Spare parts

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's another view of the engine. The spring apparently holds on the exhaust. (Which is currently filthy)

And I just found out my LHS is closed today. I'm telling you, someone does not want me to drive this thing. :(

2011-05-31092905.gif

So you werent able to pick up a new clutch spring? You dont have any hiding at the bottom of your parts box. With all of the parts that thing came with, you think the little things like that would be in there! Sucks that something that small could hold you back from taking the fun outside.

Yeah, that is a throttle return spring. It is a cheap fail safe, I need to put one on mine! Still havnt done that yet, and I really should.

I thought in one of those pictures of all the stuff I saw a clutch sping..

I double checked, and there are some shoes, extra bells, and some bushings, but no spring. Of course, it would be the one thing that I need the most that isn't included. Such is my life.

I've seen some "high performance" clutches, 3 shoe clutches, etc... When I head to the shop tomorrow, is there anything specific I should be looking for? I have the stock clutch now, but I wouldn't mind spending a few extra bucks to upgrade IF there is a difference. Are there any that are actually worth it, or am I better off sticking with the cheaper, stock one (that I am also assuming would be easer to install and easier/cheaper to find parts for)?

I double checked, and there are some shoes, extra bells, and some bushings, but no spring. Of course, it would be the one thing that I need the most that isn't included. Such is my life.

I've seen some "high performance" clutches, 3 shoe clutches, etc... When I head to the shop tomorrow, is there anything specific I should be looking for? I have the stock clutch now, but I wouldn't mind spending a few extra bucks to upgrade IF there is a difference. Are there any that are actually worth it, or am I better off sticking with the cheaper, stock one (that I am also assuming would be easer to install and easier/cheaper to find parts for)?

You would probably get better hook up with a metal clutch, but I'm not sure if you would notice a huge difference. I have had the same stock shoes in since I replaced them almost a year ago. You would need to get a new flywheel for the 3 shoe set up. IMO, stock shoes are just fine.

Last edited:
You would probably get better hook up with a metal clutch, but I'm not sure if you would notice a huge difference. I have had the same stock shoes in since I replaced them almost a year ago. You would need to get a new flywheel for the 3 shoe set up. IMO, stock shoes are just fine.

What I heard there was: "Stock shoes are cheaper"

Stock shoes it is!

Hobby shop should finally have the parts in today. Ordered the shoes/springs, rebuild kits for the front shocks, and I think I'll pick up some spare glow plugs while I'm there.

It's been like a week and a half. If this doesn't work by tonight, I'm officially going to go insane.

well good luck on the maxx!!! I know how you feel they get you right wound when they wont work right but in due time you wil get the patients and the knowledge to fixer with out us..

well good luck on the maxx!!! I know how you feel they get you right wound when they wont work right but in due time you wil get the patients and the knowledge to fixer with out us..

Yeah, agreed. Just hang in there and soon enough it will be problem free for a while.....not that long, but for a while.lol

Got the parts, fixed the clutch, rebuilt the shocks, and actually got it started!!

Although I did notice something wrong with the tires, which I outlined in a different thread, but I'll just have to replace them.

But it actually runs!!!!! Had a little difficulty at first. I started out just revving out to max as soon as it started up. Had to pinch the fuel line and make adjustments for a few times. Then it would idle low until it shut down. Finally, I got a steady idle, and some good amount of control over the engine. Still don't know why it was just going at first though. It got too dark to keep going, so I figured I would leave the fine tuning for tomorow afternoon.

I have to admit, out of all of this, I thought tuning would be one of the easy parts. Apparently not.

Got the parts, fixed the clutch, rebuilt the shocks, and actually got it started!!

Although I did notice something wrong with the tires, which I outlined in a different thread, but I'll just have to replace them.

But it actually runs!!!!! Had a little difficulty at first. I started out just revving out to max as soon as it started up. Had to pinch the fuel line and make adjustments for a few times. Then it would idle low until it shut down. Finally, I got a steady idle, and some good amount of control over the engine. Still don't know why it was just going at first though. It got too dark to keep going, so I figured I would leave the fine tuning for tomorow afternoon.

I have to admit, out of all of this, I thought tuning would be one of the easy parts. Apparently not.

Tuning can be a pain in the ass! If you set the carb needles back to factory, it makes it easier to adjust from a base setting.

that is definetly true!! because if you just keep messing with it where it is then you could make her worse and end up getting ready to heave it... The tuning chart in the nitro thread with the red letters.. that will help after you go to factory.. oh and make sure your trim on the controler isnt turned enough to keep it reving up on you without using the trigger... Good luck and hey atleast you know it runs now!!!

Busy day at work, so I didn't feel like doing much after I got home, but I messed around with it a little more. It's running, and I tried (fruitlessly, at first) to tune it. It got to the point where the mosquitoes were pissing me off too much, and it started to get dark, so I called it quits for the day, but I did manage to take a quick video with my phone.

Now, just because I know me, it can't be right. But I do intend on playing with it more tomorrow when I get a chance. Judging by the smoke, I would say I'm running a little rich, but I haven't seen enough of these running to be a good judge. What do you guys think?

(WARNING: REALLY LOUD)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y1JKNed7tg&fmt=22"]YouTube - T-maxx 2.5 - HIGH DEFINITION[/ame]

Also, I think I learned the importance of having some sort of cut-off switch today :D

I normaly just stick my finger over the exhaust to shut the engine down....

Yeah, I just pinch the fuel line to shut it off. Better too rich, than too lean...to prevent damage anyways.