Starter Boxes - whats the difference?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_jones

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi,

Anyone know what the difference between and on-road and an off-road starter box is?

I ask as I need to buy one - I've found a "H.A.R.D H3 Starter Box On-Road" [HR-H6510N] but they also do an offf road version [HR-H6510F] - I need to use mine to start my M1B - 1/8 scale - off road....

Well, the starter box I have says that mine is for 1/8 on-road and 1/10 off-road, but I'm using it to start my 1/10 on-road, and it works fine. As long as the starter wheel lines up with your flywheel and it turns it, you'll be fine.

It could be that the off-road box is lifted off the ground more so that the wheels don't hit the floor while you try to start it. IMO I would go to your LHS first to see if they have starter boxes before you go on and order online. It's always good to try before you buy.

Onroads are typically set up with the wheel parallel to the chassis (as a 1/10th stadium truck is). Offroad buggies typically have their engine setup parallel with the chassis, requiring the wheel to be set side-to-side.

There are also universal boxes that have a T shaped slot cut in them, so you can convert it from onroad to offroad. The chrome-top blue Ofna starterbox is a great example of this.