rustler vxl upgrade

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksrichard

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
i have been wanting to upgrade my rustler vxl "again" i bought a tqi 2.4ghz transmiter and a viper vx4r.45 copperhead brushless system. will this improve speed? what gearing
should i use. starting with 76/25.. shop didnt have larger pinion. be here in a.m.

with a 4 pole 4500kv motor Id probably start out with 76/21 and go from there.

i ordered the 25t pinion because lhs couldnt get any others for 1 week. what speeds am i going expect

Id guess maybe in the 55-65ish MPH range but theres no way to know for sure. I am fairly sure that a 4500kv motor running 76/25 gearing is going to overheat though but not before you get in some nice runs :)

the viper vx4r.45 is a beast in my rustler. i also got a tq1. i can't believe the performance difference.. havent ran 3s yet. can't wait. need to adjust tq1. lag on takeoff?. anyway i trust u guys. u would recommend 76/21? or should i change my spur also? thanks!!!

tapping throttle inside trying to set parimeters and punch controlls it sounded like the motor had harmonics. is this normal with a 4pole?.

My 4 pole motors dont sound any different than my 2 pole motors. As for the pinion if 25 is all you have you can try it out but I'm fairly certain it will end up making the motor run to hot. Just keep an eye on temps and adjust from there. if it gets to hot, then go down a couple of teeth on the pinion and try again. rinse and repeat until you can run it without overheating.

Gear mesh is good. Mabye I'm just hearing Power!! I will gear down. Getn warm after 2 runs 75yrds each. Stil need to set everything on transmiter/receiver, as far as basic settings go anyway. 3s is sick. Thats a lot of motor for a rusty....

Viper system is awesome. Still trying to find a long enough strech for a good speed run. Broke temp gauge in crash. Think i can fix it.. I dont let the motor get so hot i can't hold it a few seconds. I'm almost a little intimidated by it.

Did my first speed test and very disappointed. 36mph.. On 25/76 gearing. I hit 56 on 31/76 with the vxl. Tons of power. I did a good ft pass and it hit top speed fast then stopped climbing! I'm on profile#4. Extreme. Using 4100 3s lipo. Any ideas on what i can do for more speed. I thought that would be pleanty of motor.

Viper is getn warm not overheating. Had dead battery. My bad. Charged slow for 1.45 hours. Reset controller got 50mph in a small run area. Much better. Cut vents in the body temps good. Thats what makes experience. I think i need better tires. Jaco foams mabye. Thanks much ill be in touch with this project..

Back