XRAY vs TEKNO vs Team AE SCT

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druskee33

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Looking for advice from 1/10 SCT experts and racers...

I'm sick of not being able to get parts for my old sc10 and losi XXX sct and am ready to go all in on a brand new setup.

We race 2wd brushless 1/10 SCT's on a small 8-9 second lap backyard track mostly dirt/clay that only has two jumps and 3 berms but it's a blast to drive.

I'm looking for something durable with lots of tuning options. Also I need something that I can get replacement/aftermarket parts easily available that I won't have to wait a week or two to get shipped to my house.

I've been leaning towards the Team Associated sc10 6.4 but also saw the XRAY Scx23 and that looks amazing but I would rather wait to see if they come out with a 2024 version?

My other option was to get the new
PXL_20231123_234824937.jpg
TEKNO 4x4 sct and run it in 2wd because I've read that a lot of people like doing that.

Any info is appreciated I'm just looking for what would be the best balance for performance/durability/parts availability.

Thanks again.. I'll try to post a pic of my track to give y'all an idea.
More pics.
PXL_20231124_051146368.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20231124_051138582.jpg
    PXL_20231124_051138582.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 20
I got a sct. Slash 2wd. Trying to race it as you seen in my build thread, and other threads. 2wd SCT is not popular in my area, mostly 4wd SCTs, but I should be able to run with the 4wd's if I wanted too. Its a slash, I have issues with it, lately it has been super durable which is surprising to see. I am racing on a mix of indoor carpet and indoor clay. Its been mostly clay for me as the carpet track closed up. Mainly I been just racing my 4wd Buggy as thats more popular and more better for me atleast.

My slash build thread: https://www.rctalk.com/forum/threads/my-slash-2wd-build-2-0.136847/

Where are you located? Any local hobby shop/s? If so what brand/s do they stock? - I go by this.
Over here on the east coast, my local hobby shop (which has the clay track) stocks everything so choosing a brand is a wide variety.

Associated is here in the US, parts will be relatively cheaper than XRAY which XRAY is more higher end, more pricey, and out overseas somewhere in Germany I think.
Now with Tekno, yes it is 4wd, I seen 2wd and 4wd mixed together aswell. Sometimes as SCT, ST and Mini Truggy are classes with fewer people, sometimes my local track likes to combine classes as seen here. A few Truggies with a Slash ultimate:

Can't go wrong with any brand. I just follow / get what the locals use or recommends.
But this is like a smaller backyard kind of club? Racing for fun? Rubbing is racing kind of thing? Bring what you brung?
If you do want to try out 4wd, the new Tekno SCT410 2.0 is a beast, or the SL version. The new 2.0 being more for heavy duty. bigger tracks, ect. The SL is based off of their other 10th scale kits and meant for smaller 10th scale tracks.
If your on a budget, Slash Ultimate,/Regular slash Associated SC10 Pro4/2.
I was looking at older Losi / TLR SCTE rollers on eBay, yes they can make a fun project / car, but replacement parts are gonna be pretty hard to find as that platform is long discontinued.

I also raced my slash 2wd on carpet, mixed class with a Truggy, tekno 4x4 sct, and my slash 2wd:
And I also raced it in a Mod SCT class with both 2wd and 4wd slashes, and other cars:
@bill_delong is our high end race guy on here

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. This is for fun backyard racing but I have a laptimer and ever since then we are battling it out for best laptime.

I'm at the border of il/Wisconsin but live closer to Chicago. Local rc shop has a lot of Armaa and Traxxas parts but not huge with team associated.

We have a lot of slash 2wd cars that race here and I think they are great but I'm looking to go all out on a super nice build so I can smoke the competition.

Looking to spend about 1000-1200$ as my budget so I want the best I can get.

Looking to spend about 1000-1200$ as my budget so I want the best I can get.
Thats ideally how much I spent on my 4wd Buggy (B74.1D) including all the electronics, some spare parts, and the kit price. For that budget id go straight for a Tekno if I were me, but its all up to you.

SC6.4 is 400 bucks
SCX23 is 425 bucks
SCT410 2.0 is 470 bucks
SCT410 SL is 450 bucks

Id go for the 4wd as its going to be more forgiving / easier to drive. Comparing my lap times and driving on my 2wd compared by just watching that slash ultimate in my first video, I think the ultimate is faster and has more grip in the turns so you don't have to slow down and turn slowly with me with my 2wd.

I already have a slash ultimate 4x4 I use but it's my buddy's. I have best time of 8.5s with the 4x4 and just last night I hit 8.71 with my cousins 2wd slash so yes the 4x4 is faster and more forgiving but I like the lightness of the 2wd and less parts that can break.

I have to look into converting the 4x4 TEKNO to 2wd and see how easily I can go from one to the other. This is the main reason why I was leaning towards the team Associated because it's a 2wd design but I haven't had a tekno car yet and always hear great things about them..

I already have a slash ultimate 4x4 I use but it's my buddy's. I have best time of 8.5s with the 4x4 and just last night I hit 8.71 with my cousins 2wd slash so yes the 4x4 is faster and more forgiving but I like the lightness of the 2wd and less parts that can break.

I have to look into converting the 4x4 TEKNO to 2wd and see how easily I can go from one to the other. This is the main reason why I was leaning towards the team Associated because it's a 2wd design but I haven't had a tekno car yet and always hear great things about them..
Ah converting it to 2wd, that would be an interesting project.
Mostly I seen people convert Awd to 2wd for touring cars / drift cars.
Also seen the arrma 4x2 lineup which has a 4wd upgrade kit

If you're gonna be running with anyone else who has a 4WD then you'll be taking a knife to a gun fight with any 2WD against any 4WD.

