Some Engine advice for an older RC10 GT please. :/

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klaussprecht

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I am new to the forum, and spent some time looking around for an answer, but couldn't seem to find it.
I have an Team Associated RC10 GT from about 10 years ago. I didn't use it that much, and it ended up in a box in my garage after about a year. Cleaning the garage this week I cam across it again and started messing with it. The engine won't turn over when I pull the pull string. It is like it is seized up. I read somewhere that it could just be because it sat for a long period of time with fuel in it, and am wondering if there is a way to see if it is that or, if something bigger has happened. Or, would it just be easier to buy a new engine? It ran when I put it in the box so many years ago.
I have a nephew who is getting old enough and has showed interest in RC so I kind of want to get it back up to running condition.
Sorry if this is a long winded and confusing thread.
:D

After sitting that long, I'd take it completely apart (including the carb) and soak everything in DA, then scrub everything with a toothbrush, lube it up, seal the carb and give it a try.

Odds are, the o-rings in the carb are dry rotted and may need replaced. You can try to coax them back to life by soaking them in fuel for a day, but if they are dry, they will probably break up if you mess with them.

The OS 18 CV is a decent little engine that is very reliable if you decide to just replace it.

Thanks! I did a DA soak of everything. It turned out that the starter plate and shaft were all gummed up. after a soak they loosened right up. Put it back together and it started right up. Had a great hour of play before I had a little collision with a curb. Nothing bad but I had the nut for one of the front tires come off. I have tons of extra parts....except that one. Off to the hobby shop tomorrow. :D