Smaxxin's 1/16 Slash, the journey begins

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The stock esc (brushed) won't run on 3s, the esc won't even activate on 3s.

SNG I have had the merv before and IMO the Slash looks better but it's narrow track makes handling suick! Thats why I ordered the parts to convert to a merv!

Oh that sucks, thats exactly what I wanted to know.

I kept stripping the hexes with the Losis too, but the tires ROCK! They hook up like mad. I need to just order the alloy losi hexes so I can run them. I also think they look better, as they are slightly narrower.

Last edited:
I run the Dirt Hawg IIs on Titus beadlocks (2.2 in) on my mERV. Plenty of grip in the sand/clay around here. I also run aluminum hexes as well.

SNG I have had the merv before and IMO the Slash looks better but it's narrow track makes handling suick! Thats why I ordered the parts to convert to a merv!

For informational purposes I'm going to clarify something.

On the stock tires the mini Slash handles good and looks amazingly like the real deal as is slides through a turn just slightly lifting a front tire with the rear tires tucked deep into the fenders. The real problem is that the stock tires are too small unless your on flat smooth dirt or pavement. They are too short to run on grass or anything not smooth....My grass is cut very short and the truck still gets stuck.

When taller tires are installed the narrow track of the Slash makes it flip very easy! The good news is it will run on short grass now but I almost have to stop to turn or it will be on it's lid.

I just realised I needed to order revo half shafts to complete the merv conversion :\

I run the Dirt Hawg IIs on Titus beadlocks (2.2 in) on my mERV.

I'm thinking about running those, are you running a single steering servo? Any problems with the larger tires and wheels?

I couldn't keep steering servos in it with stock tires and wheels, went to the Hitec 5085 (I think) MG and it's been bombproof and much better hold too.

Hamz, how do the dirt hawgs do on loose dirt? I'm wanting some new shoes for the merv and I'm torn between those and the trenchers.

Get them both, one set is half the cost of getting a full set for a 1/8, or even a 1/5
I grabbed the dirt hawg 1s on desperado rims got home then seen trenchers on the hobby alley webpage...so I couldn't resist. Trenchers should be here Monday

I run them in basically short grass and some loose dirt. No problems with traction. I did have to drop a couple of teeth off of the speed pinion to help keep from thermaling. No problem running the stock single servo.

---------- Post added at 7:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:11 PM ----------

Here are some pics with the Dirt Hawgs on the mERV:

20130820_191826_zpsd30d982f.jpg

20130820_191812_zpsad759010.jpg

20130820_191715_zps50d17c78.jpg

20130820_191705_zps2748ad97.jpg

20130820_191655_zps32cadc19.jpg

Looks good!, I went black RPM....is there red half shafts?

I only know of stainless or the stock black half-shafts.

I was putting some change on the side so I could buy everything new but I stumbled on a couple of decent deals and in a weak moment bought used. I paid for a VXL3s system, and a set of Proline Titus bead locks with buggy size Dirt hawgs...hopefully everything shows up in advertised condition. Once all the running gear is set up I'll start looking at bodies, Hamz that Raptor body looks good!

Man that's a score. Bravo Smaxxin, can't find deals close to me...lol

How far is this journey?, or it a don't stop believin journey

Cause by Friday I could have all the stock suspension parts for your MERV transformation

New stock tire
New stock a-arm set (front/rear)
New stock toe links
New stock push rods
Used half shafts
Used centre half shafts

The new stuff got swapped out before it first run, also have the battery that came with it never charged or used

Thanks for the offer but the postman was good to me yesterday :D

mervparts_zps92e7f9aa.gif

titus_zps8dfccbb8.gif

Those are the same tires and wheels on mine. You'll probably need to gear it down a couple of teeth to prevent thermalling.

Yea those tires and wheels are heavy, one of them weighs as much as all four of the stock slash tires. I'll be running the vxl from the 1/10 slash so hopefully it won't be prone to thremalling as much as the 1/16 version. I'll find out Tuesday!

Back