It's a no brainer to get the TEKNO SCT410 2.0 with the condition that it's open mod... if you have to run a spec motor (normally 13.5 for 2WD SC) then all the extra weight of the 4WD will have the opposite effect and you don't want to run 4WD with a 13.5T limit.

I would go with AE for the 2WD SC with a 13.5T limit because they have a solid track record of parts support, XRay is notorious for always being out of stock for key parts :(

Yeah I am really leaning towards the team associated now to be honest. Amain hobbies has a 10 percent off deal until Sunday so I think I'm going to pick the kit up.

Any recommendations on a great brushless servo that's waterproof and super durable?

I’ve thought about adding a 2wd sct to the collection next year. It would either be the AE or tekno 410SL converted to 2wd. I already have a 410SL so they could share parts. And I’m interested in seeing how it would do with the lighter front end.

I really don't like the fact that the team associated doesn't come with a body that's one downside in finding to the 6.4. Still on the fence because I eventually want to get a 4x4 of my own and if I did the same as you thwn parts would be interchangeable

If it’s a fun backyard track I’m guessing two things will apply: it’s not a sealed and sugar-coated track with enormous grip, and you don’t brush and vacuum clean it before every session.

Because of the dirt I’d consider a truck that has a protected drivetrain, not the exposed pinion and spur gear as is so common today. Also, a rear motor truck might be competitive on a track like that.

If you want to build the truck from a kit, you could buy a super-cheap DR10 kit and get the wheels, longer arms, etc. separately. They are very durable with good parts support and a wide selection of upgrade parts available.

If building the thing isn’t a must, the Pro2 SC10 could serve you well. You will want to replace the radio and electronics, and shocks with something else.

Another RTR that is secretly a capable race truck is the Losi Tenacious TT Pro. It’s 4WD and probably a better candidate for a 2WD conversion than the fore-heavy Tekno.

Last edited:
Team Associated should have came out with a Pro2 SC10 kit, but they left the ball drop.
If everyone else is running 2wd SCTs...
1700912060449.png

Build up a new Pro2 SC10 slider that can be found on eBay. Upgrade as you go.

I'm kind of getting away from 2wd SCT, but if I were club racing/backyard brawling, and wanting a kit... PR Racing SC201 kit.
1700913026151.png

Living on the edge parts support? Really only one place to order from, and probably why everyone skips over the brand.
Thats ideally how much I spent on my 4wd Buggy (B74.1D) including all the electronics, some spare parts, and the kit price. For that budget id go straight for a Tekno if I were me, but its all up to you.

SC6.4 is 400 bucks
SCX23 is 425 bucks
SCT410 2.0 is 470 bucks
SCT410 SL is 450 bucks

Id go for the 4wd as its going to be more forgiving / easier to drive. Comparing my lap times and driving on my 2wd compared by just watching that slash ultimate in my first video, I think the ultimate is faster and has more grip in the turns so you don't have to slow down and turn slowly with me with my 2wd.
At the moment:
SCT410 2.0 is $413.39 (shipped)
SCT410SL is $395.99 (shipped)

The Tekno SCT410SL would probably be the easiest to covert/make into a 2wd SCT. I wouldn't do it, but it's been done. Before the Tekno SCT410SL came out, ProStar made a SCT conversion kit for the ET410, and a person could choose to run it 2wd, or 4wd. If looser terrain is your thing, add some weight to the rear, and let 'er rip. The ET410 and SCT410SL are said to be "fragile" by some... run both rear braces and they are pretty darn tough. I've be hitting jumps wrong; landing on roof; lawndartin', and cartwheeling like mofo. I'm glad to have the SL to get my short course kicks on.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone. The track isn't sealed but I do spend 30-45 mins before we race to blow the track off with a leaf blower. When conditions start getting too loose and dry, we soak the track with a water hose until we are satisfied so the grip comes and goes. My main concern is parts availability I suppose because I'm frustrated with my two older RC cars that can't get parts for anymore that's why I'm looking to get something fresh but I want to be a step above your standard slash or a rtr kit.

I always feel like the cars are too rear heavy with the motor sitting behind the shocks and figured that the team Associated design would help center the weight.

I'm still on the fence about either getting the 6.4 or converting a 4wd to a 2wd.

Have to make a decision by tomorrow though to get the 10% off so I'm open to opinions

Thanks again.

I'm still on the fence about either getting the 6.4 or converting a 4wd to a 2wd.

I just saw a post on rctech for a Tekno SCT410.3 slider with ESC/motor for $475. If I didn't already have one I'd be looking at it.

I feel like if I go tekno I'd benefit from the SL version to reduce some of that front weight.

Thanks for the replies everyone. The track isn't sealed but I do spend 30-45 mins before we race to blow the track off with a leaf blower. When conditions start getting too loose and dry, we soak the track with a water hose until we are satisfied so the grip comes and goes. My main concern is parts availability I suppose because I'm frustrated with my two older RC cars that can't get parts for anymore that's why I'm looking to get something fresh but I want to be a step above your standard slash or a rtr kit.

I always feel like the cars are too rear heavy with the motor sitting behind the shocks and figured that the team Associated design would help center the weight.

Have to make a decision by tomorrow though to get the 10% off so I'm open to opinions

Thanks again.
Sounds like you can disregard the gear covers and don’t need a rear motor truck to get the vehicle to accelerate.

Rear motors are less of a problem with SCTs because they are overall heavier i.e. the weight bias isn’t that much in the rear compared to vintage buggies… but mid-motor is probably the way to go and the 6.4 is something I’d lean towards in the situation you describe.

Also we run mesh covers on almost all our rcs to help protect the components from getting caked with dust or dirt so it shouldn't be too much of an issue with open gearing as long as it's a mid chassis motor.

Get the new Team Associated SC6.4. You won't be disappointed.

Back