Savage XL 5.9 VS Losi LST XXL

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truggy83

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Looking at getting a new monster truck in the future sometime. The bottom line is I want to get one that is huge. The biggest and baddest I can. I want this thing destroy anything that gets in its path. I want it to dwarf my 1/10 scale ruckus and pede in size. Its got to be gigantic. So far I have narrowed it down to the final 2. Losi LST XXL and Savage Xl 5.9. These trucks must be good at going through tall grass, have four wheel drive, be very durable as I will be jumping them and also be easy to work on.

Anyone have the above trucks? What is your opinion. I have heard nothing but great things about the Savage line and how durable they are. Losi has a great reputation too. I really like the telemetry system that comes on the LST XXl that shows your speed and temp in real time on the Spektrum transmitter. Of course you also pay a little extra for having that. Doing a size comparison they both are around the same size with the Savage being slightly a little bit bigger in almost every way but it is not by much.

The LHS doesn't stock much parts for either so that is not a factor as I will have to order everything. (well atleast I didn't see any Losi or HPI parts there but I will ask him the next time I go)

Please help me choose. Also know any websites that don't charge an arm and a leg for one? The LST is almost $700 on there website.

I would recommend the Savage XL 4.6 over the 5.9. The 5.9 from what I've been told by the Savage owners I've talked to say that the 5.9 tends to be a dog and uses more fuel. I would recommend the Savage over the Losi.

My bro has the losi xxl and i have a sav xl which has gone from a nitro x to a brushless XL. He has also done a bl conversion with the dude motor mount. So far i haven't had many probs with my XL nitro stuff on 4s whereas his xxl is eating rear spider gears every few runs. Apparently the xxl still has plastic diff cups but with metal channels for the crosspins.

Either way they're both decent trucks, the xxl's telemetry isn't perfect but nice to have. A temp gun is cheaper lol.

Your two choices wont fail you whichever you pick. Let us know what you do.

Sent from my crappy DROIDX via Tapatalk

Strengthwise, I have heard that you can't get anything stronger than a Savage XL. I am a Traxxas lover and I am saying that, so that is telling you something!

haha I am a traxxas lover as well. I just wanted to get something other than traxxas for once. I believe the Savage Xl has metal gears too so they should last awhile. I believe I am going to go with the Savage XL at the moment. The only selling point for me on the LST was the telemetry which if I think about it I probably wouldn't use as much as I think I would and the extra cost for it is a little steep. Any ideas what the cheapest place to get a Savage Xl would be?

Hamz do they make a 4.6 powered XL? All I see is the Savage 4.6 X which is dwarfed in size by the XL 5.9 which is why I want it :hehe:

I have the XL

I have the XL and its been great. I had a small problem with the engine(it was missing an o ring on the hsn) so it was running lean. Sent back to hpi with no questions asked and fixed it right the first time. I must admit that if you follow the break in by hpi you should be trouble free. The roto start bolts came loose due to me not checking them for loctite and the radio works great but seems chincy.

I have the XL and its been great. I had a small problem with the engine(it was missing an o ring on the hsn) so it was running lean. Sent back to hpi with no questions asked and fixed it right the first time. I must admit that if you follow the break in by hpi you should be trouble free. The roto start bolts came loose due to me not checking them for loctite and the radio works great but seems chincy.

Thats great to hear from people that have it. What do you mean the radio seems chincy? Also do you know if the receiver that comes on the Savage Xl 5.9 has a throttle return spring and/or a built in fail safe?

The carb has a return spring on it but I took it off. The stock radio is all made of plastic and just feels cheap. It does have great range though and if you wanted to replace it all you would need is a 2 channel radio but going with a third channel for other cars would not be a bad idea. All in all the truck is very well built. Some people on here would say the stock XL engine is a turd but so far It's been good to me. One advantage of the savage lineup is everything is steel on the driveline whereas a Tmaxx is plastic.

I have a Revo and wanted something different and bought a Losi XXl, i had it about a month and sold it, i never really enjoyed it, it was cool and alot different then the Revo but i just did not enjoy it for some reason. Now i am going to buy a Savage for something new.

some rigs just wont fit some peoples driving and bashing style.... I have heard alot of people say the xl 5.9 engine isnt a turd they just had a lot of problems with them.... I havent tied one of my own at all so I can't comment on that part.. the plastic on the maxx is kinda what keaps the price down alittlebit....

Back