Some parts I machined for a NASCAR drivetrain display for a tv program.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WickedFog

Starter of too many projects
Supporter
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
Man, this brings back memories. I just stumbled on this video. Forgot I even had it. This is a NASCAR tv program that we built a drivetrain display for when I worked at C&R. There are a lot of parts on this that I made. It was a fun project, and I remember how cool it was seeing it on tv.

This is the CR3 transmission. $26,000 at the time. I made the shifter handle, the brackets holding the shifter on, and the black top cover on the transmission. I also machined some of the cutaway stuff on the display.
Screenshot_20240526_210009.jpg

Screenshot_20240526_205908.jpg

Here's the video of it.

You still machining stuff

Very cool. Fun line of work. Got any pics?
I CNC'd a custom front shock tower for my V3 Kraton. 5.2mm thick 7075 T651 tooling plate. Its my own outer profile & cutout design. 4mm standoffs. I have a rear design & some more plate to make a hybrid rear tower soon.

20240303_122807.jpg

20240510_201519.jpg

20240510_191029.jpg

Very nice. Most of my personal stuff I made was 5.0 Mustang parts.

You use CAM or G&M code?
Feature Cam. I'm a manual machinist also. Lathe. Mill. Broaching-slotting. Welding. I run CNCs mostly now & do the programming.

Feature Cam. I'm a manual machinist also. Lathe. Mill. Broaching-slotting. Welding. I run CNCs mostly now & do the programming.
Cool. I loved programming. We used MasterCAM at the race shop. I also used DellCam, SolidCam and SurfCam.

This is the prototype of the top cover on that transmission above.
Untitled273_20240527131601.png

Untitled274_20240527131634.png

Those two bottom holes on the inside were a lot of fun. The cover was bolted to the fixture which was mounted to a right angle plate. You couldn't see the drill, mill, or reamer once they entered the part. The retract plane was .100" above the surface where the holes were. I used to scare the hell out of people when they watched a 12" long tool rapid down into the part 😅

Cool. I loved programming. We used MasterCAM at the race shop. I also used DellCam, SolidCam and SurfCam.

This is the prototype of the top cover on that transmission above.
View attachment 190833
View attachment 190834

Those two bottom holes on the inside were a lot of fun. The cover was bolted to the fixture which was mounted to a right angle plate. You couldn't see the drill, mill, or reamer once they entered the part. The retract plane was .100" above the surface where the holes were. I used to scare the hell out of people when they watched a 12" long tool rapid down into the part 😅
That's a beautiful part man! I know what you mean, having to 'trust' everything you've done to get to that point. Made a many similar setups. I always turn the rapid down to 25% & watch the spindle load- that's my eyes- or hold a rod to the part to 'feel any harmonics' if the tool is not happy. Nice work bro! Smooth!

That's a beautiful part man! I know what you mean, having to 'trust' everything you've done to get to that point. Made a many similar setups. I always turn the rapid down to 25% & watch the spindle load- that's my eyes- or hold a rod to the part to 'feel any harmonics' if the tool is not happy. Nice work bro! Smooth!
Thanks.

I always ran the first test of the programs at 25% as well. I take it you're running Haas CNC's? We had those and Mazak at the race shop. But at other shops, man, I've just about ran everything from 1970's CNC's running off of tape, to a Fanuc controlled gantry mill with 100' of -X- travel. Yeah... a 100' bed. I could machine a flatbed train car on that machine if I wanted to 😆

We have two Daewoo (Fanuc) VMCs, 40×20 with a 4th axis indexer & a 30×16. Three Okuma Genos M560's, one w/ a 4th. And one 43×28 Sharp VMC w/ a Fanuc control. Eight Okuma CNC slant bed lathes. Three with chucks, one small LNC8, a Cadet, long bed LB3000, & two LB3000's w/ barfeeds. And a bunch manual equipment. I'm a mill guy- but I've run Okuma lathes on occasion.

We have two Daewoo (Fanuc) VMCs, 40×20 with a 4th axis indexer & a 30×16. Three Okuma Genos M560's, one w/ a 4th. And one 43×28 Sharp VMC w/ a Fanuc control. Eight Okuma CNC slant bed lathes. Three with chucks, one small LNC8, a Cadet, long bed LB3000, & two LB3000's w/ barfeeds. And a bunch manual equipment. I'm a mill guy- but I've run Okuma lathes on occasion.
Oh nice. I was thinking the 25% rapid comment would be Haas. They were about the only machines I ran that had a 25% button on the rapids. That's a pretty heavy duty machine shop. What kinda stuff do you make? I've been in job shops that did a bit of everything, and a few aerospace shops. This was a 718 inconel part I had dropped on me when I only had 2 years experience. It was a part for GE. Tons of reverse counterbores. Tons of stupid tight tolerances. It was about 3' tall. At that shop, you stayed with the part from forging to finished part, so it's where I learned a LOT of stuff. Do or die kinda work environment. Lots of prototype work and one-off parts.
l_35a53636e365b8ee0082c6bcaa64b86e.jpg

We are a contract machine shop. Started out as a job shop. We make, what I tell folks-because of NDA- blueprint parts. Nothing as awesome as that! I wish we made like motorcycle race parts or race car suspension parts or something. Most of the stuff is for processing equipment or roller machines. Mostly SS, Cr-Mo, 1018, 1045, 1144 steels, A36 bar & burnouts, plastics, & nonferrous also.

Back