Savage x4.6 steering problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zanelewis

RC Newbie
Reaction score
What’s wrong with my steering? The steering works perfectly when off the ground, but when it’s on the ground it doesn’t look to good.

What’s wrong with my steering? The steering works perfectly when off the ground, but when it’s on the ground it doesn’t look to good.

That may have an adjustable servo saver that is spring loaded ,if so ,it may have loosened up an needs to
be tighten!
Check in on the steering rack an see if there is a finger nut adjuster!

That may have an adjustable servo saver that is spring loaded ,if so ,it may have loosened up an needs to
be tighten!
Check in on the steering rack an see if there is a finger nut adjuster!
Where would the steering rack be? I’m new to this

Where would the steering rack be? I’m new to this

It is what the tie rod ends hook to that are coming off the wheel hubs ,some racks are spring loaded to releive
the pressure off the servo ,but like Rolex said as well ,it could be a under power stock steering servo ,most people
usually upgrade to a more powerful servo!
You are also trying to steer the truck while sitting still ,the steering is easier when the truck is in motion!

It is what the tie rod ends hook to that are coming off the wheel hubs ,some racks are spring loaded to releive
the pressure off the servo ,but like Rolex said as well ,it could be a under power stock steering servo ,most people
You are also trying to steer the truck while sitting still ,the steering is easier when the truck is in motion!
I don’t think it’s the servo if I hold down on the front wheels and with my other hand turn the dial it responds. No matter what pressure I have on the front tires the servo will steer. I just don’t know where to look for for the linkage and all that I’m new to this

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 96
Could this be the problem this screw looks loose

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 115
You will have to figure it out ,try holding a wheel while looking underneath inside an see if there is any slop movement ,
I went back to the vid an listen to it ,an I can here the servo move ,an then a delayed reaction of the wheels moving ,
that tells me that there is some excessive slop in the linkage of the steering!

You will have to figure it out ,try holding a wheel while looking underneath inside an see if there is any slop movement ,
I went back to the vid an listen to it ,an I can here the servo move ,an then a delayed reaction of the wheels moving ,
that tells me that there is some excessive slop in the linkage of the steering!
I think this is it looks really loose

I think this is it looks really loose

Yea ,something is definitely loose ,but I am not sure what ,I don't have a clue what it is because I don't own the HPI Savage model ,
someone else would have to explain what actually could be loose!

I barely heard what it was doing on the first vid ,as my PC speakers isnt that loud ,an now on this vid ,the whole steering rack
looks like it is just flopping around ,an not secured!,,,,,:thumbs-up:

Yea ,something is definitely loose ,but I am not sure what ,I don't have a clue what it is because I don't own the HPI Savage model ,
someone else would have to explain what actually could be loose!

I barely heard what it was doing on the first vid ,as my PC speakers isnt that loud ,an now on this vid ,the whole steering rack
looks like it is just flopping around ,an not secured!,,,,,:thumbs-up:
Yeah sounds like something like that but I’m going to take another video and see what some other people might say.

Yeah sounds like something like that but I’m going to take another video and see what some other people might say.

There is two main steering post that goes from the top plate or mount to the bottom mount ,in which there should
be bushings or bearings ,either those wore out ,or the mount or plate has came loose!

There is two main steering post that goes from the top plate or mount to the bottom mount ,in which there should
be bushings or bearings ,either those wore out ,or the mount or plate has came loose!
Yeah, you can see the entire post wobbling around in there. The screws for the top are in the bottom of the receiver box. A lot of people replace the bushings in those posts with bearings. I think they were 6x10mm bearings. I did that on both my savage's.

2019-0904-SavageSteeringRack-manual.jpg