spur gear

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage 4.6 X

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
hey guys i have a question reguarding my spur gear,now i bought my savage x 4.6 for 300,it was halfway thru break in when i got it,a few months after i had it,the spur gear (47t) had worn down,i took it somewhere and got it replaced but they put a 52t on it,and since then it takes longer to shift,doesn't have the balls to do the wheelies and all that it use to before the spur gear went,is it the 52t thats causing all this?i wanna order the steel 47t for it and get rid of this 52t if thats what the problem is which i believe it is,just looking to see if anyone else knows,thanks in advance guys

it depends on if they changed the clutch bell to accommodate the 52 tooth spur gear. you need to lock at the clutch bell and count the teeth or it may be stamped. Post the info

A bigger spur makes for better acceleration and less top end. Your slipper is either loose or the tune is off. Metal spurs are unneeded. Nylon holds up to extreme power when gear mesh is set correctly.

the clutch bell wasn't changed just the spur gear..its stamped on it 52t and 76942 (I'm guessin part #)

the clutch bell wasn't changed just the spur gear..its stamped on it 52t and 76942 (I'm guessin part #)

you need to find out your clutch bell size to find out the gearing.
Here's a chart
scaled.php

Last edited:
A bigger spur would make it wheelie easier if other problems are not present. Bigger spur/ smaller bell= more acceleration/ less top speed. Smaller spur/bigger bell= slower off the line/higher top speed. More power on take off= easier wheelies.

A bigger spur would make it wheelie easier if other problems are not present. Bigger spur/ smaller bell= more acceleration/ less top speed. Smaller spur/bigger bell= slower off the line/higher top speed. More power on take off= easier wheelies.

Ya i under stand what your saying. Without knowing the bell size you dont know what the ratio is. There are only 2-3 clutch bell sizes that can be used both on 52/47 without mods. I guess i could have worded it better. I realize that the bigger spur would lower the ratio.

Back