Savage XL should I buy?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonsterCowpower

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I have a small dilema today, my local hobby shop has two HPI Savage XL's in stock.

I saw that truck last Saturday,it looks to be a larger version of the popular Savage.Bigger engine and elongated chassis as well as some beefed up parts.

Question is what is...is this truck worth the price $720 Canadian dollars? From reviews it sounds like a great buy.

Buy or pass...

Help this RC deprived maniac make a decision...

I'd hold out for the new E-Savage.

Well you could wait for the new Flux E-Savage but (sorry i dont know canadian money) It's going to be like 660.00 then you need 3S Lipos x2 just to run it. Those are about 180.00each so right there just to run the truck you are at about 1000.00. To answer your question tho bud, I have owned both the X and XL. You wont hate either. Is the part there worth the money? ehh not really. You could get an X but a FLM chassis(also allows a 250cc mid tank) buy a 3speed off ebay cheap. and pretty much have an XL. Motor wise i have found it lacks top end over the 4.6. Oh and the upgraded SF-5 servo does have plastic in it, mostly metal but a guy i bash with stripped his SF-5.

Thanks for the speedy answers...

Savage XL...it has my name on it. I doubt I can resist the call.

I was joking when I said RC deprived... six RC trucks in the last three weeks alone! ;) This madness may never end.

The brushless Savage,nah I prefer nitro,my E-Revo brushless is on order(Mamba Maxx power yeah baby).

Pics tonight when I get the baby home,along with some other new toys.

Savage XL - an excellent buy! Just get it - you won't regret it :)

haha I'm rocking:
Savage XL
Hellfire
RS4
ArtAttack Snow Mobile
CP Blade +
D8 or Baja (Hopefully)

My Wifey is rocking:
Savage 25(soon to be converted to XL)
Hellfire
RS4
MT2 g3.0(with a .21BB in it)

So I think I have a problem too :hehe:

top end power on the xl can be improved a lot buy up grading the stock pipe.the sock pipe does not supply enough pressure for good top end. i put a cen genisis stock pipe, runs much better, it will also let you lean it out more, while running at cooler temps.

Pics tomorrow,left work late...hobby shops should be open 24/7 :hehe:

Savage XL it will be. The brushless Savage...when it comes out and my hobby shop gets one. :whhooo:

Thanks for the speedy answers...

Savage XL...it has my name on it. I doubt I can resist the call.

I was joking when I said RC deprived... six RC trucks in the last three weeks alone! ;) This madness may never end.

The brushless Savage,nah I prefer nitro,my E-Revo brushless is on order(Mamba Maxx power yeah baby).

Pics tonight when I get the baby home,along with some other new toys.

once u feel the brushless power everything else will just collect dust

I am with monstercowpower,nothing better than nitro.

One more day,I was at the ER tonight. My left foot is how I should call...in a bad shape. The Savage XL will have to wait a few days. :\

Life throws some odd garbage at people sometimes.