SchrodeMode's Mini 8ight

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SchrodeMode

Hardcore RCTalk User
Active Military
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Some of you already know this, but thanks to @tmaxxfreek I'm the new owner of a Mini 8ight. This is my first mini, buggy as well as my first time running lipos. I've never had a RC get taken out by tiny pine cones before. I already have a few ideas for it, but I do have a few questions.
Here's my list of upgrades:
- RPM Arms
- TBR bumpers
- New body, I'll get a stock one but I'm thinking about getting a rally and a truggy body
- Shock towers, Losi carbon fiber or the Delrin ones with the protective lip?
- Shock rebuild, what oil weight and spring? I'm a basher and plan on jumping it.

Here are the bodies that I'm looking at.

Rally
3.jpg

Truggy
Phat_logo.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hahaha!! That rally body Is sick!!!

Sent from my Pipboy-3000

I just had it out and I snapped a front arm, I had my ramps out but I didn't even do it from a jump.....damn light pole jumped out just enough to clip my front left tire. RPM arms are ordered, along with a few other parts (one of which is currently glued together). I did get to bring it out yesterday, I ran it on some of the hills at Dover Castle. Here's a shot from the top of the castle
1004024_10151553795898192_1309533115_n.jpg

Last edited:
I just had it out and I snapped a front arm, I had my ramps out but I didn't even do it from a jump.....damn light pole jumped out just enough to clip my front left tire. RPM arms are ordered, along with a few other parts (one of which is currently glued together). I did get to bring it out yesterday, I ran it on some of the hills at Dover Castle. Here's a shot from the top of the castle
1004024_10151553795898192_1309533115_n.jpg

Wow that's friggin gorgeous! Lucky you for having such a nice bash spot. Oh and good luck with the new rig.

If you're going to be jumping, get the delrin towers. The carbon fiber are too fragile for that IMO. I've broken them on my RC-18t doing that.

I ran this little guy today, it was getting beat up like crazy (lots of rocks in the dirt). It did pretty good considering it's size (most of the rocks were the size of the tires), I was running on bald tires, and the fact that the front left arm was held together with zip ties that I had to keep replacing as they would get broken off....and the fact that it ended up under a Baja.

I just put the RPM arms on it, that was the fastest I've ever received a package here, it only took 4 days from placing my order. Anyone know what the little grub screws in the arms are for?

I stripped the spur gear (60t) that was on it and I noticed that the pinion (16t) was pretty torn up. I didn't have another 16t pinion so I had to use a 20t, being as the M8 is running the traxxas motor, there is no room for adjustment so I had to drop the spur gear to a 58t. The speed was pretty good and it would still launch itself on to it's lid, it ended up going into thermal mode after about 8 minutes of running it, lots of on/off throttle and donuts/drifting. I am switching it over to the Traxxas mini's spur gears, it should allow me more options to play with the gearing. I also ordered front and rear bumpers from T-Bone Racing, hopefully everything will get here this week and I can bring this and run it at the on-road track this weekend.

I'm pretty sure I killed the motor in the M8. I was jumping it yesterday and was getting some pretty good airtime, I was clearing 6-6.5' high and about 15-20' in length (not bad for a 11.5" buggy). I got 2 packs through it on the ramps, and then it started making a pretty bad sound and wouldn't move after a jump. I thought the motor had shifted and was binding on the spur gear, it's done this a few times before (the longer Traxxas motor get's tweaked in crashed), but when I went to push the motor I burned my finger. I didn't get a temp reading but I'm pretty sure it was up there, I guess I'll get a new motor and actually run the Traxxas esc this time (the little Losi esc was struggling with the bigger motor).

Sounds like a fun day of bashing. I'm thinking about upgrading the old RC-18T to a new Mamba Micro Pro and 4-pole 8000 kV motor combo. It should really perk the little monster up on 2s.

Sounds like a fun day of bashing. I'm thinking about upgrading the old RC-18T to a new Mamba Micro Pro and 4-pole 8000 kV motor combo. It should really perk the little monster up on 2s.

Yeah, I've been looking at the Castle setups....it'll depend on what I can find a better deal on. Right now I'm working on my daughter's truck, I have to have it ready by the 28th. I got the RPM arms today, so it only needs an ESC and motor. I'm working on getting a XL-5 system from a guy on another forum, I really like the "training mode" on the Traxxas ESCs.

Alright guys, what power plant should I go with? Should I look at the Castle set ups, or just get the 1/16 VXL system?

I'm leaning towards the VXL because of it being waterproof plus I won't be using the Castle's full capabilities, I can't use the Castle link w/my Mac. I will be mostly bashing off-road, going to skate parks and using my ramps. I may take it to the on-road track every now and then, just for fun though. One of the downsides of the VXL is the fact that the motor can shift, it's almost as if the motor is too long and can get tweaked so that the gears are angled (if that makes sense).

Man that thing is bitchin! can't wait to see her covered in anti-rolex material (dirt). Dirt to Rolex is like kryptonite to superman. And water is my kryptonite :hehe:

The MMP, IMO, is a bit better because it can dissipate heat better because of the heat sink.

Is 8200kv too high for bashing? It looks like the only other in stock option would be 4100kv.

Okay, I found a 5300kv system and it's only $2 more than the VXL. I'm waiting to hear back from a guy on another forum, he's run the VXL and both the 4100 & 5300kv Mamba Micros. The last I read from him, he was having some cogging issues with the 5300.

The 8200 should be fine as it's a 4-pole so it has plenty of torque. I run the older 6800kV and had plenty of power on 2s. The 8200kV set up is what I'm looking at for both of my RC-18s.

Back