savage finally finished

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig911

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
well my savage is finally completed, ( rolex just a warning the truck is muddy and in need of a clean but dont worry it will be washed saturday

when i first got it the rear end was hanging off and held on by duct tape,
and the skid plates needed replacing same with most of the stuff on the truck,

ok so what have i done to the truck.

#1 changed chassis plates from the old .21 savage to the savage X
#2 upgraded to easy access diff cases & radio box
#3 changed from 14mm hex to 17mm hex using hyper 7 hexes ( needed filling down a little on the back )
#4 got a shell ( one that came with it was in two pieces ) & fitted two 12LED light kits ( one with custom LEDs ) for a total of 24 LEDs
#5 bought savage XL terrapin wheels & tires
#6 got the steel spur, HPI #86808 52T & #77119 49T( running 52 / 17 gearing )
#7 got the plastic roll cage
#8 replaced all 8 leaking shocks with new ones ( stock shocks running fast trax 30 front 50 rear shock oil )
#9 all electronics were replaced

there are other things i have done but can't quite remember right now

i would like to get the 3 speed tranny and savage X skid plates and a centre skid plate but I'm happy with what i got at the moment.

i do plan on replacing my thunder tiger PRO .21 engine with something better soon and tracking down the 29/9T diff set for a reasonable price

i have pretty much rebuilt and brought this truck up to 2012ish spec using ebay as a parts source and buying parts every fortnight ( tight budget ) i know i spent allot but i love the truck and know it inside out.

what upgrades would you guys reccomend more things that are necessary ( IE i have split 3 shocks recently ) looking for things to bring it more up to date ect with the current trucks

images bellow

Great job, congratulation on bring that savage back to life.

Great job, congratulation on bring that savage back to life.

thanks guys a learnt a lot about the savage in the process and i don't understand why my LHS said it was a pain to work on. its by far in my own experience one of the best trucks i have ever worked on and owned out of the various nitros i have owned
( ansmann kryptonite, thunder tiger EB4 S2, kyosho DBX, tomahawk ST, tamiya TGS, in that order)

i just had it out in the rain & hail bashing it ( found out why i split 3 shocks i over filled them fixed that before running today )

i absolutely love the backward/forward compatibility for parts i think that is why i got it and its cheap to repair and easy to maintain and has lots of upgradable parts and tonnes of support for them

i think i will end up keeping and upgrading this truck for the foreseeable future if not indefinitely

Back