Rustler Addiction- Mid engine and more (lots of pictures)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did. Mr Pickles through a party 3x last week. Jim beam bottles knocked on the floor, my tmaxx and stampedes were relocated, the cat treats were safe, but the catnip was the target.

@JCsRCcar
The Rustler is coming along great. What do you plan on using the K&S tube/rod for?

@JCsRCcar
The Rustler is coming along great. What do you plan on using the K&S tube/rod for?
I planned to use those for custom standoffs for an upper aluminum late. I have several ideas on how to house the battery tray and secure the battery and also provide a foundation for the ESC and receiver box to mount to. I purchased several different size aluminum standoffs and those rods so I have options as it progresses along.

Thank you for the kind words too.

Got the Magnum 272R transmission installed and the original 2WD Rustler that started this all ready for another bash session. I also purchased some Polo Creations lights but they are not compatible with the Magnum transmission mounts so I scrapped that idea.

CC9DEA10-EBB7-4B9E-8275-D8FA4328CE3E.jpeg
089B1BF9-8201-4D3E-B7DE-7963F1CC4C9D.jpeg
F452F2CC-95A1-4E7E-B1C1-8D021333D55A.jpeg

Looks like it's ready to roll. Too bad about the Polo Creations lights, I've got them on my Arrma 6S Typhon and really like them.

Oh, they wont go to waste. They will be used and incorporated into the Nitro/6s electric conversion Rustler.

BTW, for those that may use this thread some day; the shocks and springs are not for a 2WD Rustler, but are actually from my 4x4 Rustler. The front springs on the 4x4 are shorter and have a higher spring rate than a 2WD normally does. The rear springs seem to be stiffer too.

This all started last year when my son wanted to purchase a hobby grade RC car. He saved all his money and purchased a Traxxas Slash and I purchased a bottom of the line XL5 2WD Rustler so he had someone to run with. Well, we couldn't leave things well enough alone or stock and so many modifications later we have built what I call a Frankenstein Bandit/Rustler, a tricked out 4x4 Rustler, an ultimate 2WD Rustler (formerly that XL5 and still under contruction) and now today a Nitro Rustler converted into an electric 6s mid engine monster Rustler. My 11 year old son is having a blast learning how to use his hands and learning about cars in general. Enjoy the pictures.

More to come.

View attachment 142611View attachment 142612View attachment 142613View attachment 142614View attachment 142615View attachment 142616View attachment 142617View attachment 142618View attachment 142619View attachment 142620
More pictures.

View attachment 142621View attachment 142623View attachment 142624View attachment 142625View attachment 142626View attachment 142627View attachment 142628View attachment 142629View attachment 142631
Mad props to you your son will grow up knowing you love him you are very few and far between

Mad props to you your son will grow up knowing you love him you are very few and far between
Thank you. A stable loving nuclear family is so important. The next generation of kids are the ones who will be running our county so we have to keep our country strong by making our children strong. I personally came from a broken family, I basically had nothing, and I lived in the projects. I was the oldest of 5 children and we had absolutely no money or fatherly figure growing up, but my mother sacrificed what she had to make sure we grew up strong. I didn’t get my first RC car until I was a teenager and could make a little money on my own. I don't remeber the model I purchased anymore but it was a basic low end 2WD buggy and I loved that thing as a kid. My son and I do not just do RC stuff either. I have him involved in basketball, football, fishing, and for a little while baseball too. Best part of all is I’m having fun watching him grow up and learn new things, and getting just involved with him. I also make sure he values hard work. He doesn’t just get stuff handed to him a lot of the times. He has to do chores to earn money for more than half the stuff he gets. Of course he’s only 11 years old so I don't make him earn everything but he knows good work ethics now. Currently he‘s saving for a crawler and he's more than half way there. Every snow storm he gets excited because he goes out there and shovels driveways and makes some money. He want’s a TRX4 Land Rover.

Thank you. A stable loving nuclear family is so important. The next generation of kids are the ones who will be running our county so we have to keep our country strong by making our children strong. I personally came from a broken family, I basically had nothing, and I lived in the projects. I was the oldest of 5 children and we had absolutely no money or fatherly figure growing up, but my mother sacrificed what she had to make sure we grew up strong. I didn’t get my first RC car until I was a teenager and could make a little money on my own. I don't remeber the model I purchased anymore but it was a basic low end 2WD buggy and I loved that thing as a kid. My son and I do not just do RC stuff either. I have him involved in basketball, football, fishing, and for a little while baseball too. Best part of all is I’m having fun watching him grow up and learn new things, and getting just involved with him. I also make sure he values hard work. He doesn’t just get stuff handed to him a lot of the times. He has to do chores to earn money for more than half the stuff he gets. Of course he’s only 11 years old so I don't make him earn everything but he knows good work ethics now. Currently he‘s saving for a crawler and he's more than half way there. Every snow storm he gets excited because he goes out there and shovels driveways and makes some money. He want’s a TRX4 Land Rover.
That is awesome man I’m from a broken home both my mom and dad was navy but he was no super man like you and the messed up part was I tried to look up to him in my teen years after mom gave us to him to marry a 24 year old when I was 14 but I would go to the garage to try to hang out and help or whatever and I’d be like Hey man you need some help and he be like I don’t need any help but if you want to do something go cut the grass pfff he just really to this day hates me he knows how to do all kind of stuff he’s not dumb just stupid because we could have done so much but now all my life I had to figure it out or whatever I had to do so now I know how to do most anything I try but am always to humble to tell people no an do things to help but never work out for me because there aren’t anything that anyone I mean if I can’t do it I learn to
That is awesome man I’m from a broken home both my mom and dad was navy but he was no super man like you and the messed up part was I tried to look up to him in my teen years after mom gave us to him to marry a 24 year old when I was 14 but I would go to the garage to try to hang out and help or whatever and I’d be like Hey man you need some help and he be like I don’t need any help but if you want to do something go cut the grass pfff he just really to this day hates me he knows how to do all kind of stuff he’s not dumb just stupid because we could have done so much but now all my life I had to figure it out or whatever I had to do so now I know how to do most anything I try but am always to humble to tell people no an do things to help but never work out for me because there aren’t anything that anyone I mean if I can’t do it I learn to
I wish my life was better butt It gave me hoo I am now and I’ll tell you if I could ever get paid for the things I’ve done in my life I’d be at the beach or the mountains with my lil Mini me blackout rc truck and a trailer full of parts and kits to put together
Well I find it lol the transmitter is fried I don’t know how it worked as long as it did

