Possible (slightly) future project with Toyan engine.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnydmd

Beer drinker and hell racer
Supporter
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
This thread is just me thinking out loud and pondering. I am fairly certain I won't take this on any time soon, I have many other things to focus on, and it wouldn't be a cheap project by any means.

I'm sure most are familiar with Toyan engines by now. They started out with some single and dual cylinder 4 stroke water and air cooled engines that were pretty cool, though significantly underpowered in comparison to their two stroke brethren. They did however make gas and nitro versions, which for some might be interesting (I'd certainly prefer running on nitro/methanol).
s-l1600.jpg

Then they came out with a V4, and an inline 4 that were a bit more powerful and a bit more intriguing. Still probably no match for a good nitro 2 stroke.
s-l500.jpg

Recently they came out with a 1/10th scale V8 (though it's really more like a 1/6 or 1/7 scale). This little bugger is about the size of your fist or so, and packs a "claimed" 4.5 hp at 11k rpm with a max of 12.5k rpm. That kind of perked my ears up a little. Then they offered a roots supercharger! Ok, now they have my attention. How big is this thing really? (It's 4.7 inches long, and a little under 5lbs).
maxresdefault.jpg

toyanblower.jpg

So what would this look like sitting in a 13 inch wheelbase street eliminator car (which while called 1/10, is really 1/8)? I mocked it up for fun.
mocktoyan.jpg

Hey, that's not horrendously proportioned. Maybe a little cartoony, Rat Fink style. Would it fit in a Slash based chassis? What other parts would make this work? I started making measurements.
308280442_820236952549779_5504389135809207195_n.jpg

The first thing would be to see where the engine would sit (it would work if it were up against the front shock tower, bringing the rear of the engine to the middle of the gas tank hole. The steering block would be tight, but ok, but the servo would have to be relocated (probably flipped around and further out).

I would use a Revo 2 speed transmission, which would probably be able to be centered given that the spur is up top, and off to the side.
41Iu4feZPUL._AC_.jpg

Then I'd use a TMaxx rear diff (one piece aluminum from Fast Lane Machine or similar)
s-l1600 (1).jpg

A short (1.5-2 inch) CVD from the trans to the diff would finish that off.

Given the known fact that the peak RPM is 1/3 of a good nitro 2 stroke, it would require a very small spur, and a very large clutch bell, probably close to a 1:1 ratio. Again, these are doable items.

What's intriguing to me is that this would be really the most scale form of RC drag racing ever. I wonder, given that it's a four stroke, how much energy density could you achieve with the blower, and say nitrous oxide? The car would certainly be heavier, probably 8-9 lbs, but how much real power could be achieved? Will companies start making more radical camshafts? Will 3rd party guys with machine skills do it? (Already I've seen a guy who's made turbos, blowers, and other things for these engines). Will you be able to go full Ryan Martin and hook up a laptop to program the tunes?

Like I said, I don't think I'd take this on, but I like the idea that its possible. Obviously you'd only be able to run this in a "run what you brung" class, because damn few people are going to spend the money it would cost to build cars like this, but man if they ever get those engines down to say 400 or 500 dollars...

Should be interesting. You got me with the 8. Never knew they made it. Might use it in my raptor build. I'm waiting for engine prices to hopefully drop.

I've thought about it myself and I agree, it would be a spendy project which would drastically cut into my K8 and TRX4 plans.

You soooooooooooo need to do that!
PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE

I had their 2-cylinder on my shelf for a while, sold it to prioritize other projects. It was a gorgeous little engine.

The V8 looks and sounds awesome, but... 8 liners and pistons to replace once they wear out, if you ever drive it that much. I imagine it'd be a good shelf queen / driven rarely and for maybe 15 minutes at a time. Wouldn't be much of a basher...

There's a youtuber that makes cars around these engines, JohnnyQ90, here he is doing exactly what you describe

Yeah JohnnyQ90 is a machinist god. Yup, looks like he's already on the ball :D Man...manual 3 speed tranny and all!?! How much fun would drag racing that beast be???

The engine definitely fits more nicely in a 20 inch wheelbase car than it would a 13 inch. I know I can make it fit, but it would definitely look a little more like an Ed Roth drawing than a real car, lol.

I can imagine it could get really expensive having to rebuild these. Especially if running a supercharger and nitrous oxide. Still though...it's super intriguing to me - one day maybe.

So JohnnyQ90 is definitely pioneering the concept and being the guinea pig for the rest of the people out there who have interest (and man, I have been seeing a lot of people interested for sure!). He built what looks like a 1/6th or 1/5th scale car, so I think any thought of 1/8th scale (13 inch WB) is out the window, IMO. Simply not enough room.

toyanscale.jpg

The radiator area is massive, and his transmission/drive shaft assembly is really long in comparison to how I'd do it with the TMaxx trans and diff, but you get the picture. However, I do think 1/7th scale, say Arrma Felony sized, would be big enough. So I mocked up how it would look with that size body:

1.7scaletoyan.jpg

Hey, now that's not too bad at all! In fact it's pretty damn close to exactly the same scale my faux blower assembly is on my car:

320644368_1291969308252563_5153961352902947118_n.jpg

No question doable in 1/7th scale. So if I wanted to do an "Invader Jumbo" (since Bitty does make the 1/7th scale version of the Viper body for the Felony), it's certainly possible.

