SCX24 "DEADbolt" getting a makeover.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, while I am waiting for the replacement axle that I snapped, I got some more goodies installed.

First up, some Treal front knuckles.

PSX_20210907_210555.jpg

Also added an Injora front bumper, have to admit the d-rings look much better than my home made set.
PSX_20210907_210733.jpg

Next is a set of Injora wheels and tires...that was one heck of a lot of little screws! You'll have to excuse the cat hair, Houdini was "helping" me tonight.

PSX_20210907_210909.jpg

No picture but I did put on some axle extenders, not sure If I will keep them on but was curious. Of course only three are on until my axle arrives. I do have a front axle cover on order too.

And last but not least, everything all together.

PSX_20210907_210958.jpg

Next up will probably be an electronics upgrade, but I need to wait a few weeks to let the funds build back up. ;)

Ok, while I am waiting for the replacement axle that I snapped, I got some more goodies installed.

View attachment 132158

Also added an Injora front bumper, have to admit the d-rings look much better than my home made set.View attachment 132159

Next is a set of Injora wheels and tires...that was one heck of a lot of little screws! You'll have to excuse the cat hair, Houdini was "helping" me tonight.

View attachment 132160

No picture but I did put on some axle extenders, not sure If I will keep them on but was curious. Of course only three are on until my axle arrives. I do have a front axle cover on order too.

View attachment 132161

Next up will probably be an electronics upgrade, but I need to wait a few weeks to let the funds build back up. ;)
Damn that looks good! I am going to have to grab that bumper!

Oh hey @Doom! I ordered a new servo for mine. I will let you know how it works. I am hoping for a direct fit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Powerhobby...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
Screenshot_20210908-062752_eBay.jpg

Operating Voltage: 3.6-6.5 V
Operating speed: 0.085sec/60° @ 4.8V
Operating speed: 0.075sec/60° @ 6.0V
Stall Torque: 0.9 kg-cm (12.5 oz-in) @ 4.8V
Stall Torque: 1.0 kg-cm (13.9 oz-in) @ 6.0V
Motor type: Coreless
Gear type: Copper
Size: 21.3*11.5*17.6mm (0.84 x 0.45 x 0.69 in)
Weight: 8g​

Oh hey @Doom! I ordered a new servo for mine. I will let you know how it works. I am hoping for a direct fit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Powerhobby...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
View attachment 132163

Operating Voltage: 3.6-6.5 V​

Operating speed: 0.085sec/60° @ 4.8V​

Operating speed: 0.075sec/60° @ 6.0V​

Stall Torque: 0.9 kg-cm (12.5 oz-in) @ 4.8V​

Stall Torque: 1.0 kg-cm (13.9 oz-in) @ 6.0V​

Motor type: Coreless​

Gear type: Copper​

Size: 21.3*11.5*17.6mm (0.84 x 0.45 x 0.69 in)​

Weight: 8g​

Definitely need to let us know how that goes.

Definitely need to let us know how that goes.
Will do. The only thing besides fitment that I am worried about is this Powerhobby one is slightly less torque than the Emax one. But I am guessing it is still a lot stronger than stock. Maybe I can do a test to compare them. Any ideas? I don't want to burn this one up, but maybe I could build a test stand with a weight for the servo to lift 🤔

Will do. The only thing besides fitment that I am worried about is this Powerhobby one is slightly less torque than the Emax one. But I am guessing it is still a lot stronger than stock. Maybe I can do a test to compare them. Any ideas? I don't want to burn this one up, but maybe I could build a test stand with a weight for the servo to lift 🤔
It doesn't seem anyone has develope, and selling, a strong reliable micro servo of this size.
I went through 3 Spektrum micro servos for my SCX10III. All this thing was doing was shifting in and out of the dig unit. Not exactly a heavy, demanding task. Yet, they would all burn out within a couple of dozen shifts. Yes, endpoints were set properly.

It doesn't seem anyone has develope, and selling, a strong reliable micro servo of this size.
I went through 3 Spektrum micro servos for my SCX10III. All this thing was doing was shifting in and out of the dig unit. Not exactly a heavy, demanding task. Yet, they would all burn out within a couple of dozen shifts. Yes, endpoints were set properly.
The Reffs Micro 99 is the goto it seems for these trucks, but they are pretty pricey, and require modification to get them installed. They are pretty big. I really wish someone would make a direct replacement for these trucks.

I currently have the frame rails and center link mount modeled up in my CAD program so I can start designing custom mounts for everything. I am slowly buying the parts to build a custom rig, kinda like I did with my WPL C14 here.
20210724_215509.jpg

I am doing this same thing for the SCX24 along with designing a 6x6, but the main plan is to try to move things as far forward and down low as I can. So sourcing a small, dependable servo is kinda key for what I am trying to do. A 6 wheel steer would be pretty cool as well, so yeah... small servo needed.

Last edited:
@Greywolf74 asked me for the stock servo dimensions. These aren't exact, but should be within .010" or so. These dimensions are in metric. If you need them in SAE, let me know.

Stock Servo Side View.png

Stock Servo Top View.png

View attachment 132158

Also added an Injora front bumper, have to admit the d-rings look much better than my home made set.View attachment 132159

View attachment 132160

View attachment 132161

Man that thing looks great bro!
@Greywolf74 asked me for the stock servo dimensions. These aren't exact, but should be within .010" or so. These dimensions are in metric. If you need them in SAE, let me know.

View attachment 132167
View attachment 132168
Thanks bro.

Last edited:
Man that thing looks great bro!

Thanks bro. I'm assuming thats mm?
Yeah. Metric

Actually, looking now at the dims of the Powerhobby one, it looks to be the same. I measured mine with it in the truck, so I could be off slightly.

Finally got the bits and peices i needed to fix my front axle. Got the axle back in place, sended down the exterior of the nut that was a little snug to fit in my rim, (think thats how I broke the other axle) and put the treal knuckle back on. While tightening the steering arm back onto the knuckle I snapped the bolt.🤬

Score: Bolts two, Doom 0
d862bd14-67ae-4345-b5ec-bd4e15e8697f.png

Fortunately I have another set of knuckles I was going to put on my other rig. So off came the knuckle I just put on, swapped in the new knuckle and finally got it all going again. I still have a treal front pumpkin to put on but might just save it for later.

Going to see if there is anyway to save that knuckle, super small, don't think I can tap and remove the screw without stripping the threads.

PSX_20210919_121053.jpg

Anyhow, the Doom buggy has informed me it doesn't care for that name, so now it goes by the name of "Ogre", who am I to argue?

PSX_20210919_120854.jpg
PSX_20210919_120805.jpg

If you take a small drill from the bottom it should push that screw back out.