SCT suggestions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexander_0_1

"Roads, where we're going we don't need roads"
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey, guys I found a fellow R/C enthusiast, and so far I've run my savages, along side his t-maxx and summit. It was fun but the guy also has a 1/10 4x4 slash that he let me try, now I think I want a SCT only I'm not sure what's a good starting point. I happen to like the tekno 410, but I not sure of its quality. So I guess what I'm asking is what's a quality SCT?;)

The Tekno sct410 is the best "racing" SCT of course I'm sort of partial to it since i race it, I'm sure others will think the same about thier sct's, But if your just bashing around with your buddies or an occasional "grudge day" at the track Stick with the Slash, The Tekno is a relatively heavy truck and on a 10 minute main the batteries are close to LVC, (with my electronics anyway) as for the durability of the Tekno its very tough, i havent broke anything on mine as of yet, but as stated its a heavy truck and with serious racing its rough on shock fluid and diff fluid, so for bashing i would stick with the slash with the vilineon setup. Just my .02 :D

The Slash is certainly a good basher. I'm driving the hell out of mine and its held up well, except for the vxl. I would suggest replacing the motor/esc with something a little better.

I thought about the slash first, but the other guy has one and I like to have something a lil different. I also like the use of 7075 in the tekno 410s aluminum components. And I'm a little disappointed in 1/16 revo....and for this reason I think I'm going to sway away from traxxas products, unless I build them myself, with significantly less plastic!

What is it that you're disappointed in about the MERV? I've literally beat the crap out of mine for 2 years, and nothing has broken other than a axle popping apart that was repaired at 0 cost.

Remember, plastic will bend, and snap back. Aluminum bends and stays bent. For a race rig that's fine for certain things where you want the rigidity, for a bash rig, there's really no point other than looks.

Associated, Losi, Tekno; they all have nice high end SC truck kits, it's just a matter or personal preference really. For bashing around, a Slash can't be beat durability wise.

I guess it's not enough like a mini MT, or as much as I hoped it would be, I know for a fact that they don't like slopes/hills or fresh cut grassy areas, Even with 55t spur/19t pinion I'm still having heat issues in the back yard, to the point where I've cut pieces out of the lid for ventilation.

Durability is so-so I've cart-wheeled my MERV in the driveway twice with the loss of one $10 chassis. I'm not thrilled about the time spent to fix the short comings of the suspension or drivetrain, this is most likely due to my personal preference of alloy parts.

Traxxas customer support is superb, on this alone I would recommend the brand to anyone that wanted to "try" the R/C hobby out. But when you can build a traxxas anything 10 times better with aftermarket parts support then I'd personally prefer to burn my money that way, rather then pick up the run of the mill RTR, and eventually change 75% of it.

this is most likely due to my personal preference of alloy parts.

Probably, I saw a Slash 4x4 getting some huge air this weekend and it only had the basic hop ups. After about 2-3 hours of abuse it was still taking it.

I hear you. The guy that let me try his was driving it off 5' snow piles with a nice icy glaze at the local ski hill, on the count of all the warm weather we've been having. He was beating on that slash and it seemed like it was holding up well enough.

Have you looked at the SCTE?

Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers?.......do they R/C?

So I've been doing some online window shopping since I'm stuck waiting for semi trucks to slide down a hill....boring! anyway.

I've started to take a liking to the TRL SCT line up, mostly the nitro version, but it would be nice to have the electric version as well.

I've also given the slash another glance, but I've decided the only way I could see myself owning a slash would be if I can acquire these parts. The top one seems like a longshot, but the bottom one seen to be still in production.

http://store.rc4wd.com/Hardcore-Slash-G10-Upgrade-Kit-_p_1085.html

http://store.rc4wd.com/Chrome-Tube-Chassis-for-Traxxas-Slash-4x4-Edition_p_770.html

Last edited by a moderator:
^^Yawn! Time for me to change my clutch bell bearings, again!^^

Not everything depends on who makes it around a track fastest, I just happen to like the scale appeal of the RC4WD slash parts,

P.S you should learn to relax, bud. If I didn't think you were at least slightly enjoyable, I wouldn't have started any conversation with you.

Last edited:
The hpi blitz is a worthy truck to consider. I've owned the blitz and the slash. I like the blitz much better.

I do love my HPI products. In all truth I want to put one of my picco/boost.28s on it, but I'm not opposed to the notion of electric anything....not anymore!

sc10gt, i got one i only would only upgrade to a hump pack for the receiver . All so check the collar/grub on the linkage and make sure the carb is set to fully open. I have run and i tell ya its nice truck. I did notice well doing some off road driving it wanted to bottom out but you can add some spacers if you want. It has a roar legal 75cc tank but you can go with the upgraded 150cc as its a drop in . these rtr come with a glow starter and fuel bottle and there pretty cool for a 2WD sc

^^i just checked out the team associates video....they look nice! they sound angry and small, but I like them.

associated are nice trucks, hard to tune but nice trucks none the less

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:31 AM ----------

No sir, I'm talking about this one right here:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...roduct-Feeds&gclid=CLDr4tq6zbwCFUcV7Aod6jwAPg

You can make all the jokes you want, but when your Traxxas gets it's butt kicked by it just remember this post.

WOW...Really? why would you post something like that....... he is right you should relax, that comment doesn't help him at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
You both need to relax and stop antagonizing each other with the little flame war you have going. I'm tired of getting reports about this thread, if you can't discuss something without making it personal, then don't discuss it at all. Pretty simple really, and it's clearly listed in the rules. Last chance...

Here's my $0.02

I was really drawn to the SCTs, bought one, built it up and have run it quite a bit. I have driven many others as well. Here is my conclusion on the vehicle type (speaking almost exclusively of 4x4 SCTs).

-They are a bit more durable than other 1/10 scales, owing primarily to the very protective bumpers & body.

-They are not really 1/10 scale

-They are fun to bash with, but far less graceful on a track

-The bodies act like parachutes, making them decend far slower and with far less grace than buggies or stadium trucks.

-Though tougher than most other 1/10 stuff, they are 1/8 buggy size with near-1/8 buggy weight, but basically 1/10 scale sized drivetrain and suspension parts. In other words, they are nowhere near as durable as a 1/8 buggy.

-The added size and weight make a lot of 1/10 scale engines or motors/ESCs inadequate; a 540 can and corressponding 1/10 ESC has to work a lot harder on a 6 pound SCT than a 3-4 pound buggy or stadium truck.

-The 2WD SCTs are little more than a stadium truck with SCT body and bumpers.

Summary:

Having had my fun with it, I'm pretty much over them. At least as they are from manufacturers. In 2WD, I'd rather have the lighter weight and more graceful stadium truck chassis. In 4WD, I prefer a 1/8 buggy.

I am building a new SCT, but it is nothing more than an e-converted 1/8 buggy with 1/10 SCT body and bumpers. Much, much tougher.

If you're going to race SCT class, then you need an SCT that meets the requirements (a converted 1/8 buggy is a tad wide and overweight). Otherwise, I'd personally suggest something like the OFNA Ultra LX2e, and if you're really sold on the SCT, then just add the body & bumpers. Or buy a 1/8 SCT; they are slightly larger than the 1/10 scales, but built on 1/8 truggy platforms, so quite tough.

Back