Losi lst Electric conversion

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shafferboy207

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hey guys I have a losi lst 1/8 monster truck and I want to convert it to electric. I don’t know the first place to start. I’m looking for someone to pretty much tell me what all I need. I really don’t know anything about the electric side of r/c.

Fairly straightforward, you need a motor mount, battery tray and place to mount the ESC either on the chassis or an ESC mount integrated into the battery tray which I've seen on some brands of buggies, here's a conversion I did for the Hong Nor Ravager many years ago:

https://www.rctalk.com/forum/thread...a-ravager-to-monster-truck-conversion.136982/

Something like this here is all the parts you need to source:
https://www.losi.com/product/lst-electric-conversion-kit/LOSB0017.html

Aftermarket kit here:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/233983002524

What size ESC
What size motor
What size and kind of battery
Looking for a set up somebody has tried and tested to be good

Lots of options out there, but if I were to do a 1/8 MT conversion for myself today, these are the electronics that I would buy to keep costs to a minimum:

Motor: GoolRC 4076 2000KV
ESC: Keenso 150A (HobbyWing Knock Off)
Battery: Zeee 4S-50C-5.2Ah

If you want to go high quality then go with the same specs with any of the following brands: Trinity, Tekin or HobbyWing

Generally I start with 16T pinion for most 1/8 cars I race, but use the following guide here to play is safe:

Lots of options out there, but if I were to do a 1/8 MT conversion for myself today, these are the electronics that I would buy to keep costs to a minimum:

If you want to go high quality then go with the same specs with any of the following brands: Trinity, Tekin or HobbyWing

Generally I start with 16T pinion for most 1/8 cars I race, but use the following guide here to play is safe:
Awesome thank you for you time this is very helpful!

Awesome thank you for you time this is very helpful!
I would first convert it to an LST2 before you convert to electric. you're also going to need a single speed spur conversion as well (the ebay aftermarket kit has one included in it but the Losi brand conversion kit does not. Also depending on what electronics you put in it you may have to upgrade some stuff. If you go with a 4S lipo as Bill suggests then you may or may not have the failures that I had running it on 6S. On 6S you will for sure need to upgrade diff housings to either heavy duty Losi brand housings or after market aluminum housings. You'll also need to upgrade the CVDs to something stronger than the stock ones. Good luck finding them now. The LSTs are old and after market part support is drying up. The LST/LST2 needs aluminum c hubs and titanium links on the front also. The c hubs and the front linkages were weak spot even before converting to electric.

I would first convert it to an LST2 before you convert to electric. you're also going to need a single speed spur conversion as well (the ebay aftermarket kit has one included in it but the Losi brand conversion kit does not. Also depending on what electronics you put in it you may have to upgrade some stuff. If you go with a 4S lipo as Bill suggests then you may or may not have the failures that I had running it on 6S. On 6S you will for sure need to upgrade diff housings to either heavy duty Losi brand housings or after market aluminum housings. You'll also need to upgrade the CVDs to something stronger than the stock ones. Good luck finding them now. The LSTs are old and after market part support is drying up. The LST/LST2 needs aluminum c hubs and titanium links on the front also. The c hubs and the front linkages were weak spot even before converting to electric.
6AF70ADD-415F-4F5A-B6E7-7094766026D7.jpeg

I guess I don’t know the difference between the LST and the LST2. I Already have the heavy duty differentials and titanium axles. I tried to beef one up with aluminum over the years

Is this something I need
https://www.amazon.com/Team-Losi-He...d=1673316527&sprefix=losi+lst,aps,121&sr=8-20

Last edited:

That looks like it may work, the ebay link I provided above looks like it will be more universal, not sure if the mount you linked will fit a 40mm can or a 36mm can, you might want to contact the vendor to make sure what size motor it will fit... there are 3674 cans available that can power a 1/8 MT and based on what Greywolf74 was saying, I'm starting to think that the 3674 can might be more suitable perhaps. I don't have any personal experience with the LST, I just provided information that worked on my 1/8 MT conversion and those electronics are fairly standard for today.

View attachment 158154
I guess I don’t know the difference between the LST and the LST2. I Already have the heavy duty differentials and titanium axles. I tried to beef one up with aluminum over the years

Is this something I need
https://www.amazon.com/Team-Losi-Heat-Motor-Mount/dp/B0775V7SH4/ref=mp_s_a_1_20?crid=138G4E6C7K71F&keywords=losi+lst&qid=1673316527&sprefix=losi+lst,aps,121&sr=8-20
The biggest differences are from the a-arms out. Chassis and suspension basically the same. Whether you convert them to LST2s or not I would not use that motor mount you linked. Its the same one I have and I hate it. I second Bills recommendation of the ebay kit. If I was doing the conversion over again, thats what Id use. In fact I may end up buying a motor mount like that for mine and changing mine out.

Sometimes you are better of buying an already converted one and then keep the nitro as a parts car

Yes keeping both is ideal, but my guess is once you have a lipo version you hardly go back to driving nitro for that same car

I have 2 LST trucks that are nitro and a third LST I’m building to be Electric. I love the Nitro side everything is simple and makes sense to me. Electric on the other hand is all new and I have zero understanding of it.
Hoping electrical will turns these big tires easier

Attachments

• CE938087-94DC-4222-A420-E1365D61D609.jpeg
    CE938087-94DC-4222-A420-E1365D61D609.jpeg
    440.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 4E88C4EE-992E-4170-8181-C95791924C45.jpeg
    4E88C4EE-992E-4170-8181-C95791924C45.jpeg
    314.5 KB · Views: 29
On a race track, lap times for electric classes tend to be a pinch faster than nitro where electrics are a little more "snappy" with faster acceleration and sometimes even faster top speed. Many nitro drivers prefer to run nitro because the acceleration is slower and more forgiving making nitro a little easier to drive with the expense of slower lap times.

Back