JohnnyQ90 does some very early tests on the supercharger. It seems to work, though he says it feels more sluggish, probably due to an inefficient belt design, but I wonder more if it has to do with the tune as I didn't see him mention anything about changing that. Regardless, that's a little disappointing, but theoretically it should ramp up the power if tuned and operating properly. I think he oughtta consider making a bunch of aftermarket parts like cams, turbos, and nitrous kits. He's definitely got the skills.

Man seeing those guys struggle with the engine, I felt their pain :) Good to know about the gasoline powered version (though I would surely go nitro, I really wondered how the gas version would lubricate).

Still checking JohnnyQ90's channel to see some running updates. If he can demonstrate that it's got decent power, I might eventually consider building one. There's a lot of 1/7th nitro racing in my region, and they are stupid fast. If this thing really puts out 5 hp "stock", it might be worth seeing what can be done with the supercharger and nitrous oxide. Of course I don't know about replacement parts and how available or cheap they are, because such a setup might require a lot of rebuilds.

So looks like the price has dropped quite a bit - and with a promo code you can get the entire engine, blower, radiator, starting kit for 2k with a promo code. Gonna keep my eye on it, as well as JohnnyQ90's findings. Everything else I actually already have laying around to do a complete build.

JohnnyQ90 had a new vid out about the clutch and his blower belt change. Unfortunately, he broke his blower somehow, and it's binding up. He seems to have given up on the blower too - which is a shame because it was very clear that he just needed to richen the mixture some to get it working better as it was starving for fuel when wide open.

More interesting was that he discovered that the little 1/10th scale 2 shoe clutch that Toyan supplies had no chance of holding. So he brewed up a 9 shoe clutch that worked great. I think though, at least for a 2WD drag car, a 4 shoe 1/8th scale clutch would work. Either way, that gives me at least one answer I was looking for - and that is that the torque this little V8 produces is significantly more than a 2 stroke nitro.

JohnnyQ90 had a new vid out about the clutch and his blower belt change. Unfortunately, he broke his blower somehow, and it's binding up. He seems to have given up on the blower too - which is a shame because it was very clear that he just needed to richen the mixture some to get it working better as it was starving for fuel when wide open.

More interesting was that he discovered that the little 1/10th scale 2 shoe clutch that Toyan supplies had no chance of holding. So he brewed up a 9 shoe clutch that worked great. I think though, at least for a 2WD drag car, a 4 shoe 1/8th scale clutch would work. Either way, that gives me at least one answer I was looking for - and that is that the torque this little V8 produces is significantly more than a 2 stroke nitro.
Honestly I would never build any car with those toyan engines. They are not made to propel anything. I have seen a video, I think name of the channel is two stroke stuffing or something similar. He made a motorcycle powered by 4 cilinder toyan and it could not move it at all. And he broke the crankshaft. After that he used pretty much cheapest 2 stroke nitro with same gearing and even though engine was over geared and he burned the clutch, I think he reached something like 15 miles an hour if I remember.

I would really like to see some sickening 1/8 scale custom nitro build, but I would use a regular 2 stroke like maybe SH, or lrp 32 or something else. There is a lot of nice engines for around 200$ or less that actually work.

Last edited:
JohnnyQ90 making progress, with a manual clutch.

Not sure how much traction his car has, but it seems to easily smoke the tires without much throttle.

There was a special a couple of weeks ago where I coulda gotten the engine pretty cheap, but missed it, and really too busy to bother with another project. I did see that there are replacement parts available now.

I really want to see some more video of his car before taking something like this on. I did however get a full parts list done, including wheels/tires, etc. I already have a good amount of what I need already actually.

JohnnyQ90 has been quiet. Meanwhile, another company is making a similarly sized V-8, promises to be about 1/2 the price of the Toyan, and the quality at least appears to be vastly better - https://www.enginediy.com/blogs/eng...-v8-small-block-series-engine-model-enginediy

If indeed this one is good, I might go for it. I have pretty much all the necessary parts in a bin other than the wheels/tires, which I've tracked down some suitable ones. This engine looks a bit smaller in profile, but much more displacement at 44cc vs 28cc. Some other enthusiasts and I have been discussing it, and are coming up with ideas for a 1/7th scale platform to run it in. Chassis would be custom, all CF. We've been floating ideas, and one of the guys has the ability to fab up some aluminum parts if needed.

There's also a V-12 out there that is just insane, but it's too big for sure.

Back