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

I wish my life was better butt It gave me hoo I am now and I’ll tell you if I could ever get paid for the things I’ve done in my life I’d be at the beach or the mountains with my lil Mini me blackout rc truck and a trailer full of parts and kits to put together
Well I find it lol the transmitter is fried I don’t know how it worked as long as it did
You could probably just buy another receiver and bind it to your transmitter, what transmitter do you have?

1040 brushed I was going a different way anyway I’ll be able to save this for the next project

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 52
1040 brushed I was going a different way anyway I’ll be able to save this for the next project
By transmitter, pug is asking what the radio is (the part you hold in your hand to control the car). You showed and commented on the Hobbywing 1040 ESC (Electronic Speed Control).

The burned out board you showed is the Receiver. Transmitter and Receiver are generally referred to as Tx (Transmitter) and Rx (Receiver).

So what Tx do you have?

By transmitter, pug is asking what the radio is (the part you hold in your hand to control the car). You showed and commented on the Hobbywing 1040 ESC (Electronic Speed Control).

The burned out board you showed is the Receiver. Transmitter and Receiver are generally referred to as Tx (Transmitter) and Rx (Receiver).

So what Tx do you have?

So what Tx do you have?
Yes I know I was up most of the night I got pictures mixed up I was excited to find the real problem and that My electronic speed controller was fine

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 52
Yes I know I was up most of the night I got pictures mixed up I was excited to find the real problem and that My electronic speed controller was fine
I feel ya. Had nights like that where I got busy on something and stayed up til the sun came up. I am way too old for that stuff now, and feel it the next day if I do 😜

I feel ya. Had nights like that where I got busy on something and stayed up til the sun came up. I am way too old for that stuff now, and feel it the next day if I do 😜
Hell I’m 46 and just got put on ssi because I have lung damage
After using a tub of call I was fixing a sub woofer one of the
Mini that has sitting around here

I used to work at a factory that made military trailers and boxes for the back of military trucks. The caulk we used there used to give me lung problems.

We are quite a mess here, is there anyone in this group without health issues? 🤣
I think it's just the norm in the hobby. We're a bunch of old fogies. Goes with the territory. We do have a few talented young folk here though. But we know they all suffer from ADHD and other pharmaceutical selling ailments 😜

After using a tub of call I was fixing a sub woofer one of the
Mini that has sitting around here
I think it's just the norm in the hobby. We're a bunch of old fogies. Goes with the territory. We do have a few talented young folk here though. But we know they all suffer from ADHD and other pharmaceutical selling ailments 😜
Hell I think I got all The abbreviations plus a few letters

I thought I put this up yesterday but I guess I didnt. My son thought it would be nice to attached some 6S stickers to the body of the Nitro Rustler electric conversion.
82D769D6-9428-4400-9DDC-583A36709474.jpeg
4557C1FE-D1A8-45A2-9D61-ABAB85C00256.jpeg

We made some progress this morning before we have to head out for his basketball game. My son made a custom aluminum bracket to connect the rear shock tower to the upper brace. We will do the same for the front shock tower, effectively tying them together. He is learning how to drill and tap and shape aluminum, and he even polished the piece himself.
BA701389-8D3B-4D41-8BB2-01C2A35FD307.jpeg
2E240F9B-4BD4-4C66-A92E-4BDCBD65BE4F.jpeg
1924F2F4-B5BE-4D1B-9E27-C383482F6735.jpeg
7D45B5F7-0C4C-4178-9A83-F0AE101D5F84.jpeg
68DE6FC7-4F26-4D58-B9D0-81E0E2C39443.jpeg
6A5A2446-B80B-4940-A243-5F9C6A6AA752.jpeg
A3390303-7B50-4DE9-A376-204125CB247F.jpeg
30998DEF-0C74-434B-875A-B7778EA98947.jpeg
BD54FDFA-33C7-4A67-B989-0A9045AE48CE.jpeg

The new 6S car is about one and a half pounds heavier than a normal Rustler (a bit over-modified one) as you can see in the pictures.

We also weighed each wheel so we can shift components around and try and get an equal left to right weight balance for the car before we permanently mount anything.
75A71559-1CB9-4ED2-BC70-0603BFEE8B55.jpeg
6264C2AF-AC16-47EC-9DB3-ABD841908122.jpeg

Attachments

• 0130BD6F-94D3-4016-A51E-6B69DAC4433D.jpeg
    0130BD6F-94D3-4016-A51E-6B69DAC4433D.jpeg
    484.5 KB · Views: 51
Back