Slipper Clutch

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bighomedog11

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey for some reason i notice that my clutch would sometimes slip. I have tighten my spur gear all the way then back off 1/8 of a turn and it still slips. I am wondering why is it doing this. I got friction pegs in all 12 holes. I also had changed my motor to a 3.3 it was oringal the 2.5 but i did that awhile back and never had any problems. I am trying to figure out why is it slipping.

It's probably dirty and glazed. I like to lay fine grit sand paper on a flat surface. Using a circular motion, rub the plates on the sand paper until the surface is scratched evenly. Wipe all contact surfaces off with your preferred nitro cleaner and reassemble.

Yeah my engine does look a little dirty / greasy. Should i take off the clutch and do that?

---------- Post added at 9:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:45 PM ----------

I also notice when i pull the string it seems like its slipping and not catching the motor everytime

Dirty motor? Probably dirty one way bearing, needs to be cleaned and oiled

Could that cause the problem though? And can i use After run oil to oil them?

You will have to pull off your pull cord and remove the one way bearing to clean it. I use break kleen and WD-40. just don't get the break kleen on any plastic. If it still slips you may need to replace it.

You will have to pull off your pull cord and remove the one way bearing to clean it. I use break kleen and WD-40. just don't get the break kleen on any plastic. If it still slips you may need to replace it.

That is just fixing the pull-start that is not fixing the main problem. My slipping clutch

Is it your sliper clutch and not your centrifugal clutch?
Sliper clutch - do what metel head sugested
centrifugal clutch- replace it.

I am not sure witch one it is. I just know it is slipping sometimes when i give it gas and it will rev up but wont move But sometimes it will move..

Clean the shoes and bell with sand paper and nitro cleaner as well. Replace the shoes if they're worn.

I know the pads are not worn, I just put a new clutch in a few weeks ago.. Do the friction pegs wear down? Because i notice my friction pegs are flat on my spur gear.. Is that normal

Everyone seems to be having the same slipper issues this week that I fixed on my tmaxx. Buy the torque control slipper upgrade kit and replace your stock one with it. It's better and will handle anything the 3.3 dishes out to it. $25 from traxxas and includes everything you need

---------- Post added at 9:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:57 AM ----------

My pegs were flat as well and truck wouldn't move. Upgrade fixed it!

---------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:58 AM ----------

Everyone seems to be having the same slipper issues this week that I fixed on my tmaxx. Buy the torque control slipper upgrade kit and replace your stock one with it. It's better and will handle anything the 3.3 dishes out to it. $25 from traxxas and includes everything you need

---------- Post added at 9:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 9:57 AM ----------

My pegs were flat as well and truck wouldn't move. Upgrade fixed it!

Traxxas part # 5351X

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

Damn I quoted myself.

So it is my pegs? Because they are flat, I think they could be worn down because i haven't changed them in awhile

mine were worn down too and the truck wouldnt move at all. it started out slipping really bad then it just quit moving all together. Replace your pegs or just get a whole rebuild kit i think its around $17 for the set but if you got the 3.3 in it i recommend strongly going with the torque control slipper upgrade kit instead of having to keep replacing your pegs on the stock slipper.

mine were worn down too and the truck wouldnt move at all. it started out slipping really bad then it just quit moving all together. Replace your pegs or just get a whole rebuild kit i think its around $17 for the set but if you got the 3.3 in it i recommend strongly going with the torque control slipper upgrade kit instead of having to keep replacing your pegs on the stock slipper.

I am going to replace my pegs this time and see if that is the problem. Do the pegs wear down real fast? How often do you suppose to change the pegs because its been a few months sense i changed them.

The pegs can only wear so far, then the gear will start showing wear. I've had them worn flush with the gear most times I've serviced them. When clean and glaze free, they always work fine. I've never had the old style slipper not work. The new style is just easier to tune.

Yeah just seems that the torque of the 3.3 on a 2.5 tranny wears out the slipper pegs faster then normal. That's why I recommended the upgrade. It last longer and is easier to adjust to your liking.

I bought some new pegs today and it fixed my problem..I am going to eventually get the upgrade but for rite now it is good still they wear down again..

Back