Rusty Electric Conversion help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I'm in the process of trying to convert one of my nitro Rustys to electric but I've hit a little bit of a snag. So what I ended up doing was buying the VXL transmission and installing it on my nitro chassis flipped around so it creates a mid motor type design. This is not only my first electric but my first mod as well so I have a couple of questions. I ended up cutting a couple of spacers to install under the transmission so it would sit flat since there is a lip on the back end of the tansmission. the problem I'm seeing now that someone pointed it out to me is that naturally when the transmission is installed in the correct orintation (engine in the rear) the rear arms are actually angled so the front edge of the arm sits higher than the rear edge of the arm. I have no idea on how to keep the transmission in its flipped position yet change the angle of the arms to be at the angle that it would be more in line with the angle the are designed to at. Someone in another forum told me that if I left the angle of the arms reversed then it would create some funky handling characteristics. Would guys agree with that assment and does anyone have any ideas on how to acomplish changing the angle of the arms while keeping the transmission flipped?

Also someone else told me that running the motor in reverse like that wouldnt work very well but I was under the impression that a sensorless, brushless motor could be run in either direction and it didnt matter which direction it was running in. Anyone care to support or dispute that?

If anyone would like more detailed info on what I'm doing and what I've done so far with some pictures you can see the whole thread here http://forums.thetoyz.com/index.php?showtopic=48344
Just incase it makes it easier to see what I'm talking about.

Thanks in advance,

wouldnt the motor have alittle less power going in reverse or is that just the esc. that controles that???

Its the ESC that control's it. The speed of the motor turning depends only on the voltage applied, not the direction that the voltage flows.

yeah my esc actually have a reverse running mode so iwould think it wouldnt matter which direction but I'm just learning electrics si IDK

Anyone have any ideas on this? I'm drawing an absolute blank and everyone I think is also.

I'm wondering will having the arms with the opposite than stock angle give it really bad handling characteristics and if so how bad is bad? I might not have a choice but to continue on like that if I can't figure out how to get either a plastic or aluminum shim under the transmission to angle it back the other way.

Back