2wd slash differential problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E4Quest

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So I am pretty new to the hobby and I bought a pretty beat slash off of a family member to fix up and use. So I bought a new motor, suspension etc. but while I’m waiting on the motor to come in I have the old one out and I’m just giving it a deep clean. Then I turned the spur gear and it only moved the left side tire but I’d I spun the right side the gears spins. The motor and pinion gear out if that has to do anything. I don’t know if this is normal so someone with more experience please help.

With a used kit, bearings are likely worn. If the bearings on one axle side are a little more gummed up, and the diff is lacking proper fill, one wheel will easily spin before the other.

I would tear it completely apart and check the bearings. Take the diff apart and clean everything in it and the trans in a bowl of Simple Green. Make sure you check the thin plastic shims on the gears in the trans. There are 4 of them in the trans. Part number 1985 in this PDF...
111123-TQi-5803-Transmission.jpg

Those shims tend to wear, so you might grab a pack of them off Amazon

Reassemble everything per the exploded view above, and put new grease on all the gears and in the diff. It's not a sealed diff, so just repack it with some Mobil 1 synthetic grease, unless someone else has any other suggestions.

Last edited:
That actually doesn't look bad. Should be fine, but with a used kit, it is always a good idea to check and refill the diff and grease the gears anyway.

That actually doesn't look bad. Should be fine, but with a used kit, it is always a good idea to check and refill the diff and grease the gears anyway.
Ok thanks on another site they just told me it was a open differential

Ok thanks on another site they just told me it was a open differential
Well, kinda sorta. You can put heavy grease in the diff to tighten things up. It should be fine. You can pull the entire rear assembly off with just a few screws under the chassis, and there is a window into the diff gear through the trans case. You can apply grease there and spin the spur to work it into the other gears.

Well, kinda sorta. You can put heavy grease in the diff to tighten things up. It should be fine. You can pull the entire rear assembly off with just a few screws under the chassis, and there is a window into the diff gear through the trans case. You can apply grease there and spin the spur to work it into the other gears.
Would you recommend putting a castle creations Mamba X 1515-2200kv combo in my Traxxas Revo 3.3 converted to electric?? I am looking for a cheap 6s system and this seems like the route to go. Any feedback would be nice. I already have another person saying that it would be too powerful for it so for now I have 1 no and 0 yeses.

Would you recommend putting a castle creations Mamba X 1515-2200kv combo in my Traxxas Revo 3.3 converted to electric?? I am looking for a cheap 6s system and this seems like the route to go. Any feedback would be nice. I already have another person saying that it would be too powerful for it so for now I have 1 no and 0 yeses.
No, the Mamba X is not a good choice for the E-Revo. The E-Revo weighs over 11 lbs, and Castle says...

Note: *In 1/8th scale setups, the Mamba X is intended to be used for off-road racing in buggies weighing up to 9 lbs (including batteries and ready-to-run). In these 1/8th scale racing setups, the Mamba X should be run at 4S Lipo (16.8V) max and is recommended to be paired with the Castle 1512-1800Kv (P/N: 060-0062-00) or Castle 1512-2650Kv (P/N: 060-0061-00) motor, with appropriate gearing only.

The 1515 2200kV is a good motor to use but the ESC you want is either the Mamba Monster 2 (sensorless) or Mamba Monster X (sensored).

That being said you're going to need to make sure you have metal gears in the transmission or some people will use the E-REVO tranny. Also make sure you have either E-REVO diffs or if theyre not compatible make sure you get some sort of heavy duty diffs for it or find aluminum diff housings. You'll likely need after market heavy duty CVDs also.

I've not done an E conversion on a REVO but based on the nitro kits I have converted in the past this is what you will likely need to do in order to make sure the kit will handle 6S.

Thanks for the advice. I will look into the mamba monster x ESC and the other motor or should I get the mamba monster x combo?

Thanks for the advice. I will look into the mamba monster x ESC and the other motor or should I get the mamba monster x combo?
If it were me Id get the MMX/1515 2200kV combo if you need the motor and the ESC both.

Back