What should I do?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corya

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have been into rc cars for a very long time maybe 15+ years and I have never really raced just speed and driving around really not a lot of jumping. I am looking at getting a new sct, I have a track at my house but I’m not sure if I’m going to race in and comps. I would like to but don’t have the time, that being said I am looking to get a new sct, and was wanting to know some opinions. I was looking into the sct410.3 and a traxxas slash ultimate, or any other brands even but is the 410 really that much better if I’m not going to race and if I do it’ll be here and there for fun. Could some of you guys give me some good advice on the decision?

Hey corya....Welcome to the forum. Can't comment on Traxxas but I'm in process of buildingTekno EB410.2 (buggy). Great kit. Parts are all quality, precision fit. Top notch machining on aluminum parts. Instructions are very good, easy to follow. Includes grease, locktite, 3 diff fluid, shock oil. Parts are readily available. Good luck with whatever you decide.

The Tekno SCT410.3 is a good truck for the money. Other SCT kits are the AE SC6.2, TLR SCTE 3.0. Also depends if you want a Kit or RTR. And 2wd or 4wd. The ones I listed above are all great 4wd kits. The slash ultimate is a 4wd RTR. The kits would be better for the track and racing. The RTR would be better doing both track and normal bashing. I recommend the kits if you were into rcs and also to see how the car goes together.

I don't currently own an SCT, but one that has been on my radar since seeing the promo videos is the Traxxas UDR. The suspension setup on it is pretty amazing. Watch this...

I like the fact that is has a solid rear axle, and independant front, like a real truck. It's a little pricier than some other options, but it is an awesome truck from what I have seen.

The Tekno would surely be a great choice, but you'll need to buy your own electronics and build it. So I guess it would depend on if you want RTR or a kit. And by the way, if you build the Tekno you'll have around $800-$1200 in it, depending on what electronics you go with.

So what is your budget? If money was no object, I think I'd just buy both 😉

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

I have been into rc cars for a very long time maybe 15+ years and I have never really raced just speed and driving around really not a lot of jumping. I am looking at getting a new sct, I have a track at my house but I’m not sure if I’m going to race in and comps. I would like to but don’t have the time, that being said I am looking to get a new sct, and was wanting to know some opinions. I was looking into the sct410.3 and a traxxas slash ultimate, or any other brands even but is the 410 really that much better if I’m not going to race and if I do it’ll be here and there for fun. Could some of you guys give me some good advice on the decision?
The Traxxas kit isnt a bad kit but its not race quality. The Tekno kit is a race quality kit. Losi and Associated also have great quality race kits available also.

Last edited:
The Tekno would surely be a great choice, but you'll need to buy your own electronics and build it. So I guess it would depend on if you want RTR or a kit. And by the way, if you build the Tekno you'll have around $800-$1200 in it, depending on what electronics you go with.

So what is your budget?
With my B74.1, I think I have around 840 dollars into the build right now (that is including the car which was 300 at the time) I have

Hobbywing XR10 Pro
Hobbywing V10 G4 13.5 motor
Xpert 4000 series servo
Jocncepts Ellipse silvers all around
Associated B64 offset wheels
Protek alum motor fan

When my uncle was running SCTs back in 2010-2016, he used these BIG Novak Ballistic 550 4.5T motors. He showed me a pic and those things are huge. I think he ran novak escs too or a Hobbywing V series escs. (He had a TLR SCTE and SCTE 2.0)

For today's electronics I had seen people put castle systems into them. Maybe the Hobbywing XeRun XR8 SCT will do.
If he is just doing racing and bashing a HW max10 SCT or their new max10 SCT G2 will do just fine
I think the UDR is 1/7 scale. The Losi SBR is 1/6 and kinda like the UDR with suspension.

My thing with building a high end kit is it would have me wanting to go with Tekin electronics. It's my OCD 😜

But yeah, as Grey said, the Traxxas stuff isn't going to be as nice as the Tekno. Even the UDR would be a step down I am guessing, especially considering that just about any electronics you threw in the Tekno is going to be better than the Traxxas electronics in the UDR.

@CharlieTuna - what electronics are you going to run in your EB410.2?

Last edited:
Here them motors.

