Stampede 4x4 VXL

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slick2500

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
This popped up on one of the local Facebook groups for $115, description said barely used(was more like barely maintained). But for $115 it was too good of a deal to pass up. Plus everyone needs a 4x4 MT so I picked it up Friday after work.

MXXihgq.jpg
1dvOtwF.jpg

It needs bearings, one was even missing, a few bent/missing screws, no battery strap, esc mounted backwards, one of the rear stub axles is from a 2wd Stampede and the receiver box needs a new lid.

The only upgrade parts I see are the clear gear cover, the aluminum bearing adapter for the spur and the Traxxas aluminum rear axle carriers.

Got it cleaned up and removed all the orange duct tape.

42843707_2238449476182630_3075315992616763392_n.jpg

Already have Jim's bearings, some Duratrax Lockups, aluminum big bore shocks and steel axles on the way. When I tear it down to replace the bearings I think I am going to dye the chassis black. Still trying to decide on a body.

Last edited:
Popped my rc cherry with this rig! Upgraded the heck out of it, then outgrew it. Fun to bash. You got a good deal!

Looks like a fun project!

Fun little truck, but the sliders don't last long even on 2S and the steering slop is crazy bad.

I got mine used as well. It was miserably maintained. By the time I replaced everything that was busted or worn out, I could have bought a new one. Oh well... still one of my go to trucks when I go run.

Fun little truck, but the sliders don't last long even on 2S and the steering slop is crazy bad.

I got mine used as well. It was miserably maintained. By the time I replaced everything that was busted or worn out, I could have bought a new one. Oh well... still one of my go to trucks when I go run.
Took it out for a test run today and broke one of the rear driveshafts. In it's defense it was wore out really bad.

They don't last very long on 2S. I went through a few in a couple weeks of running and ended up going with MIP X-Duty sliders. That was 18 months ago, so far I have only lost a couple grub screws or HPI pins holding them onto the diff outdrives. I just make sure to tighten them before every bash.

They don't last very long on 2S. I went through a few in a couple weeks of running and ended up going with MIP X-Duty sliders. That was 18 months ago, so far I have only lost a couple grub screws or HPI pins holding them onto the diff outdrives. I just make sure to tighten them before every bash.
Yeah I'm dumping the plastic axles and the plastic shocks.

Yeah I'm dumping the plastic axles and the plastic shocks.
I have the upgraded Traxxas ones on the rear and mip in the front and I must say the Traxxas ones are holding up better than the mip. I’ve had to rebuild the mip 2 times already the first time they broke I lost half the shaft so I had to buy a new set.

I have the upgraded Traxxas ones on the rear and mip in the front and I must say the Traxxas ones are holding up better than the mip. I’ve had to rebuild the mip 2 times already the first time they broke I lost half the shaft so I had to buy a new set.
"upgraded traxxas ones", got a link?

Attachments

• F9300AB0-2AF0-42C4-AD1F-6834E7211B18.png
    F9300AB0-2AF0-42C4-AD1F-6834E7211B18.png
    616.5 KB · Views: 195
Geez! $220 for a set of cvd's?!?!

I'll stick with my MIP's.

Aren't those what the XO1 uses? I think they require different axle carriers and bearings as well. Or are those purpose built for the stampede/slash?

Aren't those what the XO1 uses? I think they require different axle carriers and bearings as well. Or are those purpose built for the stampede/slash?
Those are built for slash/ stampede. When I bought it it was cheaper than the mip

Also keep in mind that’s canadian currency

Ah, ok. Still, $80 USD a pair. Almost double what I paid for MIP. I paid $91.69USD shipped for all 4 of mine.
In the little bit of research I have been done so far about the Stampede 4x4, I've come across a few discussions about the Traxxas ones and everyone has said that they are better than the MIPs.

Back