Stampede gearing questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Current XL-5 and VXL use the same 272 Magnum transmission. There is a second version of the VXL that comes with the 272R Magnum transmission though.
I didnt realize this. Whats the difference between the 272 and the 272R?

GW, yeah made me curious too. Below is the TRX blurb on it. Wondering how it stacks up against the Pro-Line 32P? 'AC'

Magnum 272R
Wow the 272R has a metal motor plate, an all new diff design and a cool access panel underneath to remove the diff without having to take apart the tranny. I love it. I need to replace my Rusty Tranny with a 272R :)

Hey, GreyWolf. Yeah, lots of neat stuff in the 272R. It does appear, however, to feature 48P gearing. At least in its presentation photos.

Curious too, as primarily a drag racing-oriented tranny conversion, a locked diff option is not offered. Perhaps it's there, or the preference is to run XX-heavy diff fluid to essentially "lock" the diff? Or maybe a locked diff is not so necessary in no-prep?

Perhaps conversion to 32P is an easy do? I'm pretty much a 32P guy anymore. That would be a prime driver for me in selecting an alternate transmission over the RPM-cased, TRX metal-geared and RRP 32P the R1E is running now.

Anyway, good having option tyranny's available over a pick-and-choose selection to try to get the performance and durability desired. Regarding the OP, the 272R may be an upgrade consideration for his application. Cheers. 'AC'

Curious too, as primarily a drag racing-oriented tranny conversion, a locked diff option is not offered. Perhaps it's there, or the preference is to run XX-heavy diff fluid to essentially "lock" the diff? Or maybe a locked diff is not so necessary in no-prep?
TRX has put the 272R on like 12 of their kits now from what I was reading so I dont think its necessarily a drag race tranny. I would run a locked diff in no prep and yeah if I couldnt get an actual diff locker then Id put the heaviest fluid I could find in it.

Perhaps conversion to 32P is an easy do? I'm pretty much a 32P guy anymore. That would be a prime driver for me in selecting an alternate transmission over the RPM-cased, TRX metal-geared and RRP 32P the R1E is running now.
Just curious as to why 32P over 48P? To me as long as I can achieve the gear ratio that I want it doesn't matter to me. You can run Mod1 gears on those 2WD TRX kits if you want to.

I think I would just opt for the Hot Racing aluminum housing with a 32p gearset. But Grey and I were wondering if the 272 and 272R diffs were interchangeable in the housings. Anyone know for sure?

As for a spool or locker diff in drag cars, it definitely helps, at least in 1:1 drag racing. With a locked diff, it comes down to shock tuning to plant the power to both tires equally.

The diff in our drag Slash build, I considered a spool, but I just put 1M weight fluid in it because we have a pretty tight turn radius at the end of our parking lot, and I didn't want a spool causing problems turning the car around.

Last edited:
TRX has put the 272R on like 12 of their kits now from what I was reading so I dont think its necessarily a drag race tranny. I would run a locked diff in no prep and yeah if I couldnt get an actual diff locker then Id put the heaviest fluid I could find in it.

Just curious as to why 32P over 48P? To me as long as I can achieve the gear ratio that I want it doesn't matter to me. You can run Mod1 gears on those 2WD TRX kits if you want to.
Hey, GreyWolf, in answer to your question. Dunno. Like the sound a 32P makes, I guess. That and when a pinion change is made, can generally tell right away if its right or wrong. 48P, being finer, not so much so. I go for coarse changes.

[Edit: Left over from my days of running Electric Top Fuel in full-prep RC drag racing. Got tired of stripping 48P spur gears and made the change to 32P. Didn't always get the gearing I needed but stopped stripping spurs.]

'AC'

Last edited:
I think I would just opt for the Hot Racing aluminum housing with a 32p gearset. But Grey and I were wondering if the 272 and 272R diffs were interchangeable in the housings. Anyone know for sure?

As for a spool or locker diff in drag cars, it definitely helps, at least in 1:1 drag racing. With a locked diff, it comes down to shock tuning to plant the power to both tires equally.

The diff in our drag Slash build, I considered a spool, but I just put 1M weight fluid in it because we have a pretty tight turn radius at the end of our parking lot, and I didn't want a spool causing problems turning the car around.

Just looking at them I'm going to say no but I can tear them both down and find out.
I didnt realize this. Whats the difference between the 272 and the 272R?
Near as I can tell they are getting rid of the normal VXL so it will just be the XL-5 and the new VXL with the 272R trans.

Just looking at them I'm going to say no but I can tear them both down and find out.

Near as I can tell they are getting rid of the normal VXL so it will just be the XL-5 and the new VXL with the 272R trans.
That would be awesome if you can find out, but I ain't asking nobody to tear their cars apart 😜 but if you do, some comparison pics of the diffs would be useful 😉

Back