IMG_20230103_152531.jpg

IMG_20230103_152534.jpg

I don’t really have a budget, I’m pretty high maintenance when it comes to my rc cars. I have been looking at the max10 g2 140a sensored, I was looking at the ultimate for awhile to put the hobbywing in but I have seen a lot of people saying sct410.3 is way better. Is it really better in all aspects? I just like the fact that I can order a traxxas part and have it here by tomorrow, and a lot of people say tekno isn’t necessarily in every shop. Can you build a traxxas ultimate to be as good as the techno or is it not even worth trying? I’m just asking because I got my family into the hobby now we all can race on our track, I have multiple traxxas vehicles so I have parts for days for them. I know you can make anything fast and durable but can you make it tekno durable?

I know you can make anything fast and durable but can you make it tekno durable?
I am not sure, as I don't own either. I just know I want both of them. Since you don't sound like you are real serious about wanting to race, I'd maybe grab the Ultimate. Or you can even buy a Slash as a kit and build it the way you want. The Slash is a fun truck and has tons of aftermarket goodies for it. The Tekno for me would be fun as well, but I would be more serious about building it with the best of everything.

If you really don't have a budget to deal with, I would maybe opt for the Tekno with full blown Tekin electronics. That would be nearly the ultimate SCT racer.

Maybe a fun project would be to grab the Tekno, then later grab a Slash and see if you can make it competitive?

I guess what I am saying is it's kinda up to you. The Tekno will be the most durable, out of the box especially. The Traxxas stuff has more headroom for upgrades since they are more entry level, and has a ton of aftermarket support. So if you think you might enjoy upgrading things, maybe a Traxxas Slash is a better choice.

I don’t really have a budget, I’m pretty high maintenance when it comes to my rc cars. I have been looking at the max10 g2 140a sensored, I was looking at the ultimate for awhile to put the hobbywing in but I have seen a lot of people saying sct410.3 is way better. Is it really better in all aspects? I just like the fact that I can order a traxxas part and have it here by tomorrow, and a lot of people say tekno isn’t necessarily in every shop. Can you build a traxxas ultimate to be as good as the techno or is it not even worth trying? I’m just asking because I got my family into the hobby now we all can race on our track, I have multiple traxxas vehicles so I have parts for days for them. I know you can make anything fast and durable but can you make it tekno durable?
Parts support is as you say. Traxxas is in every hobby shop, Tekno maybe it is, maybe its not. The Slash is a solid basher, the Tekno is a solid race kit. Race kits can be turned in to great bashers. Bashers can not be turned in to competitive race kits. :2cents:

I agree with both @WickedFog and @Greywolf74. I tried to make my slash and rustler for the track. Not the best cars for competitive racing. Also another thing to note. The slash kit is the 2wd version and comes with standard traxxas brushed electronics. If you want the basher I would get the slash 4x4 vxl or the slash ultimate. If you want to bash and race I would go with the tekno. And basically its all up to you @corya

With my slash 2wd and rustler 2wd I can't make the triple jump on the track and if I take turns way too fast I flip over. Vs my 4wd buggy, it can do the triple and I rarely flip around turns. I did notice a difference between the stock HCG and the upgraded LCG chassis with my slash. Also, 2wd vs 4wd. I think 4wd is easier to control in the air.
If you get the slash ultimate the max10 g2 sct sensored will be great. For the tekno I would all out tekin electronics or a hobbywing xr10 pro with a lower turn motor (depending on the sct class, stock or mod)
Also parts support. I would get the car that has the most parts at your local shop. Traxxas is at every shop, tekno maybe. But if you do go with the tekno I would just stock up on parts from online and bring a bag of spare parts to the track just so that you have them. That's what my uncle does with his xray. He has a bin full of spare parts since our old LHS didn't carry xray parts.

Last edited:
With my B74.1, I think I have around 840 dollars into the build right now (that is including the car which was 300 at the time) I have

Hobbywing XR10 Pro
Hobbywing V10 G4 13.5 motor
Xpert 4000 series servo
Jocncepts Ellipse silvers all around
Associated B64 offset wheels
Protek alum motor fan

When my uncle was running SCTs back in 2010-2016, he used these BIG Novak Ballistic 550 4.5T motors. He showed me a pic and those things are huge. I think he ran novak escs too or a Hobbywing V series escs. (He had a TLR SCTE and SCTE 2.0)

For today's electronics I had seen people put castle systems into them. Maybe the Hobbywing XeRun XR8 SCT will do.
If he is just doing racing and bashing a HW max10 SCT or their new max10 SCT G2 will do just fine
I think the UDR is 1/7 scale. The Losi SBR is 1/6 and kinda like the UDR with suspension.
If I was to race I heard that they will not let you run castle, I thought that you could run anything you wanted as long as it’s in the same class. I haven’t heard great things about castle but my dad does have one and I have drove his, I personally didn’t think it was too bad, I just think hobbywing is a little higher quality. I was going to go all tekno but I can’t justify spending almost $400 on just an esc and motor combo.

