sng's scx24 comper

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowngreen

Robmob is a Californian.
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
Been away from crawlers for a long time since the comper scene pretty much died and I dont care for scalers other than building them. But since the days of dropping a couple grand into a comper are over for me I thought I'd have a go at setting up a scx24 as compish as I possibly can.

Only pic is of the stock rig.

Not set on chassis yet but likely bodiless. Anyone older members here might remember the SNG chassis I had with EEM, I still have my proto and the blueprints for all 3 versions including the bodiless but not sure if I will mess with that or just buy something thats already out. I was almost thinking we came out with a MRC version of the sng, I know it was something JoeP and I had talked about and designed but I can't find any online, if so it might be an option but not looking like it at the moment.

Wont be going brushless but will be upgrading to a better brushed and good esc. Figured I'd make my own delrin links but I dont have anything this dang small at the moment, didnt realize just how tiny it was going to be.

IMG_20220202_150509.jpg

It is a bit daunting first seeing how tiny they are isn't it!

I would love to design a cage for one to 3d print, but before I do that I am doing a 6x6. That will be challenging enough.

You might check out moforc.com. He has a pretty cool chassis for the 24's. There is another one on Shapeways if I remember right, but I don't remember the name offhand.

Very cool Lloyd, I've been thinking about picking one of these up myself. Let me know when you are selling yours lol. I still regret selling you my super cz4, I put a ton of work in that rig.

@NCNitro I think you know me too well lol.

It is a bit daunting first seeing how tiny they are isn't it!

I would love to design a cage for one to 3d print, but before I do that I am doing a 6x6. That will be challenging enough.

You might check out moforc.com. He has a pretty cool chassis for the 24's. There is another one on Shapeways if I remember right, but I don't remember the name offhand.
You mean like a 3d printed comp-style cage/"body"? That reminds me, some guys (mostly on Ebay) make these custom rock-bouncer style cages for the SCX24s, it makes them look like small versions of something like the Axial Ryft!

A 6x6 SCX24? Sounds awesome! You could somehow make a Mercedes 6x6 body and have a mini 1/24 scale TRX6! Excited to see a SCX24 6x6, would probably be very capable!

I think you should pick one up @NCNitro though. Especially if you want to go the scale route. Either build your own tuber if you are still setup for that or there are alot of aftermarket buggy style setups available as well as hardbodies for the ladder style chassis. The support for these is plentiful as far as scaler stuff goes. I might pickup another one later on to do a scaler build.

@WickedFog yeah I've been looking at some of the buggy style chassis although, to me they are still more of a scaler chassis vs a comp style setup. Furitek does have a comp style bodiless chassis available but I might try to recreate the bodiless chassis I had through east end machining for 1/10 compers. I've been looking at 3d printing but not sure I can figure out the computer design part haha.

@slowngreen - do you have any pics of the chassis you are talking about? You mentioned blueprints. Can you share them? I could do the modeling of the parts. I already have the SCX24 frame modeled up along with the crossmember.

Been away from crawlers for a long time since the comper scene pretty much died and I dont care for scalers other than building them. But since the days of dropping a couple grand into a comper are over for me I thought I'd have a go at setting up a scx24 as compish as I possibly can.

Only pic is of the stock rig.

Not set on chassis yet but likely bodiless. Anyone older members here might remember the SNG chassis I had with EEM, I still have my proto and the blueprints for all 3 versions including the bodiless but not sure if I will mess with that or just buy something thats already out. I was almost thinking we came out with a MRC version of the sng, I know it was something JoeP and I had talked about and designed but I can't find any online, if so it might be an option but not looking like it at the moment.

Wont be going brushless but will be upgrading to a better brushed and good esc. Figured I'd make my own delrin links but I dont have anything this dang small at the moment, didnt realize just how tiny it was going to be.

View attachment 141396
I'm a rookie comp crawler builder myself. Here's my first attempt, using C-10 components.
I'm very happy with it so far. Just trying to figure out which direction to go in regards to tires, and wheels.
0127222056.jpg
0127222057a.jpg

@WickedFog just realized after all this time your name is "fog", I thought it was frog haha.

Heres the bodiless chassis we had, this was for MOA setup's though so the high break over wouldn't work for a shafty but we did have a shafty version that wasn't bodiless. I might shoot you a pm.

