Does Traxxas always sound like it's grinding gears.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zerksies

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I'm not new to RC. I just got a truck after a decade off. I have a traxxas Rustler VXL.

I was trying out a few Traxxas trucks at the hobby shop and all of them had this grinding sound to them. I asked the guy at the shop and he said it's normal

My truck has a bad grinding sound. I checked the Spur/mesh and it's perfect. I even took out the motor and i still get a grinding sound. I lubed the diff and checked making sure nothing was locking up everything is fine their. Is this just a thing with Traxxas?

My HPI's Ofna's and Losi's never had this sound issues. I've really got this truck going hoping to break something to diagnose the sound issue. But i'm getting it 50+ and it's running good, it even rolls smoothly on the floor.

The tranny can be loud. I pack mine with grease and seems to work. The spur or pinion may be another issue. The pinion might be worn and need replaced or it might be too tight of a mesh. Since I went to 32p spur and pinion mine has quieted down alot.

Not sure about the other manufacturers but Traxxas uses I believe is a Nylon based gears that are self lubricating which doesn't require any grease. That's why there isn't grease in most of their gearboxes.
Myself, I use a small amount of white Lithium grease just because it makes me feel better. LoL

Not sure about the other manufacturers but Traxxas uses I believe is a Nylon based gears that are self lubricating which doesn't require any grease. That's why there isn't grease in most of their gearboxes.
Myself, I use a small amount of white Lithium grease just because it makes me feel better. LoL
The older xl5 and xl1 as well as the nitro yes. The vxl uses what appears to be a casted steel for the gears. Those plastic gears are indeed self lubricating. I used to use white Lithium like they say but I've noticed it dries out too fast for my liking. I now use automotive grease in a tube.

The older xl5 and xl1 as well as the nitro yes. The vxl uses what appears to be a casted steel for the gears. Those plastic gears are indeed self lubricating. I used to use white Lithium like they say but I've noticed it dries out too fast for my liking. I now use automotive grease in a tube.

The OP asked after checking out other Traxxas vehicles "if it was a Traxxas thing?"
Which is why I was only giving a generalized answer about Traxxas and not directed at a particular vehicle.

they make hop up trans for traxxas... you can use diff oil in them.I have a aluminum one

It's likely the spur gear, Traxxas spur gears are a bit cheap and you need to set the mesh by ear. Don't worry about "upgrading" to a metal spur gear, plastics fine, plastics cheap and easy to replace.

The inner transmission gears are all metal, metal gears are more robust than the old nylon ones at the cost of extra noise.

I used to grease my transmissions, but now I tend to run them dry. Grease makes them quiet, but too much will slow them down and it'll hold onto dirt if any gets inside.

I just got an Arrma Granite for my birthday and I changed the motor mount plate to a better aluminum one. It was recommended all over the place. The mesh is setup perfectly on that and I get a grinding sound out of that too. I guess I’m use to older nitro RC. I never could hear gears grinding doing a ground roll.

Back