Stampede 2wd new wheels

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are talking about how we discharge our lipos down to 0V to make them safe for disposal.

You gonna catch the trash truck (or something) on fire doin' that :thumbs-down:
I’m sorry I misunderstood your original thread. Stupid me didn’t realise you were talking about discharging to zero. That was an unfunny joke about throwing in the trash. I know it would be dangerous.

I’m sorry I misunderstood your original thread. Stupid me didn’t realise you were talking about discharging to zero. That was an unfunny joke about throwing in the trash. I know it would be dangerous.
lol, ok. I was like "This guy can't be serious..."

Last edited:
Thanks guys .. you have given me some things to try with my 6 very puffy and split hard case lipos . So i'll fully admit I didnt look after them as good as I should have .

Saying farewell to a puffed Zippy.

Attachments

• A6B0EA2D-0FD5-40F8-8B0B-2F7C33D7FBB1.jpeg
    A6B0EA2D-0FD5-40F8-8B0B-2F7C33D7FBB1.jpeg
    632.9 KB · Views: 60
  • FBE329D7-F34A-4F0E-B8C5-9851138237DB.jpeg
    FBE329D7-F34A-4F0E-B8C5-9851138237DB.jpeg
    706.5 KB · Views: 59
Good bye Mr Zippy! You will be missed! 😭

Just out of curiosity, what is the black box for that the bulb and the lipo is connected to?

Good bye Mr Zippy! You will be missed! 😭

Just out of curiosity, what is the black box for that the bulb and the lipo is connected to?

It’s just an old receiver box, I drilled a couple of holes in it for the terminals. These terminals are great because they also have 4mm bullet connectors. This way I can use any of my charge leads to do the battery discharging as well.

I don't, I charge them one last time if they charge and then use them for target practice.
If I had the room I would. I do shoot legos with my .177 hollow point as they are not a fire risk.

Check this out... So As mentioned earlier in this thread I use my little fan/5mm LED combo to discharge lipos down to about 1.9V which is safe enough to dispose of already but I thought Id see if I could discharge one completely down to zero or at least see how close I could get. About 3 weeks ago I had discharged that old, used, and puffed 8000mAh Pro-Match Racing 2S lipo down to my usual 1.9V. Then I soldered a 3mm red LED to a deans connector and plugged it in to discharge the battery the rest of the way. BTW, I used red because red requires the least amount of voltage to run except maybe for IR but I wouldnt be able to tell if an IR LED was lit without looking through my phones camera. Well it will be 3 weeks tomorrow and that sucker is still glowing! lol Just thought Id share cuz I never expected this thing to keep burning this long 🤣

20211026_142544.jpg

Tomorrow will be 4 weeks that this LED has been burning off of 1.9V. Its getting faint but its definitely still lit lol
20211109_052235.jpg

I wouldn't use a charger, I'd prefer to risk my $2 lightbulb setup. Plus I set the batteries outdoors when discharging them fully, not going to leave them on the charger overnight outside. Easier to use some resistors or a lightbulb, cheap and effective.
Amen, brother. I don't use a charger's discharging feature for any great length time, because it puts a lot of stress (heat) on the internals, and just 'cause it takes forever. Chargers that we use are not really designed for discharging with great power. If they were, they'd be huge, because of all the heatsinks and fans needed to dissipate heat.

Good old 20 amp bulb discharger from the 90's... and a few minutes will take care of things. If, and when I don't use a pack that has been charged, I'll use a LiPo alarm and the bulb discharger to quickly bring down the voltage close to storage voltage (approx. 3.75v/cell) and let a charger balance the cells to 3.8v. When it's time to get rid of a failing/unhealthy pack, I'll just let the bulbs drain the pack... outside, and on a hard surface of course.
1637373596902.jpeg

1637373646976.jpeg
1637373691526.jpeg

Good old 20 amp bulb discharger from the 90's... and a few minutes will take care of things. If, and when I don't use a pack that has been charged, I'll use a LiPo alarm and the bulb discharger to quickly bring down the voltage close to storage voltage (approx. 3.75v/cell) and let a charger balance the cells to 3.8v. When it's time to get rid of a failing/unhealthy pack, I'll just let the bulbs drain the pack... outside, and on a hard surface of course.
View attachment 136861
View attachment 136862View attachment 136863
That burnt LiPo looks like a perfectly roasted marshmallow!

Same principle as bulbs, building a discharger out of resistors is another way to get things done. I built this one to use with my chargers that have external discharge discharge function.
1637377158415.jpeg

1637377220465.png

Back