed pics of that :)

Unfortunately I will be unable to post pics of the front end I hit a curb at about 40mph. I damaged 1 battery my tdr motor mount (pissed about that) broke a shock shaft ruined front bulk head bent a bottom plate, and that's just what I noticed while still at the rc store. I'm sure when I go to rebuild her ill find more wrong.

On a good note my lhs offered me a mamba monster nib for 100$ for my savage project. Only if I buy it by tomorrow. I told them I needed a day to think on it. Think I should go for it? I'll post pics when I get home in about 2-3 hours

Last edited:
Thats a good price for a MMM if its NIB. Castle gives a good 1 year warranty so even if its old as crap and it stops working you can get a brand new replacement for it. I'm all to familiar with high speed wrecks and the damage that they do. Especially hitting curbs and parked cars o_O lol

@greywolf74 Ok to get the shocks to lay like that you need:

***note you have to flip the rear end around and put the shocks on the outside for the muggy shocks to work on the lst/2/xxl platform. ***

Losi Parts-

1x LOSB2003 Muggy lower shock mounts
2x LOSB2152 Muggy shock towers
4x LOSB2842 Muggy shock shafts
2x LOSB2821 Muggy shock bodies

THen you install them on the LST/2/xxl and it lays them down like this

IMG_0205.jpg

heres more closeups of the shock setup

IMG_0206.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

anyways heres pics of the damage to the front end.. I forgot to take a pic of the dudes motor mount, but ill explain the damage to that. Where the screw tightens the mount, the aluminum actually tore. I will post more pics in a few days when I get to pulling it all apart and rebuilding it.

IMG_0202.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Bummer..well, things happen. and when the stock LST2/muggy shock shaft snaps, it always snaps at that same spot..both tini and stock.

given the opportunity, I would change the shock shaft to the Integy tini one. it is shorter than the LST2 and might be almost the same length as the muggy shaft. i can come up with a short tutorial video.

i can give you an exact measurement of the integy one but you have to measure your muggy shock shaft. once you can use it on the muggy shocks, then i will make that short video...I need to service my shocks in a short while.

BTW - the new production for the MSR6 shaft is now tini coated steel. before it was chrome steel. both are equally strong and defiintely much stronger than stock LST and tini LST shocks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Integy-T733...Radio_Control_Toys&hash=item5ae93ab053&_uhb=1

The integy shafts are too long for the muggy setup... It's ok I bought 8 shafts yesterday. I will keep looking for substitutions though.

too long ya?..well, best to know now than later.

Ok, I see the difference in the muggy shock towers, and the lower shock mounts but the shocks themselves look the same? at least in the picture. Just wondering exactly how they are different.

the shafts and the shock body are shorter... i could measure it but basically to make muggy shocks out of LST2 aluminum shocks, you grind em down to right after the seal if I'm not mistaken... when I get my backup muggy shock bodies Ill post comparative pics.. it should all be in by next wed.

That would be cool. Its very good info for anyone who wants to tune their LST2/XXL for better handling. At least it looks good in theory anyway. I'm also interested to get your 1st hand feedback on how much difference that application makes in comparison to the normal shock set up.