Rustler VXL-3s speed (upgraded VXL vs stock VXL)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roubo42

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all,

New to the forum, but my 5 and 6 year old boys and I have been thoroughly enjoying ourselves with our new hobby. We each have a rustler now.

Here is my question. I upgraded my sons rustler 4x4 to a VXL-3s and it is obviously much faster than the titan and xl-5 setup he had, but seems less powerful than the stock rustler VXL-3s 4x4 I bought. Can anyone point me towards what I should look for or do? Thanks.

Hello all,

New to the forum, but my 5 and 6 year old boys and I have been thoroughly enjoying ourselves with our new hobby. We each have a rustler now.

Here is my question. I upgraded my sons rustler 4x4 to a VXL-3s and it is obviously much faster than the titan and xl-5 setup he had, but seems less powerful than the stock rustler VXL-3s 4x4 I bought. Can anyone point me towards what I should look for or do? Thanks.
Welcome to the site.
Did you change the gearing? Is the esc both in the same modes? Is a clutch slipping? They have race, sport, and training modes.

Welcome to the site.
Did you change the gearing? Is the esc both in the same modes? Is a clutch slipping? They have race, sport, and training modes.
Thanks for the quick response. No I didn’t change the gearing. Haven’t done that at all yet, so that will be a fun project to tackle just for the experience. But I did check to make sure it wasn’t in training mode, that wasn’t the case unfortunately. Is the gearing different between the stock VXL and non VXl?

11 pinion 54 spur I'd factory 4x4 VXL.
10 pinion 54 spur factory 4x4 titan.

What batteries are you running? Can you swap and see if they reverse speeds?

11 pinion 54 spur I'd factory 4x4 VXL.
10 pinion 54 spur factory 4x4 titan.

What batteries are you running? Can you swap and see if they reverse speeds?
I’ll try changing the pinion then to match. Thanks for the info. And running the same batteries. Traxxas 5000mah 3s are what we are using.
Welcome to the site.
Also, I’m not sure how to tell if the clutch is slipping. Any pointers?

I’ll try changing the pinion then to match. Thanks for the info. And running the same batteries. Traxxas 5000mah 3s are what we are using.

Also, I’m not sure how to tell if the clutch is slipping. Any pointers?

Back