Stampede gearing questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenBossio

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm currently running a Traxxas stampede. It's a vintage one with no slipper clutch. It came with a 18tooth 48p pinion. I had been running a Tamiya TZ motor and 1060 esc on NIMH. I fried the 1st set of gears in it . I rebuilt with a 26tooth pinion and stock replacement spur gear thinking it would be an animal. Well it was slow off the line and I only drive wide open and the TZ started smoking and locked up solid . I have a couple of other pinions on the way. What should I be looking for numerically for a gear ratio that will be fast off the line and have a decent top speed. Also I am building a custom 9 cell NIMH so I will be running that. I was only using a 6 cell when the TZ fried. Lol. Thanks for any help

id try a 20 t pinion with that 20 t motor. but you fried it so go with a stock 12t titan with a 19t pinion..it will never be a speed demon wit those type of brushed motors and nimh batteries,

I have been considering going to brushless with a lipo. guess now's the time . Also I'm thinking switching tires to something more along a rustler size than the stampedes monster truck size

I run both the Stampede 4x4 and 2wd with both using brushless system and 2s Lipo.
I can use 3s in the 4x4 but honestly it doesn't need it. It's plenty fast running 2s.
Off the top of my head, I don't remember what the gearing is.
If you stay with a brushed motor, expect to burn them out. Unfortunately the brushed motors just don't last.
You can also truggify your Stampede and there is several videos out there with the parts needed to convert it.
I run HW brushless system and Duratrax Six Pack Mt tires.
She wheelies like a mofo...:D

IMG_0104.JPG

I like yours that's nice. Especially the tires

I like yours that's nice. Especially the tires
Duratrax makes some of the best tires out there. Besides Pro line..
You should definitely think of going brushless. Would get much better run times. And much more power. With the brushed motor. You can only get so much out of it. And it won't be much power.
I got those six pack on my both my 1/5 scales. Amd my merv they have some serious grip to them. On road as well. But off road God dam they throw some dirt. Hahaha
Welcome to RCT by the way bud. Got any questions please ask away. We will help in any way that we all cam. That's why we are all here to learn and help one another

Hey guys. I'm currently running a Traxxas stampede. It's a vintage one with no slipper clutch. It came with a 18tooth 48p pinion. I had been running a Tamiya TZ motor and 1060 esc on NIMH. I fried the 1st set of gears in it . I rebuilt with a 26tooth pinion and stock replacement spur gear thinking it would be an animal. Well it was slow off the line and I only drive wide open and the TZ started smoking and locked up solid . I have a couple of other pinions on the way. What should I be looking for numerically for a gear ratio that will be fast off the line and have a decent top speed. Also I am building a custom 9 cell NIMH so I will be running that. I was only using a 6 cell when the TZ fried. Lol. Thanks for any help
For brushed motors, it would be the best to get stock Traxxas 12t motor, they are one of the fastest brushed motors. And I would keep stock 18t pinion. I would stay away from nimh batteries because they are too heavy. Get some cheap 2s lipos. I would suggest not to overpower that old rc, because they are not designed for modern brushless power. Modern Traxxas lineup has much stronger drivetrain and plastics are less old and less brittle

There are many people on here who run brushless systems in stampedes

There are many people on here who run brushless systems in stampedes
Yes, but not in a vintage stampede with black plastic. There is couple issues, when vintage stampede was made, it was not designed to handle brushless power. Newer stampedes have upgraded gears, for example, differential gears are metal, slipper clutch is upgraded, brushless version has heavy duty drive shafts. Second issue is that plastic is probably way more brittle because of the age.

If you go brushless you're going to want to upgrade your transmission gears to the new metal type out of a VXL.

I have bought new transmission case . Differential with locker idler gear everything will be new on this thing.

I have bought new transmission case . Differential with locker idler gear everything will be new on this thing.
I would strongly suggest not to run locked diff. Diff exist for a reason. I have a bunch of Rcs and stampede has the worst under steer issue out of all, with locked diff it will make that issue even worst, you will not be able to turn, and it will flip over even easier. Traxxas UDR has locked rear diff and I hate it, but don't really feeling like spending 50$ for open diff

I would strongly suggest not to run locked diff. Diff exist for a reason. I have a bunch of Rcs and stampede has the worst under steer issue out of all, with locked diff it will make that issue even worst, you will not be able to turn, and it will flip over even easier. Traxxas UDR has locked rear diff and I hate it, but don't really feeling like spending 50$ for open diff
agreed

Agreed as well.

@KenBossio
I have to say, and sorry for being blunt, everything you are considering doing to this Stampede is going to make it a terrible RC. Locked rear diffs are for straight line running and rock crawling. Not for bashing around.

Didn't really think about that . Just figured it would go better with a locker. So I'll put a diff in there and only run on 3s with a 3000 ish Kv motor.

I recently took my old (12 years) 2wd Stampede down off the shelf and converted it to a brushless setup with a 3000 Kv motor. I did replace the transmission with the 272 Magnum version and the old fiction pin slipper was replaced with the later "Torque-Control" slipper which uses pads that are separate from the spur gear. I run a 19T pinion and 86T spur and even with 2S it will wheelie on high traction surfaces.

oNMoi05.jpg

I recently took my old (12 years) 2wd Stampede down off the shelf and converted it to a brushless setup with a 3000 Kv motor. I did replace the transmission with the 272 Magnum version and the old fiction pin slipper was replaced with the later "Torque-Control" slipper which uses pads that are separate from the spur gear. I run a 19T pinion and 86T spur and even with 2S it will wheelie on high traction surfaces.

oNMoi05.jpg
Sickening stampede. I have one vintage but not original body.

I haven't taken apart new magnum transmission to see what is deferent than the old one. The old transmission if it's a new model with all metal gears can take a lot of power. I have magnum transmission in my drag slash and beside sealed diff, it is super quiet, actually it's the most quiet rc I have

Back