Rustler: a year in review

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mtbmatty

RCTalk Talkaholic
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Flying
The rustler was a Christmas present for my son last year. We’ve been addicts ever since.
The car has held up remarkably well, and we still love to drive it.
-We killed 2 sets of NIMH batteries, and converted to 2S Lipo
broken A arm rear, replaced with RPM
- burned up the motor (my fault) there was dirt in there after a crash that I made no real effort to remove
-broken camber blocks

I thought the servo was toast as it would not fully turn left, so I grabbed an amazon special and that’s when I found 1 broken, and 1 cracked camber block. ….oops, installed the servo anyway since we had it.

Got this car running like new, and had it out over the weekend.

8618E111-8904-4064-9A43-C867DAC0040F.jpeg

The rustler was a Christmas present for my son last year. We’ve been addicts ever since.
The car has held up remarkably well, and we still love to drive it.
-We killed 2 sets of NIMH batteries, and converted to 2S Lipo
broken A arm rear, replaced with RPM
- burned up the motor (my fault) there was dirt in there after a crash that I made no real effort to remove
-broken camber blocks

I thought the servo was toast as it would not fully turn left, so I grabbed an amazon special and that’s when I found 1 broken, and 1 cracked camber block. ….oops, installed the servo anyway since we had it.

Got this car running like new, and had it out over the weekend.

View attachment 157818
I love the Rustler. Glad you're enjoying it too :)

While I think this is a great entry level RTR with cost effective replacement parts, I also feel Traxxas is well over due to revamp these entry level cars.

While I think this is a great entry level RTR with cost effective replacement parts, I also feel Traxxas is well over due to revamp these entry level cars.
Yep the bandit and rustler are almost identical to their 90s/00s ones.

I run my wife's Rustler once in a while. It's so much different from my Vorteks. I like them both and the Vorteks fits my driving better but the Rustler is a blast too.

I run my wife's Rustler once in a while. It's so much different from my Vorteks. I like them both and the Vorteks fits my driving better but the Rustler is a blast too.
For sure!!

The brushed motor is a noticeable difference. The switch to lipo was a game changer, I wish we had done sooner…

The rustler was great we had a vxl back in 2010 ! Put a 3s in it after a couple of months of having it and wow it flew , I think I remember putting the bigger pinion on aswell that came with it but I’m sure I was hitting the 70mph zone with it !

Sadly I think the esc went and it stayed in the attic for 8 years. Then when we tidied out it got chucked in the skip ! I wasn’t into the hobby when we binned it should ov kept it now prob would of got it running again 😌

The rustler was great we had a vxl back in 2010 ! Put a 3s in it after a couple of months of having it and wow it flew , I think I remember putting the bigger pinion on aswell that came with it but I’m sure I was hitting the 70mph zone with it !

Sadly I think the esc went and it stayed in the attic for 8 years. Then when we tidied out it got chucked in the skip ! I wasn’t into the hobby when we binned it should ov kept it now prob would of got it running again 😌
Sounds like a good time to start new!

Back