Should I dispose of this LiPo?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pug

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
I was running my Typhon 3s for about 10 minutes, my POVWAY 3s LiPo (yes, I know it’s bad, I just don’t have the money to upgrade it right now) managed to hit 91F on a 50F day. It doesn’t show any puffing, the IR is 4, 1, 1. Normally, my other LiPos don’t get this hot, is it just not supplying enough amps?

91F isnt a problem for a lipo just in terms of temps. Keep an eye on those IRs though, your first cell is getting weaker than the other two. Id keep using it personally but Id keep an eye on the temps and the IRs.

I guess you should, I had the same sort of problems and I disposed of it.

I was running my Typhon 3s for about 10 minutes, my POVWAY 3s LiPo (yes, I know it’s bad, I just don’t have the money to upgrade it right now) managed to hit 91F on a 50F day. It doesn’t show any puffing, the IR is 4, 1, 1. Normally, my other LiPos don’t get this hot, is it just not supplying enough amps?
I don't know a quarter of the stuff that GreyWolf does, but my $0.02 is keep running it, just make sure to keep an eye on all of it's readings (IR, Voltage, ect.), and of course store it in a LiPo bag or something. What is the C rating of the pack? Maybe it's too low, or the pack is getting older, unbalanced cells, drivetrain binding, were you bashing hard or pushing the car; were your motor and ESC temps up too?

I don't know a quarter of the stuff that GreyWolf does, but my $0.02 is keep running it, just make sure to keep an eye on all of it's readings (IR, Voltage, ect.), and of course store it in a LiPo bag or something. What is the C rating of the pack? Maybe it's too low, or the pack is getting older, unbalanced cells, drivetrain binding, were you bashing hard or pushing the car; were your motor and ESC temps up too?
It says 60c, the real c is probably like 15 - 20c. It’s not even a year old yet, my 1 1/2 year old Hoovo 2s is still going strong. I don’t bash too hard but I do run it at full throttle a lot, lol. I always mesh my gears perfectly, and the bearings are perfect. Motor and esc temps are normal. I will test it again when I get my Typhon into working condition.

It says 60c, the real c is probably like 15 - 20c. It’s not even a year old yet, my 1 1/2 year old Hoovo 2s is still going strong. I don’t bash too hard but I do run it at full throttle a lot, lol. I always mesh my gears perfectly, and the bearings are perfect. Motor and esc temps are normal. I will test it again when I get my Typhon into working condition.
If it consistently gets warm after runs, then that's one of the indicators that the "C-rating" is too low. I believe Hoovo batteries aren't top of the line, but several people use them and they don't have complaints, good budget packs I think! Maybe it's just not a pack that will last long? Does it usually get warm/hot when you use it? Again, I'd run as is but take precautions, and of course don't use it when bashing, or hard applications. What happened to your Typhoon?

If it consistently gets warm after runs, then that's one of the indicators that the "C-rating" is too low. I believe Hoovo batteries aren't top of the line, but several people use them and they don't have complaints, good budget packs I think! Maybe it's just not a pack that will last long? Does it usually get warm/hot when you use it? Again, I'd run as is but take precautions, and of course don't use it when bashing, or hard applications. What happened to your Typhoon?
Ok! I will try to get a CNHL LiPo next time. It does get a little warm when using it usually.
I bent the motor mount on the Typhon, I tried to straighten it and it didn’t work. I ordered a HR motor mount and printed a motor brace which has been working really well on my cousin’s Granite.

Ok! I will try to get a CNHL LiPo next time. It does get a little warm when using it usually.
I bent the motor mount on the Typhon, I tried to straighten it and it didn’t work. I ordered a HR motor mount and printed a motor brace which has been working really well on my cousin’s Granite.
I'm not going to suggest any specific brand of LiPos, as I don't have much experience in that area, check out GreyWolf's Lipo comparison thread for that stuff! Bent motor mount huh? How'd that happen? Did you take a big impact/landing and the motor flexed the mount and hit the chassis? Oh cool, I didn't know that motor mount braces were used, and I certainly didn't know you could print them! 3D printing for the win! I wish I had one and could print stuff...👍

I'm not going to suggest any specific brand of LiPos, as I don't have much experience in that area, check out GreyWolf's Lipo comparison thread for that stuff! Bent motor mount huh? How'd that happen? Did you take a big impact/landing and the motor flexed the mount and hit the chassis? Oh cool, I didn't know that motor mount braces were used, and I certainly didn't know you could print them! 3D printing for the win! I wish I had one and could print stuff...👍
I had landed on the nose pretty badly, and with the lack of a bumper, it landed wheels first (not in a good way). I do follow GreyWolf’s comparison thread though. I have an Ender 3 Pro, it’s fairly cheap, I got it for $169 USD on Amazon Prime Day.

I had landed on the nose pretty badly, and with the lack of a bumper, it landed wheels first (not in a good way). I do follow GreyWolf’s comparison thread though. I have an Ender 3 Pro, it’s fairly cheap, I got it for $169 USD on Amazon Prime Day.
Man that must've been a hard landing to bend the mount!

That seems like a good deal, I've heard of that printer before.
Man that must've been a hard landing to bend the mount!

That seems like a good deal, I've heard of that printer before.

Back