Starter on road car?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raspberrypi33

RC Newbie
Reaction score
This is my first post, so please be patient with me! I am thinking of getting an on road electric 1/10 scale car as a starter. I have narrowed it down to two models: Tamiya TT02 kit or the Redcat Racing Lighting EPX drift. Could I eventually convert the Tamiya to drift? Which one would be best suited for a first timer to on road? Also, if I get the Tamiya or the lightning epx, would this battery fit in either one?
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-flightmax-5000mah-2s1p-20c.html
Thanks!

Between the 2 I would go with the Tamiya. When I used to race on road at the LHS, the Redcats were plagued with issues and needed modifications in order to even finish a race.

Have you taken a look at the Associated rigs? If you can find a TC4 which is shaft driven, it can easily be converted to a drift rig. You can also do it with their belt driven rigs which would be a TC5 or newer, but shaft drive is easier to maintain since you don’t have to deal with belts breaking. TC4 rollers can be found on eBay for decent prices.

Thanks! How would I go about converting it to a drift car? Would I just need to add in drift tires?

Why lock the differential? What does that do and how would it benefit drifting? Sorry, I'm very new to this kind of rc. Thanks for your patience!

Locking the rear diff makes both tires spin at the same time instead of sending power to the wheel that isn't spinning.

OK Thanks! I found another drifter, the Hobbyking Mission-D. What do you guys think about this car?

OK Thanks! I found another drifter, the Hobbyking Mission-D. What do you guys think about this car?

Are you talking about something like this?...:cool:

1541611569188.png

1541611718007.png

Yeah. How durable is it? Its a lot cheaper than the tt02 and I'm on a tight budget.

Yeah. How durable is it? Its a lot cheaper than the tt02 and I'm on a tight budget.

Like full blast into a curb durable?....I don't think nothing is!....:hehe:

Usually ,people like brands were they can easily get parts or even hop-up parts or
performance parts ,do some research on that ,but for the price ,you can't go wrong!

If I'm not mistaken, the Hobbyking mission-d is a Yokomo DRB clone, so would those part and hop ups be compatible?

If I'm not mistaken, the Hobbyking mission-d is a Yokomo DRB clone, so would those part and hop ups be compatible?

Maybe ,but you would only have to worry about the running gear parts ,like drive belts ,pully's .
gears ,a-arms & drive axles ,an maybe steering knuckles!

Servo's & electronics are versatile!

Yokomo was a bad boy in its time!...:thumbs-up:

I have the K.M. 1/5 baja ,its a clone Hpi baja ,the parts enter change ,but ,
really never had issues with it an it still runs good after 5 yrs!...:cool:

Between the 2 I would go with the Tamiya. When I used to race on road at the LHS, the Redcats were plagued with issues and needed modifications in order to even finish a race.

Have you taken a look at the Associated rigs? If you can find a TC4 which is shaft driven, it can easily be converted to a drift rig. You can also do it with their belt driven rigs which would be a TC5 or newer, but shaft drive is easier to maintain since you don’t have to deal with belts breaking. TC4 rollers can be found on eBay for decent prices.
What types of issues did people have with the epx?

Back