SchrodeMode's Mini 8ight

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 8200 should be fine as it's a 4-pole so it has plenty of torque. I run the older 6800kV and had plenty of power on 2s. The 8200kV set up is what I'm looking at for both of my RC-18s.

Do you think the 5300 would be a good medium, or just jump in with the 8200? The VXL I had would get pretty warm when I ran it, could that be from the Losi ESC not being powerful enough for it?

It's possible. Remember that these are 4-pole motors that tend to have more torque than the older 2-pole models like the VXL.

It's possible. Remember that these are 4-pole motors that tend to have more torque than the older 2-pole models like the VXL.

We'll find out, I just ordered it yesterday. Hopefully I'll have it by next weekend.

Keep us informed. I am curious how much torque that monster has.

My MMP system finally arrived, and guess who forgot to order connectors for the battery wires.....this guy. Hopefully Snetterton has some and I can get it running this weekend, I'm also going to have to find some pinion gears for the smaller motor shaft.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Well my LHS didn't have any connectors or pinions :angry: I guess it's time to place another ebay order, hopefully it doesn't take too long to get here. Here are a few pics from when I thought I was going to be working on it.

20130817_133039_zps17220b8b.gif

20130817_133212_zpsde378c39.gif

20130817_133317_zps9f9e589f.gif

20130817_133331_zps64fff5a3.gif

20130817_133407_zps430a953a.gif

What motor and ESC is that older combo?

Does the smaller motor (MMP) make more power than its larger counterpart?

I'm very interested in your build I just bought a MERV for a b-day present to m'self.....and I'm already wondering if and when I can change my set up as well.
Please keep us posted.

That's the stock M8 ESC with a VXL motor (same as your MERV). I haven't been able to run it yet but I'm pretty sure it's too small for the MERV.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Well, it looks like I'm adding a second M8 to my collection. The new one will be my "on-road" one, it'll (hopefully) be getting a car body like the one on the first page. My current one will be my basher and will more than likely get a new mini VXL system in it.

It's gonna be sick with the rally body!

It's gonna be sick with the rally body!

Yeah, it'll probably be a while though. I really need to focus on nursing my collection back to health, I think my Daughter's Monster Mutt may be the only one RTR right now. I've been so busy lately, I haven't felt like doing too much with them. From the looks of the headlines lately, things may start getting even crazier though.

So are the Russians.

I was just getting my hair cut and Syria came up, along with all the atrocities that anyone in the barber shop remembered reading about....I was shocked as well as totally lost, I really don't watch enough news I guess, unless its about hockey, baseball, or volleyball.
The barber had the worst stories since he was middle eastern.

I got the MMP hooked up the other day and tested it out, it's doing pretty good heat wise on 2s. The motor was around 120ish and the ESC was around 110ish, this was on road with no body. It's geared a little higher than stock now that I'm running the MERV spur/slipper, stock gearing is 16/58 and I'm running 16/55. I'll be getting some more pinions to play around with, I think this system will be fine for my on-road M8 but may be a little too high of a kv for off-road bashing. I don't think I did too bad for my first soldering job, now I just need to get some new connectors and shorten the wires to make it nice and clean.

20130902_154603_zps07a5687b.gif

20130902_154426_zpsc274696d.gif

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the little grub screws on the arms are for?

Those are used to set your "droop" in the suspension :D

I guess I have extra droop now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Ran it at a road track the other day, I had normal TC tires on and it did okay. I had found some "junk" foamies that were left in the pits and I decided to try them, they really woke it up. I also found out that I should be able to add a tooth or two to the pinion, after a few laps my temps were about 115 on the motor and 105 on the ESC.

I had ordered T-Bone bumpers, but they sent me the wrong ones and I'm waiting on the replacements.

20130923_103825_zps79396e63.gif

20130923_103707_zpsb8b528b9.gif

Back