002-184.jpg
006-96.jpg

littleguyracing.com has some portal axles coming out for the 24's if that is something that would help, along with an extended length axle (wider track, less scrub steer). I think moforc.com has some portals as well. There are a few different brands selling the comp style cages, but I haven't looked to see if they aren't all Chinese ripoffs of each other. I like the Furitek one also. I have been waiting for the Lizard Pro esc/motor combo of theirs to become available so I can upgrade our Deadbolt.

littleguyracing.com has some portal axles coming out for the 24's if that is something that would help, along with an extended length axle (wider track, less scrub steer). I think moforc.com has some portals as well. There are a few different brands selling the comp style cages, but I haven't looked to see if they aren't all Chinese ripoffs of each other. I like the Furitek one also. I have been waiting for the Lizard Pro esc/motor combo of theirs to become available so I can upgrade our Deadbolt.
*Innocent tone* If there's littleguyracing.com (for SCX24s), is there also medium and big guy-racing (for the SCX10 and SCX6, respectively)?

So instead of using wide hubs and low offset wheels, you could use wide axles with smaller hubs and lower offset wheels, so the wheels "stick out" less, and you get better, more direct, efficient steering?

*Innocent tone* If there's littleguyracing.com (for SCX24s), is there also medium and big guy-racing (for the SCX10 and SCX6, respectively)?

So instead of using wide hubs and low offset wheels, you could use wide axles with smaller hubs and lower offset wheels, so the wheels "stick out" less, and you get better, more direct, efficient steering?
Yeah. The problem with extended hubs and axles is the servo has to drag the wheels (scrub steer), instead of them just pivoting on the contact patch of the tire. Wheels like the RC4WD Wagon wheels, when the hub is flipped, create the same problem. The Super 8 axles LGR has coming out are longer to solve some of that. I wish they had a combination of the Super 8's with the portal hubs, but I think I will just go with the portals and the +5mm Treal hubs.

Yeah. The problem with extended hubs and axles is the servo has to drag the wheels (scrub steer), instead of them just pivoting on the contact patch of the tire. Wheels like the RC4WD Wagon wheels, when the hub is flipped, create the same problem. The Super 8 axles LGR has coming out are longer to solve some of that. I wish they had a combination of the Super 8's with the portal hubs, but I think I will just go with the portals and the +5mm Treal hubs.
That's what I thought! Your wheels would swing side to side more instead of more-or-less pivoting in roughly the same place. I would imagine that "scrub steer" will wear out the steering mech and servo faster? Sounds like a longer, portal axle would be ideal! If we all ask for it enough, they will make one!

Yeah, the extended hubs, axles, wheels also require you to have a bigger wheel opening.

For now I will be running a chassis from Origin, little guy tires and foams likely at least vented tires but probably vented wheels, weighted hubs which are also +5mm, 24g Treal wheels, brass knuckles and weighted diff covers. I'll move forward after I get those items and install them. I'll likely be running full droop but not sure if I'll just keep the stock shocks are upgrade to a better oil filled alum. shock. Time will tell.

Sounds like a good plan. There isn't really a good option for oil shocks for these trucks from what I have seen.

@WickedFog just realized after all this time your name is "fog", I thought it was frog haha.

Heres the bodiless chassis we had, this was for MOA setup's though so the high break over wouldn't work for a shafty but we did have a shafty version that wasn't bodiless. I might shoot you a pm.

View attachment 141411View attachment 141412
Yeah Slowgreen, for a long time I thought it was "Frog" too! I think it might have been because "Fog" is just one "R" away from "Frog", and, plus, @Tunedpipe loves his frogs (as we all know, just look at his avatar any day for proof!)! I have this somewhat bad habit, if I'm reading or something, and I read a name (whether in a book or online) that I'm not familiar with, my brain will just make up/latch onto something similar, without actually looking at the name in detail and pronouncing it!
Sounds like a good plan. There isn't really a good option for oil shocks for these trucks from what I have seen.
I've seen people mod the stock shocks, basically you take the shocks off, take off the caps like how you'd refill oil fill shocks, and just fill the little friction shock with grease, to around the brim. I've heard they are less bouncy and more realistic that way, you might want to give it a shot! It will also make the shocks a little bit smoother due to the grease. Just like shock oil, the viscosity of the grease matters, thinner grease acts like lower weight oil, and vice versa. You guys get it, after all, you already know all about shock oil weights!

I've been playing with the idea of filling the friction shocks on my 1/16 MT with grease, they are super bouncy, and buck you on every opportunity, especially jumps! You may get a little bit of grease coming out of the bottom of the shock, as it has no O-rings, but you should only get a little bit of leakage.

View attachment 141411View attachment 141412
Comp crawlers are strange, very capable beasts! I take it that there's a front, axle mounted motor too? Funny how most toy-grade "crawlers" use dual axle mounted motors and that's laughed at, hobby-grade crawlers mostly use chassis mounted motors, but comp-crawlers return to axle-mounted motors!

Last edited:
Back