How would a slipper clutch do on a clay track?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
So for this year, I am forcing my uncle to bring his buggy down with us to Beach RC while down for summer vaca. His car (Xray 2017 XB4C) is set up for carpet and has the normal slipper clutch. He is just thinking on getting new tires, leaving the setup how it is now (I believe he is running stock kit setup which he likes) and locking up the slipper clutch so it doesn't slip.
I'm just wondering how this would do in the lower traction clay?
Would it be better if I get him a center diff?
If I do get him the center diff, he would only use it for this trip to Beach RC.Unless he wants to go to the local clay track up here in MD.
With the center diff, It looks like it has plastic gears. With his application (6.5t Mod motor) it might tore those gears right apart so is it even worth it?
Now if I do get the center diff, hopefully the driveshaft length is the same and hopefully it is a direct drop in.
XRAY Complete Center Gear Differential (XB4 '15)

Now as far as tires, I'm not sure what he will pick out. Currently on my B74, I am running Jconcepts Ellipse front and rear, At Beach RC, they should be able to hook up. When I was at the local clay track up here in MD, the car was sliding around a bit around corners. Some traction compound should help that. If I want to, I can always sand the tires down to slicks if needed.
Not to mention, the clay track in MD just got a new layout and fresh new dirt so traction should be pretty high so if I go down there, the car might hook up better than the first couple times there.

I used to race with a center slipper on my 13.5 wheeler for years, I knew better that I needed to install a center diff when I traveled to race at SDRC in SoCal which is indoor clay. I actually started with 10K but found 60K to be the sweet spot.

Out of laziness I left the 60K in it when I came back to race on the turf track and discovered that the 60K was far better for turf than the slipper!

#nevergoingbacktoslipperagain

As far as tires go, talk to the locals and go with their recommended tire/sauce combo.

When I raced at SDRC I ran Raw Speed Slicks Gumball with PB Blaster for sauce and I was dialed ;)

Back