Slash 4WD: Metal Spur Gear?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfletcher

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello - Recently got a slash 4WD and have burned through a couple of spur gears. Surely it's driving style, but I was wondering if any of you have used an aftermarket spur gear, something stronger, even metal? If so, please share your experiences. The advice I have received is to just keep using the stock one, and that is breaks down fairly easily intentionally... the intention to prevent other more costly parts from breaking. But then I heard from a more experienced RC'er friend of mine that he rec's a metal gear.

Thoughts? Experiences?

I asked the same question recently because I was going throught plastic spur gears and come to find out I had a slight bend in my center shaft that holds the spur gear. Bought another shaft and voila...

The metal spur gears will cause more damage if something else is bent or not alligned compared to a plastic spur which will just eat the teeth away.

After visiting a local track recently and talking to a couple of guys they all advised against metal spurs.

How fast do you go through spurs?

"It's Only Money, Right?!

As long as all the components are in good shape, stripping spurs is usually due to a bad mesh or overly-tight slipper. When are they going out on ya? On hard landings? Or just hard acceleration? A little more info will help us to pin-point why they're breaking.

As long as all the components are in good shape, stripping spurs is usually due to a bad mesh or overly-tight slipper.

+1. Should be fine under the hardest acceleration. Itf ur gear is good, its your mesh.

I've personally never came across a situation that a metal spur would've made better. If a stock plastic spur can hold up to a Momba Monster on 6s in a Maxx with 40series tires and rims, I see no reason to go metal.

+1. That is why it is designed that way. Its made to hold those rpms and fast takeoffs. thats why they put them on there.

As long as all the components are in good shape, stripping spurs is usually due to a bad mesh or overly-tight slipper. When are they going out on ya? On hard landings? Or just hard acceleration? A little more info will help us to pin-point why they're breaking.

I have to agree as this has been my experience. Usually, my problems have come from gear mesh.:whhooo:

I would stay with plastic traxxas spurs, if you go metal you will have more problems on your hands.

What pitch/tooth gears come stock 4x4 Slash ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello - Recently got a slash 4WD and have burned through a couple of spur gears. Surely it's driving style, but I was wondering if any of you have used an aftermarket spur gear, something stronger, even metal? If so, please share your experiences. The advice I have received is to just keep using the stock one, and that is breaks down fairly easily intentionally... the intention to prevent other more costly parts from breaking. But then I heard from a more experienced RC'er friend of mine that he rec's a metal gear.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Thats one of the only problems I have with my 4wd's is the spur gears. They are hard to keep good even if meshed properly. The motor seems to like to move on real hard landings too wich never helps lol. I wouldnt mind running a metal spur but maybe having the clutch slip a bit so it isnt such a instant grab on everything.

My nephew asked me this question over the weekend. When I checked out his truck, the mesh was TIGHT, ditto for the slip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back