Solar Panel for 12VDC Battery Charger

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahr43

Hardcore RCTalk User
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys,
What are you using for solar panel(s) to power up your charger in the field?

My charger is the ProTek Prodigy 66 6A/50W AC/DC. Looking to match it to a solar panel for 12VDC. Not sure how to match the parameters so I buy enough panel to power up the charger. Will a panel provide a reliable and steady power output? Will the panel still be small enough to be portable and easy to erect?

Open to recommendations or experience. Regards. 'AC'

ah not going to happen with panel alone gotta have a 12v battery . sun aint always bright and a cloud will decrease you output

ah not going to happen with panel alone gotta have a 12v battery . sun aint always bright and a cloud will decrease you output
Yeah, that's what I was wondering. The panels I am finding online search are all associated with [usually] a trickle charger of some sort.

Although I have found this one going through a 'controller' linking it to an inverter. So there must be a deliverable 12VDC current with enough push to power an inverter?

50W 10A 12V panel

'AC'

Last edited:
I purchased a 800 watt supposedly 13.5 volt continuous .nope It was to keep my old beats battery charged. it drained the battery to 5 volts.it said it would not discharge battery at all.I measured voltage it was 6 max it had barely 2 watts...I built my own wind turbine with a old Chrysler alternator and resistor block.2$ in used junk yard parts. truck had sat not starting for 5 months battery is at 13.7 volts

It would be easier and more reliable to just invent in more lipos to take with you. The panel youd need would be pretty good size and youd have to have a battery bank for the panel to charge and even cloud cover on a sunny day will kill the panels power output by 40-60%.