Stock Plastic Spur or Metal Spur for Absima Stoke 4s to 6s

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skipinda

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I've seen some posts for this topic plastic over metal spur gears, but seems to go off topic about steering etc..

I've dropped off my car to get repaired and the shop stated not to go with a metal spur gear as it will damage the other components. I have an Absima Stoke 4s but I've upgraded the Motor and Esc (Hobby King EzRun Combo) so it is capable of taking 2x 3s batteries. Since upgrading the motor it's melted the plastic Spur Gear. Although the shop has stated to go with plastic as it's the weakest point to go wrong and cheaply to replace as stated in other posts. Is this a good idea if I want to run 6s setup on it. Even still if I had 2x 2s Batteries at least it still wouldn't burn out so quickly.

I understand I'd also have to get the 13T pinion gear also. Standard is 15T so would this give me more speed, as I'm not doing jumps with this I just want off road speed. I would of thought more Teeth on the gear would make it faster.

I don't want to buy a plastic spur gear for it to burn out after a few hours of running this like it's done since upgrading it.

As you can see from the parts list attached the only 6s Parts are the Spur Gear, Pinion & Shocks. The rest of the parts are across both models.

I've tried contacting Absima a number of times but haven't had any responses to my queries about this.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Absima Parts list.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 48
A typical 1/8 scale buggy with a 1900kV motor on 4S is pretty wicked. A 2300kV motor (like is used on Absima's Stoke platform) would be even more bonkers. I can only see using 6S for speed runs and such. But hey, trial & error can be a good thing when dumping gobs of power on a drivetrain. A hobby grade RC is able to be rebuilt when parts fail.

Perhaps the composite used for Absima's spur gears is not the greatest? I don't know. If the spur gear was just melted, I'd say there is a good chance the mesh was too tight. Perhaps a harsh landing jarred the motor mount? If you want a steel spur... get a steel spur. If doing so... make sure to use a hardened steel pinion gear.

Last edited:
I've seen some posts for this topic plastic over metal spur gears, but seems to go off topic about steering etc..

I've dropped off my car to get repaired and the shop stated not to go with a metal spur gear as it will damage the other components. I have an Absima Stoke 4s but I've upgraded the Motor and Esc (Hobby King EzRun Combo) so it is capable of taking 2x 3s batteries. Since upgrading the motor it's melted the plastic Spur Gear. Although the shop has stated to go with plastic as it's the weakest point to go wrong and cheaply to replace as stated in other posts. Is this a good idea if I want to run 6s setup on it. Even still if I had 2x 2s Batteries at least it still wouldn't burn out so quickly.

I understand I'd also have to get the 13T pinion gear also. Standard is 15T so would this give me more speed, as I'm not doing jumps with this I just want off road speed. I would of thought more Teeth on the gear would make it faster.

I don't want to buy a plastic spur gear for it to burn out after a few hours of running this like it's done since upgrading it.

As you can see from the parts list attached the only 6s Parts are the Spur Gear, Pinion & Shocks. The rest of the parts are across both models.

I've tried contacting Absima a number of times but haven't had any responses to my queries about this.

Thanks.
Your LHS is correct, the spur gear and the a-arms are two places you do not generally want to have metal. These are two of the main points that are designed to be the first part to give when something is wrong/goes wrong so that you dont damage more expensive/harder to replace parts else where on the rig.

If you're tearing up spur gears quickly then its very likely you have something in the driveline (usually bearings) that are either dirty all the way to non functioning and they are producing drag in the driveline. If youve gone through the entire drive line (both front & rear diffs, center diff or transmission and all four corners worth of wheel bearings) and youve determined that it is all functioning as intended then, and ONLY then, would I consider the use of a metal spur.

As for the pinion gear, having more teeth will produce higher top speed but less torque/acceleration down low and visa versa. Higher tooth count will also put more strain on the motor making it run hotter too.

Back