If I was to race I heard that they will not let you run castle, I thought that you could run anything you wanted as long as it’s in the same class. I haven’t heard great things about castle but my dad does have one and I have drove his, I personally didn’t think it was too bad, I just think hobbywing is a little higher quality. I was going to go all tekno but I can’t justify spending almost $400 on just an esc and motor combo.
The order of things would actually be
Tekin
Castle
Hobbywing

Castle has been one of the best brands for electronics for a long time now. Hobbywing is good stuff, but I would go with Castle over Hobbywing.

If you do plan to race, talk to the guys at your local track before you buy anything. Every track has different rules.

If you do plan to race, talk to the guys at your local track before you buy anything. Every track has different rules.
^^^^^ What I would do.
This can go for electronics, tires and the car it's self. Also for racing you would need a transponder so I would see what they use for lap time system (probably liverc or rc scoring pro) and see what transponders work with that system (I use the MyLaps RC3.

The order of things would actually be
Tekin
Castle
Hobbywing

Castle has been one of the best brands for electronics for a long time now. Hobbywing is good stuff, but I would go with Castle over Hobbywing.

I agree with WickedFog here ☝️

You guys all make really good points! I actually have been upgrading my cart as I see something els I would want, you guys have talked me into the tekno, but now I’m really leaning away from hobbywing, I know tekno has the best out there I just can’t see myself paying for for the esc/motor combo then I do the car lol. I live in Indiana so a lot of my parts come from Hobbytown and occasionally Amazon but they are oem. I live close to 2 hours south of Indianapolis Hobbytown, but a town north of me has a small hobby shop that I don’t believe sells tekno parts. I’ve always like more technical driving than anything, but I always wanted a Erevo so I got the 2.0, and gave my wife my 2wd slash. I’m not a big fan of the 2wd cars or trucks they bore me 😂. The only good thing about it is it’s stupid fast and always rips the tires right in half. Any of you guys have any good recommendations for good batteries that are cheaper than traxxas? I’m tired of paying $100+ for one battery. Another question is what castle esc and motor combo is a good fit, I wanna make it race ready but I don’t wanna just throw anything in it like my other vehicles, I’ve heard sidewinder sometimes can melt down.
Sorry meant to say for the Tekin motor not tekno motor.

Last edited:
You guys all make really good points! I actually have been upgrading my cart as I see something els I would want, you guys have talked me into the tekno, but now I’m really leaning away from hobbywing, I know tekno has the best out there I just can’t see myself paying for for the esc/motor combo then I do the car lol. I live in Indiana so a lot of my parts come from Hobbytown and occasionally Amazon but they are oem. I live close to 2 hours south of Indianapolis Hobbytown, but a town north of me has a small hobby shop that I don’t believe sells tekno parts. I’ve always like more technical driving than anything, but I always wanted a Erevo so I got the 2.0, and gave my wife my 2wd slash. I’m not a big fan of the 2wd cars or trucks they bore me 😂. The only good thing about it is it’s stupid fast and always rips the tires right in half. Any of you guys have any good recommendations for good batteries that are cheaper than traxxas? I’m tired of paying $100+ for one battery. Another question is what castle esc and motor combo is a good fit, I wanna make it race ready but I don’t wanna just throw anything in it like my other vehicles, I’ve heard sidewinder sometimes can melt down.
If your using traxxas batteries then yea they not the best batteries and they are way over priced for what they are. I recommend looking at CHNL, SMC, Lipherior. I think gensacearespammers is another good brand. Castle combos, not sure about castle but the SW4, copperhead 10, Mamba X are all good combos. If you want to go with Hobbywing for the slash then the max10 sct (120a sensorless) or the max10 G2 (140a sensored) are good combos. I have the max10 sct 120a 4000kv combo in my slash. its a good system. ESC and motor stays cool even with using the included 20t pinion.
For batteries go to @Greywolf74 he does all of our battery testing :D

Last edited:

Hobby Wing 38010203 Max10 ESC, with 3652SL Brushless Motor - Combo (3300Kv)​

Hey WF... putting this in.